Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2010, 10:58   #1

Boat: DeFever 49
Raymarine Autopilot 6000 Reciprocal Course Display

My autopilot more or less on it's own started displaying the reciprocal ( opposite the ships compass) course. The chart plotter RL 80 displays the red/green marks on the opposite sides of the channel. The auto pilot will steer a good course. Any thoughts?
Funkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 13:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Funkie.

Could it be in a Man Overboard Mode, such as below?

"... If the vessel is turned through 110° or more when the ST60+ Compass Instrument

is in lock mode, the ST60+ Compass Instrument automatically locks to the
reciprocal of the original course (180° from the original). The digital display shows
the reciprocal course and the pointer shows the course error from the reciprocal
course.
The reciprocal course function is reversible, so that a second similar turn would
lock onto the original locked course.
Note: The Man overboard/reciprocal course feature is not available when operating in Auto mode.
.."

See ➥ http://www.raymarine.cz/en-EU/produc...tl1548086=6654

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:52   #3

Boat: DeFever 49
Installed instrumentation -No Compass Instrument

I do not have the "Compass Instrument" installed. I have - Wind, Speed, Depth. The control head for the 6000 autopilot and an RL 80 charter plotter to play with. Can't find anything that resembles a 'Lock Setting'.
Funkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 13:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The 6000 has a control head, a rudder indicator, a fluxgate compass and a drive unit that all connect to a course computer that also has the power transistors for the drive unit. If you have th book on it find the pictures.

You can do a little experiment.

You need to find the fluxgate compass. It is usually mounted forward and center in a small black box. This is where the compass heading comes from. What you see on the display is what comes from the computer. A fluxgate integrates through the four 90 degree quadrants and it is possible that it is busted. A 180 degree error makes me think it might be so I can help you prove it one way or another.

It is easy to test if you unmount it but do not disconnect it and using a crew member manually rotate the compass as if the boat is turning slowly as you tell them how far and watch the display. This is easier to do in the slip than running the boat on the water. You can start with it pointing as it sits in the slip and validate the 90 degree transitions both clockwise and counter-clockwise. If it can register the generally correct settings then you know it is not the compass. The compass should be held level as it is turned. This is SO much easier than motoring around in the boat.

Also examine to see you have not placed something made of steel near this compass that didn't used to be there. Removing that object would be the best solution since it takes nothing to fix. Don't laugh it happens more than you think.

It is possible the course computer is in trouble and in that case you'll need a replacement and they are not inexpensive. You won't find an original but you can use a newer one if you contact Raymarine with the model of the control head at the helm. They can tell you which computers go with that control head. They all use the same fluxgate and rudder control and should alsp work the drive unit too.

Note that Raymarine will not repair any components. They only replace them. I have a friend that can fix them but he isn't as healthy as he used to be. I did learn a bunch of his testing tricks that I can pass along. He fixed autopilots on both boats I've owned. There really are a lot of simple things you can do to determine what part of the auto pilot is NOT failing and so get to what is failing. The compass gone bad is most common and you can use a brand new one to replace it. The rudder indicator is another one that is easy to test if you have multimeter.

The computer is in two parts. One half is where the wires all go to and is connected to the main unit via a 25 pin connector on each half. The soldering on the connectors can go bad or in my case the connectors can go bad. When the signals don't flow to the computer it won't work right. Start by testing the cheap and easy to replace parts first. Being lucky still counts.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 15:04   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I had the same problem when my wife put her THIGHMASTER in the closet with the compass. If you have the manual, there is a procedure for calibrating the compass, the manual is available online at Raymarine.com. You might try a hard reset of the computer - instructions also available online.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 16:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I had the same problem when my wife put her THIGHMASTER in the closet with the compass.
That's a good one. Most people may not know where their fluxgate is until you put the pipe wrench next to it and go nuts figuring it out. My last boat had an anomaly where the fluxgate was and it never ever worked properly. No metal near but it sure was proven using the above test. We extended the wires and just searched around until we found a better home for it.

The original owner stopped at every place she went up and down the east coast only to stump everyone. I never figured it out until I was selling the boat having bought Bright Eyes. I only ever used it working properly one time. It was fine on totally flat water but when fixed it held well in 25 knots of wind waves and all. A good hydraulic pilot earns it's keep in the rough weather.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, raymarine