Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2022, 12:55   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004
Radio Licencing Annual Fee For MMSI

Hi All

I recently installed a Vesper Cortex System which meant I had to have a Licence from Radio Spectrum NZ in order to obtain the necessary MMSI number for registering on the database. I have obtained the qualification for operating VHF, which doesn't attract an annual fee.

Is it the same everywhere that an annual fee is charged to maintain that MMSI on the database? Currently in NZ it's $150NZ.

Also, recently they claimed that I hadn't paid the annual account. I went back to my records and saw that I paid it in July by credit card, but they say they never got it. They asked what account number I paid it into, but those details don't show on the bank statement. They will close my account if this is not resolved.

Should I pay again or let the Licence lapse? Will it affect the use of my AIS? (I only have VHF and no need at this time for any other type of radio.)

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RadioSpectrum.png
Views:	98
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	264589  
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 14:05   #2

Boat: Grampian 30
Re: Radio Licencing Annual Fee For MMSI

Wow, that's steep. I paid $38.72 this year. However this is for the station license for the fixed VHF on the boat which includes the MMSI for that unit, the Radar, and any handhelds, although they technically don't require one. If I had AIS transmit it might be more but I doubt it, I recall the application just asked me to list all devices capable of transmitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 5.00.07 PM.jpg Views: 74 Size: 346.1 KB ID: 264594" style="margin: 2px" />

As for whether you should let it lapse, I guess that depends on the laws/regulations in your country. In Canada it is required to have a station license for a fixed VHF or any other fixed device capable of transmitting such as Radar, AIS etc. Mobile devices such as handhelds only require a Restricted Radio License - Marine, which does not expire or have annual fees. I keep my station license current because I don't want the hassle or additional expense of a fine if I'm inspected and found without one. I was actually stopped and inspected by the CG this season. They checked all safety gear, vessel registration, and VHF license. All in order thankfully except for flares which expired last year.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 18:00   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

The thing to do is check what the penalty is for transmitting from an unlicensed ships station, evaluate the chances of being issued with an infringement notice, and decide from there.

In your defense at the magistrates court you propose that it being a safety device which cannot interfere with other users it is an abuse of the law to have a requirement for licensing anyway.
Old 16-09-2022, 21:10   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

I would advise against not maintaining the license. It isn't just a number you transmit, it is held in a database, and if it isn't there, the AIS/DSC/EPIRB etc. are not functioning as intended, and that could lead to a safety issue.

I also imagine that Coast Guard ships will check the database of ships that pass by, and if there is something wrong, the MMSI is invalid, or doesn't match the type of vessel, state flag, etc. they will investigate. I sure don't want the CG coming up on me thinking I might be a drug smuggler or something.

In the USA it is $220 and lasts 10 years for a license that covers VHF, SSB, and Satellite.

If they can't find your payment from July, pay it again, and then have your bank reverse the charge from July.
Old 16-09-2022, 22:47   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry1 View Post
Hi All

I recently installed a Vesper Cortex System which meant I had to have a Licence from Radio Spectrum NZ in order to obtain the necessary MMSI number for registering on the database. I have obtained the qualification for operating VHF, which doesn't attract an annual fee.

Is it the same everywhere that an annual fee is charged to maintain that MMSI on the database? Currently in NZ it's $150NZ.

Also, recently they claimed that I hadn't paid the annual account. I went back to my records and saw that I paid it in July by credit card, but they say they never got it. They asked what account number I paid it into, but those details don't show on the bank statement. They will close my account if this is not resolved.

Should I pay again or let the Licence lapse? Will it affect the use of my AIS? (I only have VHF and no need at this time for any other type of radio.)

Thanks.
I would suggest a conversation with your financial provider seeking the required information re the credit card payment, then on to the radio licence provider.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 23:44   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Radio Licencing Annual Fee For MMSI

I’m not aware of any countries charging annually to maintain the MMSI as active. In fact I think this contravenes the IMO regulations

Once issued a MMSI cannot be normally rescinded.

My vhf ships station license which issues the call sign and MMSI , was €20 to issue , lifetime expiry no further charge , this registers all radio transmitting equipment on board , ie epirb , radar , vhf , ais , etc

Equally my vhf operators cert needed to acquire the above was €50 once of payment , lifetime validity.

Note that even when your MMSI is not registered it’s still transmitted by the epirb , your vhf , ais etc.

About 15 years ago the Irish communications regulator abolished all repetitious charges ( mostly 5 and 10 year ) after a review found it was costing more to collect the money and manage the system then the fees provided.
Old 17-09-2022, 01:07   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I would suggest a conversation with your financial provider seeking the required information re the credit card payment, then on to the radio licence provider.
^^This +1.

The money has gone somewhere and most likely has gone to some government department. Your financial provider will be able to determine where it is and then you can have a meaningful conversation with the radio licence provider.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 05:58   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've been following this to see if anyone from NZ knows the true answer.

In the US, you can get an MMSI number for recreational vessels which don't require a ship's license. The MMSI is a one-time issuance, good for as long as you own the boat. There's no annual fee for the recreational MMSI number, just a nominal one-time fee.

The ship's license is for 10 years and includes the MMSI. After ten years there's a nominal renewal fee.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 06:47   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've been following this to see if anyone from NZ knows the true answer.

In the US, you can get an MMSI number for recreational vessels which don't require a ship's license. The MMSI is a one-time issuance, good for as long as you own the boat. There's no annual fee for the recreational MMSI number, just a nominal one-time fee.

The ship's license is for 10 years and includes the MMSI. After ten years there's a nominal renewal fee.
The mmsi you get from boat us etc is not internationally valid and does not get entered into the international itu database

If you apply to the fcc , you will get standard ships radio license including call sign and mmsi. That mmsi is registered with the itu. There is a renewal period.

When you no longer own the boat , the radio details follow the boat unless you request a cancellation
Old 17-09-2022, 07:21   #10

NZ is much like the US; there are two systems for VHF licenses and MMSI numbers. Under the General User Radio License (GURL) you can receive a call sign and MMSI at no annual cost, but this is only valid for use within NZ waters. For travel outside NZ waters you should/must (depends on how you read things) get an individual license, which can include an MMSI, that comes with an annual $150 fee attached.

Also like the US, for a GURL and MMSI you must contact (and pay if they charge) an external Approved Radio Examiner.

Sounds like the OP has gone down the path of the individual license, and if traveling overseas that should probably be maintained (in which case contact the bank to prove payment, as suggested above). If, however, the boat is to be used in NZ the license could be abandoned and a new call sign/MMSI obtained under the GURL (I do not know if Spectrum has a conversion process to move the individual call sign to GURL, but worth asking). If changing the MMSI in the AIS is locked Vesper are pretty easy to work with in getting that done.

https://www.rsm.govt.nz/licensing/fr...time-purposes/
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 07:39   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
NZ is much like the US; there are two systems for VHF licenses and MMSI numbers. Under the General User Radio License (GURL) you can receive a call sign and MMSI at no annual cost, but this is only valid for use within NZ waters. For travel outside NZ waters you should/must (depends on how you read things) get an individual license, which can include an MMSI, that comes with an annual $150 fee attached.

Also like the US, for a GURL and MMSI you must contact (and pay if they charge) an external Approved Radio Examiner.

Sounds like the OP has gone down the path of the individual license, and if traveling overseas that should probably be maintained (in which case contact the bank to prove payment, as suggested above). If, however, the boat is to be used in NZ the license could be abandoned and a new call sign/MMSI obtained under the GURL (I do not know if Spectrum has a conversion process to move the individual call sign to GURL, but worth asking). If changing the MMSI in the AIS is locked Vesper are pretty easy to work with in getting that done.

https://www.rsm.govt.nz/licensing/fr...time-purposes/
That’s strange , I know NZ gives you a call sign without a formal ships radio license but I always thought that you needed a NZ ships radio license to get an mmsi.

To give out non international mmsi , a number range has to be allocated , I know the US got an allocation when dsc was setup , I wasnt aware any other country got a seperate a,location for non international mmsi,s , are you sure NZ issues national non itu mmsis ? It doesn’t make any sense to do so.
Old 17-09-2022, 08:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
..., are you sure NZ issues national non itu mmsis ? It doesn’t make any sense to do so.
No, pretty sure there is only one set of MMSI in NZ, but two ways to get one assigned. It’s all ITU driven, and interpretation of the requirements thereunder. Both the US and NZ (and other countries for all I know) have created a group ‘license’ for vessel use within their own waters, and that license has many call signs. Outside their own waters the interpretation is that this group license does not meet ITU obligations/requirements and thus an individual ship station/operator license is required.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 09:00   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
No, pretty sure there is only one set of MMSI in NZ, but two ways to get one assigned. It’s all ITU driven, and interpretation of the requirements thereunder. Both the US and NZ (and other countries for all I know) have created a group ‘license’ for vessel use within their own waters, and that license has many call signs. Outside their own waters the interpretation is that this group license does not meet ITU obligations/requirements and thus an individual ship station/operator license is required.
I’m not aware of any other country that issues non international mmsis, other then the us. The US got this concession when dsc/ mmsi was established

The nz licensing web site says a call sign can be nationally allocated , but makes no mention of a National only mmsi.

Group call mmsi are different , these are never registered with the itu anyway
Old 17-09-2022, 09:25   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekton73 View Post
In Canada it is required to have a station license for a fixed VHF or any other fixed device capable of transmitting such as Radar, AIS etc.
I don't believe Canada requires a station license for VHF, MMSI, etc IF you are staying within Canadian waters.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 10:42   #15
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
I don't believe Canada requires a station license for VHF, MMSI, etc IF you are staying within Canadian waters.

So it would seem. They don’t issue call signs to such vessels interestingly

Station Identification
Will call signs still be issued?

Industry Canada will no longer be issuing radio licences for ships or vessels which meet the exemption criteria; therefore a call sign will no longer be assigned to these stations.

Tags
enc, radio