Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 16:40   #1

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Raymarine color code ?

I have a Raymarine M81190 fluxgate compass that I want to use with my Standard Horizon cp300i. If anyone can give me the NMEA 0183 + & - in and NMEA 0183 + & - out wire colors I would appreciate the help.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 17:32   #2

Re: Raymarine color code ?

That's the transducer only, yes? It is probably not NEMA but rather the 5 or 6 wires to the fluxgate coils. Needs to connect to a fluxgate connector on a compatible instrument.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 18:20   #3

It has 5 wires - 1 bare, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue & 1 yellow. 2 wires are plus & minus in & the other 2 are plus & minus out, the bare is a ground. I just have to figure out which are which, I know what the wires on the cp300i are, the problem is there is no standards what one manufacturer has is not the same as another. If nothing else I can use jumper wires to get the correct match, be easier if it was plug & play but that also cost more $$$.
Old 04-05-2013, 21:53   #4

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
Definitely not possible, what you need is a heading sensor. The Raymarine flux gate is only a part of a heading sensor, it needs the autopilot computer to work.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 16:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
Definitely not possible, what you need is a heading sensor. The Raymarine flux gate is only a part of a heading sensor, it needs the autopilot computer to work.
I think it's the other way around - the A/P computer needs the M1190 to know what direction the bow is pointing.
Old 05-05-2013, 19:47   #6

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I have a Raymarine M81190 fluxgate compass that I want to use with my Standard Horizon cp300i. If anyone can give me the NMEA 0183 + & - in and NMEA 0183 + & - out wire colors I would appreciate the help.
I think you're not going to be able to use it.
IIRC, that sensor doesn't talk NMEA, it is a proprietary Raymarine interface (not even Seatalk, HSB or anything). The cable controls and calibrates the fluxgate sensor in/outputs directly from a course computer or other unit.(see Wikipedia for a fluxgate compass).

Raymarine has a pretty good reference/FAQ/questions section on their website, I remember reading a Q/A just like yours about this/a fluxgate sensor (searched but cannot find it, Ray has reworked their site and parts of it are really hard to navigate now).

Basically, the M81190 fluxgate sensor wiring must connect to a Ray course computer directly (or other using unit), that unit then converts the fluxgate sensor data into NMEA sentences (HDR?) that are then output on the units NMEA or Seatalk port(s).

Download this (typical fluxgate appl) pdf manual for a "Raymarine SmartPilot X-5R Drive Installation and Setup Guide" (link below), and look at document page 2 ("Product documents
The SPX-5R Drive system consists of a number of components connected together using a Raymarine SeaTalk bus."), and page 29-30 ("2.6 Fluxgate Compass, Compass connection
Route the compass cable to the Course Computer, securing it at regular intervals with suitable cable clips/ties.
Connect to the Course Computer as in the following illustration"), it has an installation wiring diagram which I cannot reproduce here (I converted a pdf C&P to jpg, but CF wants a weblink like photobucket or whatever, so I give up).

http://www.raymarine.eu/WorkArea/Dow...t.aspx?id=1537

In short, to get universal useable NMEA data from the fluxgate sensor, you need one more piece: a course computer or other Raymarine nav unit that has a fluxgate input, which will then process it and output useable NMEA heading sentences from a normal NMEA wired port (or Seatalk, etc).
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 19:56   #7

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
It has 5 wires - 1 bare, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue & 1 yellow. 2 wires are plus & minus in & the other 2 are plus & minus out, the bare is a ground. I just have to figure out which are which, I know what the wires on the cp300i are, the problem is there is no standards what one manufacturer has is not the same as another. If nothing else I can use jumper wires to get the correct match, be easier if it was plug & play but that also cost more $$$.
See my previous comment (it took a while to create), and the pdf linked therein, it has a wiring diagram.
These wires are not NMEA compliant, they can only be interfaced with a unit that is compatible. That unit then processes the fluxgate signals (I think they are DC levels) into standard NMEA data sentences.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49   #8

Thank you for explaining the problem I face. I think I'll have to spend the money for KVH 1000 or a Si-Tex. I'am glad I didn't spend much $$ to learn that lesson.
Old 06-05-2013, 20:15   #9

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
Quote:
Thank you for explaining the problem I face. I think I'll have to spend the money for KVH 1000 or a Si-Tex. I'am glad I didn't spend much $$ to learn that lesson.
Digital Yacht has a cost effective one, part number HSC100
http://www.digitalyacht.co.uk/produc...ducts_id=11653

It's smaller and cheaper than the KVH and available in the USA.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:19   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

bear in mind you can add the Ray Smart Heading sensor to the fluxgate and end up with a NMEA Heading output. Cheaper then a new gyro stablised fluxgate