Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2021, 05:21   #1

Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply

I have been testing a Rasberry Pi 4b as an offgrid data display and archiver for my Victron power system for those times I do not have internet available, and don't have access to the VRM system. It is an awesome tool, as is the whole Victron ecosystem. But now that I have gotten past the prototype phase and want to move to routine usage, I need a more elegant way to power the Pi than a brick plugged into my inverter.

Any suggestions for a 24V input power supply that outputs on a USB C cord amps sufficient to power a R-Pi with a selfpowered SSD? If I can't find a 24V solution, I could make do with 12V.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:45   #2

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply

I've had good results with the inexpensive DC-DC switching converters from the far east. One (step-down) has been feeding 4 USB jacks on our boat for about 4 years now. And I'm now using little step-up modules to power some specialized equipment from the common USB Li battery "booster" packs. Most of the modules accept up to +35v in.

I've also had good results modifying some surplus car cell-phone chargers.

What voltage(s) and current(s) do you need for the pi plus SSD?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I've had good results with the inexpensive DC-DC switching converters from the far east. One (step-down) has been feeding 4 USB jacks on our boat for about 4 years now. And I'm now using little step-up modules to power some specialized equipment from the common USB Li battery "booster" packs. Most of the modules accept up to +35v in.

I've also had good results modifying some surplus car cell-phone chargers.

What voltage(s) and current(s) do you need for the pi plus SSD?

Watch the RFI on these things. Some of them wipe out HF and some go well into the VHF spectrum. I had to go through a few to power my laptop to get one that was just annoying and not terrible.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:35   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Funny how these things come in waves. I just posted this same item yesterday for a laptop charger, we use the same brick for a Pi 4.

Amazon

Amazon says this one is not available, but there are many similar with the 12-24V input. Cut off the connector and away you go.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Watch the RFI on these things. Some of them wipe out HF and some go well into the VHF spectrum. I had to go through a few to power my laptop to get one that was just annoying and not terrible.
Thanks, good advice.

I haven't noticed any interference on FM broadcast or on marine VHF from ours... but I will check more carefully, and if necessary add some ferrites or an inductor+capacitor low-pass filter. We're seldom pulling more than an amp max from the thing.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:26   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Check out these little power boost bricks... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017TPRLLY there's versions for 12 volt and 24 volt I believe. They're pretty cheap and so far reliable for me, I've been using one to power a single board computer with an SSD for about 3 years with no issues.

I have it wired to a small fuse terminal, accepting 12 volts from the main banks. It then boosts and delivers steady power to the computer regardless of what our banks are at. They're essentially a heat-sink and seem to work pretty well.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:21   #7

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

My RPi4s run on 5V 3.5A, so just the little Blue Sea Systems USB port (the 4.8A version model 1045 accepts 12v & 24v I believe). Then connected to a USB A to C cord. I have 3 Pis running like this 2 with attached SSDs and one with the PiMonitor.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 13:51   #8

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

It has been my experience that the Raspberry Pi is voltage sensitive and best runs at 5.1 volts to get rid of the dreaded lightning bolt. Shop for supply bricks that deliver 12v -> 5.1 v at any amperage that hauls the freight given the amount of hats or accessories that you are running....
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 14:13   #9

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I don't know if this suits your situation but it seems an elegant solution, NMEA 2000 power to rip
https://seabits.com/nmea-2000-powered-raspberry-pi/
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 16:30   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I have a Carnetix power supply designed to run vehicular computers - multiple outputs, wide range input. Check them out.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:35   #11

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

has anyone used a Raspberry Pi to run a (free) navigation system up to and including the display?
If so would they post the configuration here so we Luddites can try and copy it :-)
Thanks
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
has anyone used a Raspberry Pi to run a (free) navigation system up to and including the display?
If so would they post the configuration here so we Luddites can try and copy it :-)
Thanks
Bill
Just a word of caution: these systems require a fair amount of learning and effort. So if you haven't already got hours of nerdly experience under your belt, or don't relish the commitment to doing same... you would be further ahead by buying a small 12v industrial computer or an older laptop, putting Linux on it, and then installing OpenCPN and other navigation applications.

With that said - here's a starting point
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ra...mputer-sailing

I run some pi boards at home but have loaded boating stuff on an old laptop running Linux. Its just less hassle.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:50   #13

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Thumbs up Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply

Regretfully I date back to DoS 3.1 and soldering chips onto a board for more memory, so the lead is much appreciated and funnily enough I was looking for Toms Hardware just a few days ago.
LOL
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Just a word of caution: these systems require a fair amount of learning and effort. So if you haven't already got hours of nerdly experience under your belt, or don't relish the commitment to doing same... you would be further ahead by buying a small 12v industrial computer or an older laptop, putting Linux on it, and then installing OpenCPN and other navigation applications.

With that said - here's a starting point
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ra...mputer-sailing

I run some pi boards at home but have loaded boating stuff on an old laptop running Linux. Its just less hassle.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote