Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 19:23   #1

Boat: Piver Victress
Radar to Laptop

You know what I want ... what I really really want ... is Radar to my laptop ...

Does any manufacturer already do this &, if not then why not ?
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 20:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Radar to Laptop

I looked into it and found one or two companies that offered this but it would only work with certain radar domes and was very expensive.

I think we will have to wait a while for this idea to make the mainstream.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 23:08   #3

Here is a comparison of RADARs and whether or not they support PC connectivity either exclusively (no chart plotter) or whether there is also a chart plotter available.
RADAR Comparison.xlsx - Microsoft Excel Web App

Most important thing to know is that if you want a particular chart plotter then you are tied to that companies software. The software only RADARs have several software options.

-p
Old 15-05-2011, 07:08   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Thanks for that Excel file...looks useful.

Personally, because I prefer RADAR as a representation of what is over what is supposed to be (plotters), I don't mind at all a standalone radar screen. The smaller type can be on an armature and swung into view as needed. What I want is the ability to route that live image to a PC and/or other monitor on a VGA cable or USB to software.

I don't think the radar makers want me to do this, for obvious reasons.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 07:42   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

The MaxSea Time Zero Explorer Pack allows a few Furuno Radar models on a PC/laptop.

MaxSea Time Zero Features List

But, not cheap!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 22:34   #6

Post Re: Radar to Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
What I want is the ability to route that live image to a PC and/or other monitor on a VGA cable or USB to software.

I don't think the radar makers want me to do this, for obvious reasons.
You can do that... You need to buy a RADAR that supports connecting to a PC. ALL of the ones that support connecting the RADAR to a PC support overlaying the RADAR image on a chart in the PC Chartplotting software.

SOME of the RADARS support BOTH a PC and a dedicated Chartplotter. NONE of these is a "dual monitor" configuration like you describe.

Although with a PC based system you can have as many monitors are your operating system supports.

-p
Old 16-05-2011, 07:20   #7

That's what I was getting at...I want output to a PC-based solution in that I don't care for standalone chartplotters and especially do not wish to install a MFD (too much "convenience" in a single failure point), but I do not require something that outputs directly to a monitor. I would simply duplicate the display on a laptop or network or mini-computer to a handy monitor. Picture chatting with the crew and having an AIS/RADAR at full range displayed on the same monitor you watch "family movie night" on: You could say, coming off watch, "look for this tanker M/V Soandso at 18 NM, bearing 320 and freighter "Whatever" at 11 NM, bearing 180 and making 10 knots better than us".

Said crew sees a picture of a developing situation (same with squalls, t-storms or close approaches to land), and you have a nice nap knowing that your deck watch was current as of when you hit the berth.

I have a pilothouse of size large enough to support all this, but I actually believe that MFDs keep you staring at the MFDs instead of at the sea. I would rather have a simple plotter or even a portable GPS at the outside helm giving me LAT/LON, SOG, course, heading and XTE...and that's it, and consult the RADAR/AIS and PC-based plotter a few times per watch by going "down below" and making use of guard zones, MARPA alerts, etc. On deck, at the "sailing helm" position, I want text GPS data, a good compass, and an eyeline to an analog windspeed indicator. That will drive my eyes and my attention to the sea and the rest of the boat, where it should be. Frankly, at night, I use ears probably more than eyes.

That's just my fairly specialized take on it, as a lot of people like to have giant screens in aft cockpits telling them oil pressure and engine revs, the price of diesel in the next port and what they are downloading from Netflix. The dirty little secret of AIS is that it helps you avoid some of your fellow yachties...hehehheheh
Old 16-05-2011, 08:17   #8

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtadpole View Post
You know what I want ... what I really really want ... is Radar to my laptop ...

Does any manufacturer already do this &, if not then why not ?
Nobeltec does it. Might be pricey!

Radar Software Features
Old 16-05-2011, 13:52   #9

Boat: Taswell 49

Doesnt Raymarine's RNS software do this?

Raymarine Marine Electronics - RayTech RNS v6.2 (Full Version)

Im guessing you need to be running a Raymarine Scanner and maybe you need one of thier MFD's but does say here "Simply connect your PC’s Ethernet port to your Raymarine SeaTalkhs network to share instrument data, view live radar and fishfinder on your PC, and to exchange waypoints and routes with ease"

And at only $700 its a bargain!
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 15:57   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

your arguments against MFDs dont make sense. If you just wanat a radar dispplay , then many companies make just that ( japan radio, furuno, etc). As to why youd rely on a crappy PC with the reliability of a typical lada , I dont know. think again.

Dave
Old 16-05-2011, 18:22   #11

Because I assemble my own crappy PCs. I don't assemble crappy chartplotters. Then there's that whole "I can buy eight netbooks for the price of one MFD" thing, but hey, to each his own.
Old 16-05-2011, 22:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
That's what I was getting at...I want output to a PC-based solution in that I don't care for standalone chartplotters and especially do not wish to install a MFD (too much "convenience" in a single failure point), but I do not require something that outputs directly to a monitor. I would simply duplicate the display on a laptop or network or mini-computer to a handy monitor.
I'm not 100% sure you got what I said.
You CAN do exactly what you're saying.

Koden RADARPC is the RADOME that connects to your network and then you can have a PC get the RADAR image: Marine Electronics Products | Koden Electronics Co., Ltd.

That's what I bought, but have yet to install yet.

-p
Old 17-05-2011, 07:17   #13

You're right. I wasn't sure you were even addressing me.
OK, I looked at the link and I agree: that's quite useful to me.

I also like Koden because they are a very small presence on the recreational market, but a lot of fishermen and freighters have them. When I have a choice, I prefer to buy pro or semi-pro grade gear because we intend to spend a lot of time offshore and durability is more important to me than a bunch of pretty extras. Also, I've used a now elderly Koden CRT set and I found it perfectly fine except for the power draw.

Please keep us posted on how this works as I'm sure there are many people interested in the idea of expanding the use of their PCs/netbooks aboard to include radar. I am also interested in how this specific unit (I am assuming you got the 2KW radome) draws power in its various modes and how it does seeing the weather when the "knobs" are virtual on your PC.
Old 17-05-2011, 09:45   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy
Because I assemble my own crappy PCs. I don't assemble crappy chartplotters. Then there's that whole "I can buy eight netbooks for the price of one MFD" thing, but hey, to each his own.
Yes but the basic components in an average Pc is crappy. Good stuff is more expensive the a dedicated plotter. Try getting your netbook wet.
Dave
Old 17-05-2011, 11:40   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but the basic components in an average Pc is crappy. Good stuff is more expensive the a dedicated plotter. Try getting your netbook wet.
Dave
Actually, if you get the good components you can make a really good PC, as good and reliable as any "marine" equipment.

Not easy to waterproof the PC but it is easy to rig an external, remote monitor that you can waterproof. Then you can have a system where you don't pay a marine electronics company a huge premium for them to sell you NOAA charts that they get free and encode in a proprietary format.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop, radar