Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 06:48   #1

Boat: Carver Santego 380
Raymarine Axiom+ Operation

So my wife and I just purchased a brand new Whaler, 150 Montauk.* It came with this sweet chart plotter/sonar.* The thing seems overkill.* In any event I love the*technology; should be fun right?* lol.
It took a couple of days just to figure out how to set "Head-up" orientation.* The folks at Raymarine tell me that I need to buy a chart also.* Why then can I see a chart?* Which by the way, the unit keeps telling me that the chart needs updating.* There was no memory card in the slot.* There was no manual.* Online wasn't a great deal of help. Can those of you that are familiar with this unit offer some advice for this amateur? Obviously I'd like to get the most out of it.* How do you use yours?* Do I need a Navionics chart? What about the sonar.* This thing is intense.*The Garmin on my Carver cruiser is much easier to understand... and use.
celmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 10:10   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Raymarine Axiom+ Operation

Welcome to CF

Chart Plotters tend to come with a very basic chart, but if you want the detail then you need to buy a chart for your area. Navionics is one option but there are others, see the manual.

The manual for the Axiom is here:

https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/3t83...er/21066102633

Do you have sonar at the moment? if not visit your local Raymarine dealer because there are lots of options and prices, naturally.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 20:49   #3

I have an Axiom (not the more recent plus version). They can come with a basemap (a very basic map, not really suitable for navigation per-se). Axioms typically have three options for maps - Raymarines LightHouse charts, C-Map and Navionics (what i got). They do come on micro-sd cards. You can actually go into the menu's and see if a specific map/chart is selected and what it is.

From what I've seen "head up" is not an implemented feature. You can read about it here.
https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=4230

Axioms are solid units - they are fairly intuitive, simple and easy to operate. They do lack some more advanced features, but that doesn't mean it's a bad product.

I have mine setup with sonar for fishing and backup depth, it is also integrated with an autopilot. I'm not an expert on Axioms, but I do find them easy and solid.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 05:16   #4

Boat: Carver Santego 380

I have purchased a Navionics chart online, it is on it's way.
I'll get the hang of it. Thanks.
celmem is offline   Reply With Quote