Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 12:23   #1

Raymarine C120 at Helm and Nav Station

Looking for some information. In the process of buying a sailboat that has a Raymarine C120 with a hookup at the helm. The C120 is removed and stored below when the owner is not onboard so it is a plug-in mount. The boat also has SeaTalk, Raymarine auto pilot and the GPS module. I plan on installing the Raymarine Sirius Weather module. There are no instruments at the nav station other that a vhf radio. It is a catamaran so the nav station is 5-6 feet from the helm. I would like to be able to have the option to plug-in the C120 at the nav station when working on a course or at anchor. What do I have to do to have that option of plugging in the C120 at either the helm or nav station, whichever is convenient at the time, and still have the ability to do at the nav station that is now being done at the helm?
Appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Tom
thomaswaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:26   #2

PS - The C120 unit is the classic series if that makes a difference.
Tom
thomaswaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 14:10   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
As per Raymarine spread - you can place the secondary unit where you like it. You can also use a laptop with ray software if such is your preference. Depending on the secondary - wiring may slightly differ.

Look up Raymarine site - the info is there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 16:32   #4

Boat: Privilege 39
The C-series unit you have is NOT networkable - There is no such thing as a "secondary" display with it. You'd have to have a full set of cables at both locations - this isn't really a problem for power and SeaTalk - just a matter of finding the right cables and wiring them in since you can tap these anywhere. If you have NMEA0183, it's also workable since the wiring is pretty simple. But, If you have radar, depthsounder, or weather modules, then it will be problem as these are point-to-point cables.

I have a C70 at my helm. I just do my planning sitting at the nav station on the computer, then transfer to the chartplotter via NMEA0183 network or CF cards... Works for me, not sure if it will work for you, but it's an option.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 18:16   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
The Sea-Talk can be had off any point of the network, no issue. But the radar I believe is not forwarded on the Sea-Talk (the targets may be though).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine