Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 15:17   #1

Raymarine C80 - Radar Solutions

Searched old threads - saw nothing on Point
Inherited a C80 chartplotter want to add Radar but RM has discontinued the
compatible Radar unit - RD218.
Curious if others have faced similar situation & what your solution you came up
with.
Saw one thread which mentioned an interface box (NEMA/SeaTalk/etc) but don't know if that would help given the software used in chartplotter.

Curious that RM would discontinue a Radar unit when CP is only 3 yrs old
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 15:27   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Try calling raymarine. From my experience you dint wNt to talk with them. Leave a message with your question and model numbers. It seems this routes you to more knowledge staff. They may be able to provide you with a refurbished radar. Worth the try.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 15:50   #3

Boat: Victoire 1122
Re: Raymarine C80 - Radar Solutions

If you look at:

Raymarine Marine Electronics - Radome Antennas

You'll see it's still there.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 17:26   #4

Thanks for responses

sabray - will try calling them - however - Defender called on my behalf last month & came back with discontinued - SOL response. But Your point about refurbished is well taken even if it does not sound that exciting

aluijten - RD218 is still on the website but not in the stores - RM tech at Oakland show was the first to inform me that it was no longer available
One dealer was buying up stock but it's long gone.
I see package deals (C80+218) still advertised.....but not even sure if they are real
ebay - just checked again - none avail.
Google searches show stores but when you drill down all show not in stock or discontinued on better sites
Old 07-08-2011, 18:47   #5

Same problem. Dealers show availability but none out there. I had to upgrade to C80W and 4kw radar. Just sell C80 to claw back some cost.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 18:56   #6

Boat: Beneteau 393
I lucked out and got one new off Craigslist. The guy needed a C80 plotter but bought the package with the rd218 also. Got it for 700 still in the box and feel pretty lucky about it. I looked on eBay for a loonng time, but the bid prices for 218's and 424's were way too high. You might also want to try marine consignment shops. Go local!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:50   #7

whew - I thought it was just me

DJB - Were You tempted or did You look at other brands? Garmin, Simrad,
B&G, etc since you changed out CP?

GP - I've looked at EBay & CL........not aware of local consignment shops but will check.........yes, I prefer local too.

Thanks to You both for responses & ideas
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41   #8

Had a quick look. Decided not to Pursue as I don't want integration problems with other instruments despite what your told at time of installation.
Seems too many people end up with this problem of one manufacturer blaming the other if issues occur!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52   #9

What Integration?

DJB - Thanks again - Pardon my ignorance - but exactly what integration were You worried about?
It appears the the wind + depth/log/speed & AutoPilot don't seem to interact
with the C80 Classic........or maybe that's just mine. Certainly the GPS antenna does.
Just wondering.

Certainly tempted to look at other mfgs given RM "reputation" especially if "forced" to swap out CP to get Radar ........this whole search is not endearing
Also hoped that an interface box would get me pass any interface issues - with fingers crossed of course.
Old 10-08-2011, 13:37   #10

RM Response - Closing the loop

Contacting RM was not particularly easy or quick - but the RM gentleman I just spoke with was clear with his answer.

Bottom Line = RM no longer offers for sale an Analog Radome which is the compatible unit for the C80 Classic (which also is no longer available)

He offered to send info via email on compatible Radar units which I accepted.
Here are the key pieces:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only analog radar units will function with the C-Series Classic MFD's. Raymarine has discontinued the sale of analog radar units.

Model numbers M92650-S or E52065 are 2KW 18" domes that are compatible.

Model numbers M92652-S or E52067 are 4KW 24" domes that are compatible.

Model number T52001-S is a 4KW open array that is compatible.

Model number T52012-S is a 10KW open array that is compatible

If the Radar unit was made prior to May of 2003 , then it is not compatible. If if was made after May of 2003 then it is compatible. Please see the following link for answer ID# 964 pertaining to radar compatibility.

http://raymarine.custhelp.com/cgibin...?p_faqid=964&p

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pls Note - I'll convert the model #s:
E52065 = RD218 which replaced the M92650-S (Pathfinder 2kw)
E52067 = RD424 which replaced the M92652-S (Pathfinder 4kw)

No refurbished are available either - He directed me to internet for search.
Old 10-08-2011, 14:11   #11

Boat: Victoire 1122

If you are not too much in a hurry then I suggest you wait a bit and keep an eye on Ebay or whatever the equivalent is in your area. I've noticed lately that several of the Cx0 units are failing because of display problems (vertical stripes in display). Must have to do with a certain batch of models reaching a certain age. Anyway, if the plotter fails beyond repair chances are the scanner ends up on Ebay this fall/winter. That may be an opportunity for you.

By the way if you connect a Raymarine autopilot via Seatalk to the plotter they will interact. At the very least the pilot will be able to steer to a waypoint activated at/ sent by the plotter. This can also be achieved via NMEA but takes a bit more effort and configuration.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 15:07   #12

I'd suggest a deep breath and buy C90W and digital scanner. Do you want to risk thick fog and scanner or plotter goes down and no AIS or radar. eBay has it's uses but I think not here!!
Old 10-08-2011, 16:36   #13

Deep Breath - Agree

DJB - But not sure I will give RM more $$$.......will look at all the major players especially those that are more open, intuitive and hopefully more stable.

eBay Comment = you saying that electronics on there are risky?
I'm not an ebay customer just curious

aluijten - Thanks for the other deep breath idea.......wait & keep looking
At the moment, not sure I want to connect the RM autopilot to the RM Chartplotter - who knows where the boat might end up

Just happy at the moment that I have a consistent answer & can stop the wild goose chase.

Thanks Again to everyone for assistance, suggestions and ideas. Will report back at some point on the final outcome.
Old 10-08-2011, 17:19   #14

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway

i use this setup in my cat. if it is of benefit to you you are welcome to come to san leandro to take a look. i have c80, rader, ais, gps, and depth all goign to the c80...

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 19:11   #15

Very Kind

mtnsapo (Brian)
Thanks for the generous offer to show me the setup.......might take You
up on it.
Is it all RM gear?

Honestly, I do not doubt that it can be done (one way or the other) but I'm not sure I want to do it.
Investing in gear that is already discontinued makes me take more than a deep breath - felt this way the first time I heard about the Radar issue.
Yeah, I know about electronics & how fast the market moves.

Bottom Line = I'll look real hard at all the options while taking deep breaths

Thanks Again

Tags
radar, raymarine