Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2023, 10:30   #1

Boat: Oyster 485 48'
Raymarine Autopilt

Well, Raymarine strikes again with me. I received an email telling me my autopilot is being recalled because it could fail and to contact a local certified reseller to have them replace the unit, I did. Well turns out they are not standing behind thier product and providing me a replacement because I didn't have it installed by a certified installer, and was basically told to pound sand. I don't currently have a mailbox for them to send one to me and they will not send one to a local authorized reseller for me to collect, nor will they install it even though I paid someone to install the unit in the first place, they just were not a certified installer. My question is, if you only stand behind your product if it's installed by a certified installer why are you selling your stuff in retail stores and Amazon? Buyer beware, don't by Raymarine if your a DIY, they will not honor the warrantee in the event they discover a fatal flaw in Thier equipment. Your on your own..

Quote:
.Dear Raymarine Partners,

As part of our regular quality monitoring, we are contacting you to advise that it has come to our attention that a small quantity of ACU-150 / ACU-400 units manufactured between June and July 2022 have been fitted with a drive component of incorrect specification. The serial numbers of this batch are the following:

Model: E70430
Serial Number Range: 0620001 to 0720131 and 0720203

Model: E70100
Serial Number Range: 0620001 to 0720151, 0420339 and 0920329

This could prevent the ACU from driving in one direction or both directions or could cause it to steer fully in one direction, potentially giving rise to a loss of directional control unless or until the system is disconnected.

Any customers who have registered products from the affected batch on the Raymarine Portal, or installers, Service dealers or OEMs who have purchased/supplied products or installed products which are affected, will be notified separately and directly and will have been instructed to replace the specifically identified ACUs. This Technical Update is being sent to you as you may be contacted by a customer impacted by this issue. In such a case, please assist them in verifying whether their product is within the affected group by checking against the above ranges of serial numbers and where confirmed, contact us to arrange for a replacement of the ACU at the earliest opportunity.

Please read the ACU-150/400 safety bulletin for full details of the issues and the corrective actions required.

Following replacement of the ACU, we strongly recommend that a re-calibration of the Autopilot system is carried out by completing the Dockside Wizard. A Seatrial Calibration is not necessary following replacement, although it is always good practice to carry out a seatrial calibration whenever any significant component or equipment onboard a boat is moved or replaced.

The replacement ACU should be obtained through the Raymarine Portal, where an advance replacement should be requested in order to minimize the inconvenience to the customer. All affected units will be replaced by Raymarine under warranty. The warranty allowance for this is 1.5 hours (or 2 hours if a sea trial and / or calibration is required).

Please return the original ACU in the same packaging and with all the unused ancillary parts as supplied with the replacement ACU.

If you have any questions, please contact your regional sales manager.
Takitimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 11:11   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Raymarine Autopilt

I would accuse them of false advertising if their warranty is not valid when purchasing from west marine and other retail outlets. Probably won’t work, but worth a shot.
Old 22-07-2023, 12:30   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I alos got the same notice. However, I disagree (for now) with the OP. My letter stated I could go through a certified dealer or return it myself to Raymarine. Nothing to suggest they won't deal with me directly.

I have not gone farther yet other than to contact Raymarine. Awaiting response. I bought it online from a Raymarine reseller and installed it myself.

Will report back soon with an update.
Old 22-07-2023, 13:15   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I alos got the same notice. However, I disagree (for now) with the OP. My letter stated I could go through a certified dealer or return it myself to Raymarine. Nothing to suggest they won't deal with me directly.

I have not gone farther yet other than to contact Raymarine. Awaiting response. I bought it online from a Raymarine reseller and installed it myself.

Will report back soon with an update.

Ok just went to Raymarine/Flir customer portal and created a "warranty repair" request under this recall. Instantly got an RMA and shipping label at their cost to return. So will be sending that back to them this coming week. Only downside... I will be without the unit for some indefinite period.

It could not have been any easier!!!
Old 24-07-2023, 11:24   #5

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

Raymarine suks@
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine