Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 16:55   #1

Boat: 39 Bruce Roberts Pilot house Sloop
Radome with wifi connection to your ipad?

I have yet to see this but as someone who just lost his radar I looking for it. Would love to hear if anyone sees this coming soon.

I did see a thread in which someone was able to go Direct to their windows machine via a cable. Would live an update on how that is working for folks .

I have. Current raymarine " sea talk" suite (older 1802? ) that includes a flux gate compass (i think this what it is called)so am wondering if that would be compatible with current HD radomes .

I'm impressed with garmin and am leaning that way but if I could use the old compass for heading info that may keep me in the ray marine group.

Thoughts?

Thx,

Dave
Daveineugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 21:01   #2

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Look at the Raymarine ITC 5 converter and Seatalk NG to Seatalk 1 converter. I built a Seatalk NG and Seatalk system using those two items supplying data to old and new Raymarine components.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 23:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
Look at the Raymarine ITC 5 converter and Seatalk NG to Seatalk 1 converter. I built a Seatalk NG and Seatalk system using those two items supplying data to old and new Raymarine components.
Thx for the direction. Will do!
Old 25-09-2013, 07:38   #4

Re: Radome with wifi connection to your ipad?

Navico brands Lowrance, B&G, Simrad all work with wifi, and there are apps available for iPad, iPhone, and Android. Navico has released a software development kit to help 3rd parties integrate with wifi. Do some research on their WIFI-1

Also, I've read that some of their broadband radars (BR24, 3G and maybe 4G) can be overlaid on a PC due to some 3rd party work.

You really should read up on the OpenCPN software section that is hosted on this forum.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 08:02   #5

Thx. I have a navico broad band radar on order and will read up on the open cpn. Dave
Old 26-09-2013, 05:03   #6

Re: Radome with wifi connection to your ipad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveineugene View Post
Thx. I have a navico broad band radar on order and will read up on the open cpn. Dave
The particular Navico display that you choose will also make a difference with how it works. For example, if you want to be able to touch you iPad or phone to control the display remotely (beyond just mirroring the screen) then I think you'll need a "touch" version of the plotter (MFD) on the network.

My understanding is that if you use their product for the wireless router, it's a lot more "plug and play" and may have more features. Though I've
heard that there is some functionality with any brand wifi device.

I've just read their materials and forum postings, no first hand knowledge of this all working.

I'm very interested in getting Navico brand radars on OpenCPN.

Good luck, and let us know how it works for you. I'm also considering their broadband radar.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote