Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2023, 09:03   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS
Raymarine Quantum 24c

I have the Wired and Wifi version of the Q24c.

When we had our standing rigging done we had the mast removed and whilst the mast was down had them run the data cable.

I've been using the radar in wifi mode but raymarinps wifi ability for this radar sucks to be blunt. plus I didn't know until later you can't use wifi mode with two chart plotters. (why , who knows)

anyway to cut a long story short the installer cut one end of the data cable and lost the connector. sigh ( we have had to redo all of his work on our boat) and this is one of the last things.

I noted that the cable has 4 twisted pairs that look eerily similar to cat6 network cable (see attached image)

so I guess my question is can I add an RJ45 cable using standard wiring color coding or do I need to do something special. my understanding is that the cable is a device net cable . I'm thinking I would then just plug it into a switch and then use a ray net to rj45 adapter to complete the repair and start using my radar wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	networkcable.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	280691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5435.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	280693  

RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 09:37   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS
Re: Raymarine Quantum 24c

So I worked on this some more. Seems the pin outs from the diagram above do work but you can only use it on a closed network with no other traffic. I plugged my charplotter and radar into a dlink switch using a device net to rj45 converter and radar cable that now has an rj45 connector on it and suppringly it worked. Going to get and industrial 12v switch and utilize that instead of the $100 dollars for the raynet cables and $350 dollars for the device net hub.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine