Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2020, 21:24   #1

Boat: Columbia 50
Raymarine AP rip-off - how can I avoid....

My boat has an older autopilot - I’d like to update the brains

The boat has a perfectly serviceable type 2 rotary drive, and as per RM, requires an acu400 brain box. Said box costs $1500, puts out 30amps continuous. The next model down, the acu200, puts out 15 amps continuous, is presumably the exact same brain with a lighter-weight power output, and only costs $700

I would think the actual cost difference to RM is a few dollars for a some heavier-duty SS relays, and the $800 delta seems like some major gouging.

Can some relays be rigged after the controller so that one could drive the motor with minimal current from the brain?

TIA,

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 21:54   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Raymarine AP rip-off - how can I avoid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
My boat has an older autopilot - I’d like to update the brains

The boat has a perfectly serviceable type 2 rotary drive, and as per RM, requires an acu400 brain box. Said box costs $1500, puts out 30amps continuous. The next model down, the acu200, puts out 15 amps continuous, is presumably the exact same brain with a lighter-weight power output, and only costs $700

I would think the actual cost difference to RM is a few dollars for a some heavier-duty SS relays, and the $800 delta seems like some major gouging.

Can some relays be rigged after the controller so that one could drive the motor with minimal current from the brain?

TIA,

Matt
Yes, can be done. I did that on a Navico AP unit when I upgraded the drive, and needed more electric power than the computer could supply. Worked a treat. Look for a solid state motor reversing relay to match the specs you need for voltage, power, etc.

Spend the extra for one with the largest MBTF you can find. It will be switching often...
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine