Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2008, 05:31   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Raymarine quirks

I have a couple of minor issues with my Raymarine chartplotter / Radar. I have both an RL80c (chart table) and an RL70c ((helm) and they both behave identically. The problems are:
1. I get a change in position of the chart when the scale is changed generally but not always at about 3nm. The GPS lat and long doesn't change, but the vessels position on the chart will change by 200m or so. For example the bay I am in at the moment the 3nm scale shows me in the NW sector of the bay, but the 1.5 nm scale shows me in the centre of the bay.
2. The Radar loves to offset the central possition. Instead of the centre of the radar corresponding to the centre of the screen it will offset the picture so more radar picture is shown in the heading direction. I can cancell this, but it will revert back to an ofset position again without any input. I dont seem to be able to disable this with any of the menu options.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 07:38   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Any time you use the zoom function on your chartplotter the position on the chart can change. Your GPS position will not but your place on the chart can change. I would call Raymarine tech service and have them walk you through the radar issue in case it needs to be sent back for service or is just a setting issue. Raymarine functions are not user friendly and there are several unknown functions that Raymarine prefers to keep secret. One of your radar units is the master and the other is only a repeater. Be sure you make any adjustments on the master.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 08:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dear Chuck
Thanks for your comments and congratulations on the new Marine Trader, it looks fantastic.
Do I understand correctly that from your comment "Any time you use the zoom function on your chartplotter the position on the chart can change" that you think the chart plotter is behaving correctly?
Thanks John
Old 21-11-2008, 09:53   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Dear Chuck
Thanks for your comments and congratulations on the new Marine Trader, it looks fantastic.
Do I understand correctly that from your comment "Any time you use the zoom function on your chartplotter the position on the chart can change" that you think the chart plotter is behaving correctly?
Thanks John
Without being on the boat and seeing what is going on that is a real possibility.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 10:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dear Chuck
Thanks for the follow up. My previous yacht had only a Gps and paper charts. I have sailed on several other yachts with chart plotters and never noticed this behavior, but most of the sailing was offshore where it would not be apparent. Sound like I am too anal retentive and noticing normal function of a chart plotter.
Cheers John
Old 21-11-2008, 21:20   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
When you switch scales, the chartplotter may switch between the electronic charts for your area. If you notice other things changing when your boat jumpsaround, like the number of depth printouts in your bay and the amount of detail, you have probably changed charts and may see a slight difference in where your boat is located on the chart. If its more than a slight difference (like more than 100 meters or 0.05 nm), then you don't have good charts. I would expect more jumping around in Indonesia than in a well charted area of the Med.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 14:03   #7

Chart Plotters

I was thinking of just using a satellite phone and paper charts, guides etc.
Now I'm thinking of hooking my gps up to my computer as well, and hoping to find some software that works. Anyone know what type of software and how to receive weather alerts?
Thanks,
Stephanie
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 17:33   #8

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Hi Stephanie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Now I'm thinking of hooking my gps up to my computer as well, and hoping to find some software that works.
Definately the way to go. If you want the best of both worlds see if you can lay your hands on a Yeoman chartplotter. It consists of a thin board to which you attach your paper chart. A mouse like device fed by your GPS is slid over the chart & guided to your position on it by small LED lights. Unfortunately I don't think they are made anymore.

If you just want to get the feel of using a PC based chartplotter try the free SeaClear application. You can download it here: SeaClear GPS Navigation Software

If you want to go further & pay there are hundreds of PC based chartplotters around. I have been using SeaPro 3000 for over 10 years now. Far from the cheapest but packed with features. Demo version available here: Downloads Euronav Navigation Systems

Quote:
Anyone know what type of software and how to receive weather alerts?
You need to be more specific for an answer to that. Weather Alerts are broadcast on VHF/HF/Navtex/Commercial radio/Internet/Subscription services via radio email or satellite etc. and depending which part of the world you are interested in. If you are sailing in US waters a modern VHF radio with weather channels should work for you. In the Caribbean I regularly check Tropical Weather Information during the hurricane season.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:24   #9

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I have a pair of RL80Cs. Frankly, they are quirky. When they change charts (move from one to another), which we do ALL the time, it can take up to 10 minutes for it to "find" the new charts. Speed sometimes "goes to sleep". Not sure why, but it does. We prefer NOT to use the overlay. In your case, if you can, I'd look at swapping your units. The big display at the helm is MUCH more useful. One of our displays has a bad LCD. Raymarine wanted $1000 to fix it. I put it below, and repeat the radar to the unit topside.

