Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 09:42   #16

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Raymarine night vision, users?

Used my Ocean View Tech night vision with its 5" screen set me back 5k in st Vincent Dominica and de Hais in Guadeloupe night approaches overcast and could see cans. Dinghies with no lights derelict boats and boat boys with no lights coming for a hand out. Spend the money if you plan to sail at night.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:51   #17

Boat: Van Dam Nordia 49'
Re: Raymarine night vision, users?

TJ,

I did exactly what you are asking about.

2 years ago I picked up FLIR Scout PS32 infrared night vision scope.
Great little piece of technology which worked quite well where I live in the desert southwest. I have the "red" option which allows the hottest item on the screen to come up red.

Thought this would be a great way to see a MOB or get another view when coming into port. When looking at my house I can see where the heat is leaking out and when viewing a field can easily see small animals that are close in. It even works when viewing an overhead aircraft at high altitude. the exhaust plume looking like a long red swash in the sky.

Unfortunately, what it couldn't seem to do is see through moisture in even moderate amounts. I tried several time, in conditions I would have thought the device should work in, only to see a mottled grey screen with no definition of anything recognizable. Have completely given up on even having it on-board.

I recommend you go to a photomultiplier tube type night vision system as they do work better in a high humidity environment. But do read up on the export control laws which relate to both of these devices. Unfortunately the really good stuff cannot be exported which does not necessarily mean you can't have it on-board your boat outside the US. You need to read up on this if your going to take such a device on board an international flight and you could be considered as having exported it. The FLIR unit I had was NOT subject to export control as it operated a 9 HZ. The better units operate in the 30 to 60 HZ range and are restricted. Here is a site where you can see what is restricted in the FLIR product line

Export Information for FLIR Systems Products

The Photomultiplier devices are also export control so give them a careful read before venturing forth outside the US.

Best of luck,

Ben
BenFranklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:13   #18

When they say export is restricted, are they referring only to shipping to sell, or is transporting on a boat included? Sounds like having it on your own boat is okay and doesn't require any permits?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:30   #19

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

FLIR sells a single for around five hundred dollars, haven't tried one, but for a boat at night makes a lot of sense.
I have a FLIR version that West sells for $250. and attaches to iPhone, works very well, I can see bouys, people in water etc easily at several hundred feet. I really don't need any more capability than that.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:37   #20

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Having flown many hours with both Goggles ( light intensification) and FLIR, unless you have serious money to spend, get a good searchlight.
You have no need to be covert, so why not light up the night?
Well, a searchlight has one big disadvantage over one of these things, namely way too much reflected light off of precipitation, and you have to be really careful not to light up your own boat and wreck your night vision.

But, the point's well taken, maybe the cheap stuff doesn't work very well. That's what I'm trying to determine. Some of the stuff that's recommended here is over $5000 bucks, and that's just not an amount that I'm willing to spend. $500, sure, but if it's a waste, I'll just carry on as in the past.

Or, maybe I'll get one for Christmas from the wife (she's looking for ideas), and I'll let you all know how well it works. The pricing is sure attractive on this new one.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFranklyn View Post
TJ,

I did exactly what you are asking about.

2 years ago I picked up FLIR Scout PS32 infrared night vision scope.
Great little piece of technology which worked quite well where I live in the desert southwest. I have the "red" option which allows the hottest item on the screen to come up red.

Thought this would be a great way to see a MOB or get another view when coming into port. When looking at my house I can see where the heat is leaking out and when viewing a field can easily see small animals that are close in. It even works when viewing an overhead aircraft at high altitude. the exhaust plume looking like a long red swash in the sky.

Unfortunately, what it couldn't seem to do is see through moisture in even moderate amounts. I tried several time, in conditions I would have thought the device should work in, only to see a mottled grey screen with no definition of anything recognizable. Have completely given up on even having it on-board.

I recommend you go to a photomultiplier tube type night vision system as they do work better in a high humidity environment. But do read up on the export control laws which relate to both of these devices. Unfortunately the really good stuff cannot be exported which does not necessarily mean you can't have it on-board your boat outside the US. You need to read up on this if your going to take such a device on board an international flight and you could be considered as having exported it. The FLIR unit I had was NOT subject to export control as it operated a 9 HZ. The better units operate in the 30 to 60 HZ range and are restricted. Here is a site where you can see what is restricted in the FLIR product line

Export Information for FLIR Systems Products

The Photomultiplier devices are also export control so give them a careful read before venturing forth outside the US.

