Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2022, 07:43   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Raymarine Networking of chartplotters

Ok sorry if this is a silly question but here goes.

I have a seatalkNG network on the boat with all raymarine equipment. Everything powers up and seems to be working correctly but Im not able to share chart chip info between the two plotters.

At the helm I have an Axiom 7 display which has inside of it a navionics chart chip. Below at the nav table I have an Axiom Pro 9 plotter. Both plotters are connected to the seatalk NG network via spur cables that lead to 5 way connectors which are inline on the backbone.

When I look in settings on either plotter I can see both plotters listed on the network. It seems like both plotters are set as data masters DM but I cant seem to change this setting? I see all the navionics chart details on the axiom 7 at the helm but it doesnt seem to be shared with the Axiom Pro 9 below.

Ive been through all the settings and dont see what im missing here? Do I need a Raynet network to be able to share chart chip info between devices? I would think the basic seatalkng network would share this info?

Thanks for any help
Old 10-06-2022, 07:55   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Raymarine Networking of chartplotters

You’ll need to network the plotters with the Ethernet cable (raynet) to share charts and radar information.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:24   #3

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You’ll need to network the plotters with the Ethernet cable (raynet) to share charts and radar information.
^^This^^
You cannot share charts over the N2K network.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:44   #4

Boat: Taswell 49
Raymarine Networking of chartplotters

Thanks guys. I was hoping this info could be shared on the seatalkNG network without having to add another network. Maybe a second chart chip is easier than more cables lol. I don’t have radar. There isn’t a way to share this info using Wi-Fi?
Old 10-06-2022, 08:49   #5

Boat: Sabre 34

A second chart chip will certainly be easier than running a new cable (it was a pain when I ran the SeatalkNG spur cable through the pedestal guard) but if an iPad can mirror the MFD why can’t another MFD mirror it?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:00   #6

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

I’m certainly no expert, but I do have several years of operational experience with Raymarine Axioms networked similar to yours. We have an Axiom 12 at the helm and an Axiom 9 at the nav station below.
I believe you are missing a network switch, which on our vessel is an HS5- RAYNET NETWORK SWITCH - MODEL: A80007. It’s function is perform the exact operation you’re trying to do, share data between Axioms, and also integrating radar and instrument input into both MFDs.

I suggest you redirect your query to Raymarine Customer Service (Raymarine Technical Support Center). I generally receive a response to my emails in 1 business day, 2 at the most. Alternatively, you can give them a call. The wait time for tier 1 support is often less than 10 minutes, except on Monday mornings.

Good luck.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:01   #7

I don’t know the solution to your specific problem, but Raymarine has been very helpful in helping me sort out a few issues. It takes a day or so to get a response, but their knowledge of their products will give you accurate info.
ScubaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 13:36   #8

Run the network cable between screens. There is no other option. You do not need a switch unless you add more products then ports on the back.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 12:31   #9

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Run the network cable between screens. There is no other option. You do not need a switch unless you add more products then ports on the back.
From his avatar picture, it looks like the OP may have a radar. If so, it is probably directly connected via ethernet (RayNet) to one of their two chartplotters. If that's the case, then they need an ethernet switch to add that 3rd connection. Then both chartplotters would be able to share charts and get radar input...

I could be wrong, but that's rarely the case...

/s
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 22:07   #10

it looks like the pro 9 has 2 network ports. just run the radar to the 9 if the 7 only has 1
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, marine, raymarine, work