Frankly, when we go cruising in a few years, we'll replace it. Just not worth fooling with as weekend sailors, at this time.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:09   #10

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
bstreep, two thoughts: 10 minutes to find a chart is not a good thing. Have you talked with Raymarine about this? Exactly what chart chips are you using?

On replacing the screen, $1K is more than enough to buy a full replacement unit on eBay or Craigslist. FWIW, current for the CRC and LCD displays is equivalent and CRT R80+'s go for less than the color LCD version (be sure, of course, it's a "Plus" model). Maybe a CRT version of an R80+ below will do the job?

I have a CRT R70+ on OWTW and it works like a charm. Actually, mine is an R70 upgraded to an R70+ - it even has the original trackball instead of the rocker pad.

A friend has an E80 at the helm and, IMHO, it's big on "eye candy" but, once all the combined displays are turned on, doesn't show an effective "big picture" view of the area around the boat. The R70+ and a laptop running Coastal Explorer are far more effective.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:23   #11

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Actually, mine are CRC Plus units. LCD and HSB2. The chart chips are NTs? One chip has the whole Texas coast on it.

My failed unit is repeating just fine - it was interesting to get it to reset factory settings, though. Had to do it using the 2 units side-by-side to get the sequence right! I also have a laptop running Offshore Navigator. When it's time to "go", I'll upgrade to the then state-of-the-art.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 18:22   #12

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Have you tried the chips in another R80/70? Something doesn't sound quite right. I worked on an RL70 not too long ago and it didn't struggle with charts the way it sounds as though your gear does.

As to upgrading before going... maybe not? A) Just 'cause it's newer doesn't mean it's better and B) why add more chores (e.g., sorting out wonky nav systems all over again) while busy with getting ready to go. It's taken me a few years to work out a data scheme for OWTW and works like a charm. Changing GPS sources is literally no more than flipping the "GPS Source" switch from "RN300" to "GPS76". Drive the autopilot directly from the GPS instead of via the laptop? Flip the "PC/GPS" switch to GPS. All of the SeaTalk gear talks to itself and it's repeated to the NMEA side (mainly the laptop, VHF, radar, and EPIRB). Re-inventing all of that all over would not be fun.

YMMV
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 22:06   #13

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat
Re: Raymarine quirks

sorry to jump in with a tangent post but a search lead me to the subject of GPS and an RL70 radar unit.

can someone out there tell me if it is possible for me to wire an Raytheon GPS receiver to this RL70 radar?

I know that NMEA and sea talk GPS receivers are available but I happen to have a raytheon GPS receiver that has been cut and it has the red yel reen bro wires. I guess my direct question is : Is it possible to wire this type of GPS receiver to the RL70 given that it seems only to have possible HSB and sea talk inputs?
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 02:08   #14
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Not sure, but the Raymarine GPS may be similar. If you don't have the manual for your GPS checkout the Raystar 125 manual http://www.raymarine.eu/WorkArea/Dow...t.aspx?id=1501
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 02:39   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vientoman View Post
sorry to jump in with a tangent post but a search lead me to the subject of GPS and an RL70 radar unit.

can someone out there tell me if it is possible for me to wire an Raytheon GPS receiver to this RL70 radar?

I know that NMEA and sea talk GPS receivers are available but I happen to have a raytheon GPS receiver that has been cut and it has the red yel reen bro wires. I guess my direct question is : Is it possible to wire this type of GPS receiver to the RL70 given that it seems only to have possible HSB and sea talk inputs?
The RL70 will accept both seatalk and NMEA. The Raytheon will be one or the other so there should be no problem connecting it.
However GPS units of this age get much less reliable especially if the internal battery has not been changed.

Tags
raymarine