Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2024, 08:05   #1

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Raymarine i70 question.

Hello all: I have the Raymarine i70 multi instrument display, which I mainly use for wind info. But it also displays boat speed on manyof the screens. Trouble is that the speeds on most of the screens are about a knot lower than my Garmin handheld shows. BUT one of the screens agrees with the Garmin.

Why? I can only assume that one of the inputs is from a GPS (perhaps in my chartplotter) and the others are from a paddle wheel. How do i change inputs or are they fixed for each screen choice?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 08:17   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Raymarine i70 question.

Yes SOG and STW are two different things. They will never be identical because they are measuring different things. That being said if STW is a knot lower in no current then it likely needs to be calibrated. The process for doing that varies by model.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 09:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

The question of SOG and STW were clearly defined in message #2...

Regarding the different screen data, you do not need to change the inputs, like on a TV just dial the channel you want to see.

Both SOG and STW are helpful inputs to your sailing.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 10:37   #4

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Thanks both. I am aware of the differences but I sail on Lake Ontario, which has almost no tide and few currents. So, in general, STW is not of great importance to me.

But the question was: can the input source be changed? For instance, on one of my screens, which I use a lot, I have a graphical view of apparent wind speed and angle, as well as boat speed (probably STW, since if differs from my handheld). I would prefer to have SOG on that screen.

The manual is little help.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 13:34   #5

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

To change a screen, press "Menu" > "Quick Options" > "Edit Page". [move the selection down to "Edit Page by using the down arrow key]
Once you are there, you can select the quantity you want to change with the down/up arrow keys then his "Select". Now scroll through the selections to find what you want and then scroll to the green checkmark in the lower right. Hit "Save" and you will be looking at what you selected. Note that "Back" is available with the lower right button.
Note that you will get useful data ONLY for those things that are actually present on your N2K network!

Messed it up? -Just go back and try again - you won't damage anything

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 23:27   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

What Hartleyg wrote - very easy to swap in SOG anywhere the default pages have STW. If you don’t want to mess with the default pages and the data they show, just copy a page and change that one.

Note, STW shows your speed in a straight line, while in the absence of current SOG shows your speed including leeway. That could be an interesting difference? There’s even more benefit to viewing heading and COG to graphically see your leeway.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine