Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2022, 18:28   #1

Boat: Pan Oceanic 46
Raymarine Axiom - STF and Depth

Hopefully I'm not missing some threads on this subject but a bit of an issue with my RM Axiom 9 and device networking.
We haven't had the boat long but after I did a software update on the MFD Chart Plotter I seem to have lost Depth and STW readings. I have tried using Raymarine Support but they are quite hopeless so hopefully someone here has some ideas.
There is no Transducer going directly to the back of the Display as this is connected to the seperate Furuno Sounder. I assume that STW can only be measured via the Log (Paddle Wheel) which seems to be connected directly to the ST50 Speed Instrument....so I am confused how the Plotter originally showed STW. Looking at the Raymarine network, it would seem the Log could be connected to a Analogue to Digital convertor (itc-5) which could then sit on the backbone and be available as a data source for the Chart Plotter....but getting Depth is different as the Log I think only deals with Speed and temp.
Be interested in peoples thoughts on the subject and the best way forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220228_145535.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	254832  
conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 19:17   #2

Re: Raymarine Axiom - STF and Depth

If you have an iTC-5 then that is doing analogue to digital conversion - it converts analogue depth, speed and windspeed to SeaTalkNG (which is basically NMEA 2000). See page 10 of the iTC-5 manual (87138-3-EN.pdf) for supported data types.

The i60 can also read Raymarine wind transducers directly, and it also has a SeaTalkNG, so I think it probably outputs SeaTalkNG too.

The ST50 is a ****ing antique, but I believe it talks SeaTalk (not "NG"), which is Raymarine's name for NMEA 0183 - the ST50 could, I suppose, be connected to the iTC-5 by SeaTalk and the iTC-5 would presumably then pass that to the SeaTalkNG network.

Speed and depth are often provided by separate transducers.

Check the Data Sources menu to see what speed and depth sources are available - see page 46 of the Axiom's advanced manual (google "LightHouse v3.16 Advanced Operation instructions 81370 (Rev 20) EN.pdf").

Is it possible it was previously displaying the GPS speed and not the STW speed?
KompetentKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 19:31   #3

Thanks for the reply,
I do remember seeing 2 speeds up on the display as I was discussing the differences when i was sailing her up home with the previous owner...just confused how it got that data. At the moment there are no data sources available and yes, there are some old instruments which i intend to get rid of.....the main instrument that is on the backbone is the ST70 which also I can use for Auto Pilot control rather than going to the Plotter.
Do you think its worth the spend on a ITC-5 to get the Paddle log connected and then use this data Source.
Looking for some neat options.
Old 23-03-2022, 19:45   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

I suggest checking the spur cable from the ITC-5 to the NMEA backbone or Raymarine display. Last spring I suddenly lost autopilot functionality as well as depth, speed and wind indications on my Axiom MFD. However, the Raymarine i50 display continued to show speed thru water from the paddlewheel and depth from the transducer so I (inxorrectly) assumed its spur cable was OK. I systematically unplugged spur cables to other instruments, swapped in new cables and even put in a new temporary NMEA 2000 backbone cable. I even swapped out the autopilot control head. In the end it turned out that the 7 year old spur cable from the ITC-5 to the i50 display had developed a short on one of its wires that was corrupting the NMEA data.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 22:32   #5

Sorry, I misread your original post and thought you already had an iTC-5.
Old 23-03-2022, 23:38   #6

No, but was wondering if I should get one to connect my Log sensor and others....if that would work...
Old 24-03-2022, 05:23   #7

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by conj View Post
I assume that STW can only be measured via the Log (Paddle Wheel) which seems to be connected directly to the ST50 Speed Instrument....so I am confused how the Plotter originally showed STW
Clear up that confusion first and follow the wires. You're most likely correct with your assumption.

The ST50 outputs NMEA0183 data over Seatalk1. Raymarine sells a Seatalk1-to-SeatalkNG converter kit, which either you already have somewhere in your system (if you previously had depth and STW on your Axiom) or you might use to get the ST50 data on the SeatalkNG/NMEA2000 bus.

PS: You might also need to configure your data sources on the Axiom. Check the fine manual for that.

Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 07:23   #8

I believe that older transducers, from the ST50 era, may not work with the iTC-5.

I spoke to Raymarine support and they just equivocated. I believe the basic technology is the same but they wouldn't commit to saying they'll work, and I think they said some people have had problems. I think the wind speed transducer may use a different voltage.

Consequently my upgrade away from ST50s is turning out quite expensive.
Old 24-03-2022, 18:37   #9

Thanks guys for responses, these things can become difficult and tracing cables on a 1976 Cape North Sloop is not an easy feat.
I would like to move away from the old ST50 and thats why i was hoping the iTC-5 would help but from what I hear, it may not work with my old transducers.
I will have to investigate the connections on the ST50 and there is already a Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG in the mix ...maybe as simple as a dodgy cable.....but would prefer to run the newer NG network across all instrumentation.
Old 24-03-2022, 19:57   #10

Boat: Columbia 50

With the itc5, you directly connect your analog sensors (windvane, depth, and log transducers) into the itc5. It outputs the data onto the NG network, and you can see all that data on you axiom, as well as any other nmea2000/NG capable instruments. Obviously, when you do this, your old instruments are no longer getting signal, and won show any info.

The transducers your old instruments use will work just fine with it. While I’m no sure about non-raymarine wind transducers, analog depth and paddle wheel transducers are basically interchangeable- if you look at airmar’s catalog, the same transducer has something like 20 different part numbers, depending on who’s connector is on the cable. (And you terminate bare wires to the itc5, so you’re cutting of whatever connector anyway. I’m fairly sure the major manufacturers simply relabel airman transducers to begin with)

An alternate path, as stated above, is to get a sea talk to NG converter, but now you are dépendant upon the old instruments to convert transducer signals to seatalk( nmea18whaever), and the converter to change that into NG.

I say toss the old instrument(s), get an itc5, and you can pick up an i70 to put in the hole(s). The i70 will show you whatever data you want, including wind.

I have this exact setup - tastes great, less filling ;-)

I usually leave the i70 displaying wind, as I have depth and speed already on the axiom in the corners, but will switch it over to full screen depth numbers when I’m headed somewhere shallow.....

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 23:12   #11

Thanks Matt,

Good info and its pretty much what I'd like to do. i assume that once all sensors/transducers are connected to the itc5, these will be available as a Data Source on the Axiom...yes ??
The i70 would be a good replacement as there are about 3 old instruments i'd like to ditch and the i70 will cover them nicely.
Old 25-03-2022, 05:54   #12

Boat: Columbia 50

Conj,

Yes, that’s correct. The itc5 puts all the data on the NG bus, where the axiom and i70 can see it. Any other hardware connected to the bus as well - evo autopilots, etc. I also have a vesper xb-8000 ais transponder connected to my network. That unit has a wifi bridge built in, so I’m able to pick up the speed/wind/depth data over wifi on my iPad running the navionics app.....

Cheers,

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine, marine, depth