Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 14:41   #1

Raymarine E80

Where would someone look for echarts to use in the Raymarine E80 if considering a Pacific crossing from Mexico to Australia.
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:01   #2

Boat: Cape Dory
I think you want Navionics Gold or newer (check that) and you want packages called "middle america" and also "japan and pacific islands" I think Austrailia is yet another package. I'd start with ebay and some of the online discount marine stores.
Luck,
-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:13   #3

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
yes you want the Navionics gold XL9 charts if you go to this web site they will show you which ones you req by there product code www.catusnav.com they sell for £179.00 new
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37   #4

Boat: Boatless
I use the Navionics Gold with an E80 and they are excellent value but they are no more accurate than the paper charts they are taken from, especialy in remote areas.

The last two entries I did, Spanish Waters in Curacao and Boca Grande in Cartagena were both off by 50-100 yards, following the chart in poor visibillity would have run me aground on a reef or the rocks, so you still have to look where you are going.

I am going to the San Blas Islands next and do not expect anything more than 100-200 yd accuracy, Redondo near Antigua was off by 400 yds.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:44   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
A few hundred yards is good for Navionics. But don't try Navionics in the Bahamas, they take you over islands. Keep your eyes open!!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27   #6

Been talking with some reps , and they dont reccomend the Gold cards for the Pacific.They said they are mainly for the US .
I gotto tell ya , a few hundred yards just aiunt good enough .But better and easier than nothing.
Guess thats why we have 24hr watch,s on passage.
Thanks , Ill let you know what I come up with.

ps - I have usually found Boe marine a good help and sourse of online electronics
Old 02-11-2010, 13:17   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
We have used the Gold charts from Panama to Fiji. In some areas they are almost right on (most places we sailed in French Polynesia). We just cruised from Savasavu, Fiji along the north coast of Viti Levu (if you look at a chart it looks like there are only reefs with no room to sail through!) and the Gold charts were nearly perfect. We bought a waypoint listing in Savasavu and it matched perfectly with the Gold chart.
Overall, sailing in the North Sea, the Med, the Carribean and the pacific we have found these charts to be good..from talking with other cruisers I think at least as good as any other choice.
Of course everything depends on when the original charts were made (Calder's Chart book is a great read to scare you!).
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 13:19   #8

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
I have purchased most of my Navionics charts from fugawi.com

Phil, you will be right, the Navionics charts are not good for the San Blas, but I think that is because the original charts were not accurate. The Bauhaus Panama Crusing Guide is excellent! Probably one of the best cruising guides I have ever seen. It will make your travels in San Blas less stressful.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 16:27   #9

Boat: Catalina C380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
Where would someone look for echarts to use in the Raymarine E80 if considering a Pacific crossing from Mexico to Australia.
I use Navionics on the E80 in Australia -- it shows me on my mooring in a small bay within metres
here is a supplier in US
Navionics Electronic Cartography and Charts
alexvk2zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 16:46   #10

Looks like my purchase is going ahead , I think .
So this is all good info for me , as I will definately need some new charts for the E80 and Navonics seem the only way to go .
There is a bit of a gap between Mexico and the French Polenesians , but dont think there is much to see anyway. Radar will do its job here.
Alex, this is the best price yet , thanks.

Tags
raymarine