Best of luck,

Ben

Hi Ben, thanks. The lack of functionality in moisture is interesting. We sail in places with fog/mist frequently. It would be a shame if that made the thing useless.

We would buy it locally here in the UK anyway, and once it's on board as ship's equipment, I don't think that we will have any import issues in any of the places we sail.

TJ
Old 11-12-2016, 11:02   #22

Export control only deals with a purchase of restricted materials inside the US and being exported outside the US.

If you buy it in the UK and it was made in the US I don't think there is anything to be concerned about. As a US citizen what you don't want to have happen is have a restricted item in your luggage and have it found. People go to jail of this stuff on a regular basis. When I travel with my FLIR unit I have the paper that FLIR provides that states the unit is exempt form export control.

If in doubt, read the regs, if you can figure them out congratulations your a f'n genius.

Ben
Old 11-12-2016, 15:19   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's called ITAR, and I doubt any consumer grade stuff is subject to ITAR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...ms_Regulations
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 17:25   #24

Unfortunately it is. You can check out the issue on the referenced site I gave which will show which units are subject to it and which ones are not. I believe only 9Hz FLIR units are free of restrictions. Night vision can only be exported in the over gen 1 and 2 versions without applying for an export permit.

DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY.

Its a serious problem to be caught trying to export a restricted item without a proper permit. READ THE DAMN REGS!!
Old 12-12-2016, 07:50   #25

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

Great answers.

I'm military aircrew using an articulating IR camera operating from P3 aircraft in the Gulf of Alaska and Arctic Ocean. You mention close in work? Google FlirOne - for Apple and android phones. I've just ordered mine for my Samsung. Should help on our transat from Newfoundland to the Azores and Gibralter next year.
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:35   #26

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Has anyone used these devices on a bobbing boat? What is the field of view vs 7x50 binoculars? I would be leery of getting any results at all if the field of view wasn't large enough.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:58   #27

That was also my goal in the post, learning from folks who had used them on small boats. It seems that not too many sailors are using them yet, but there was one fellow who posted earlier who liked his. But he didn't have the cheapie.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divevac View Post
Great answers.

I'm military aircrew using an articulating IR camera operating from P3 aircraft in the Gulf of Alaska and Arctic Ocean. You mention close in work? Google FlirOne - for Apple and android phones. I've just ordered mine for my Samsung. Should help on our transat from Newfoundland to the Azores and Gibralter next year.

Enjoy the trip. We spent part of the last 2 summers in Newfoundland, and then crossed from St. John's to Ireland this past August. If you can carve out the time to spend some time cruising 'the rock', it's really spectacular there, and some of the most friendly folks on earth. One of our favorite cruising grounds for sure.

St. John's has good facilities for stocking up, but the commercial harbor leaves a bit to be desired. It's not terrible, but it's sort of dirty and noisy, and you have to lie against big 'ol tractor tires. There is a float toward the N. end of the harbor, but it was full of local boats in '15, and removed in '16 for some construction. Perhaps it will be there when you arrive.

We're too deep to get into Quidi Vidi, but If your draft allows, that's supposed to be quite a bit quieter.

TJ
Old 12-12-2016, 09:23   #29

Is Raymarine COM100 any good.
The problem I have on my sail boat when I have my genova 145% open and boat is 25 degree, I do not see anything on opposite side of boat tack and probably everybody have the same problem.
I can cut a window in sail, but I am thinking to install COM100 to get some info on black spot. Did anybody using this technical ability of camera?
At night we are blind on both side. Ones I was going from Hell Gate down East river and none of the buy was lite. Was not pleasant.
Omega46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:45   #30

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

FLIR owns RayMarine... Their technology can be ITAR or Department of Commerce controlled. Controlled product should be clearly labeled. IMO, there is no comparison between "night vision" and IR. Low light collects and amplifies ambient light, IR senses heat. Military uses it to see footprints in the sand, Coast Guard uses it for search and rescue, firemen use it to sense heat on the other side of a wall, BMW offers them as an option to spot animals or pedestrians ~300m (?) down the road.

IR doesn't see through glass or sails, so it would need to be held or mounted forward.
Hunting & Outdoor | FLIR Systems
Thermal Night Vision Cameras | Raymarine Marine Electronics

Tags
marine, raymarine