Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2021, 20:15   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Raymarine Raynet Protocol with Quantum II

I am trying to packet sniff the data between my Raymarine Quantum II radar and the chart plotter to provide the data to OpenCPN radar guys to write the plugin.

Apparently nobody has done this to date and it sound pretty easy to I set my switch up like in the picture with span on the correct ports to sniff the traffic.

After I while I could easily see the IP addresses and traffic between the Axiom plotters there was nothing going to the radar (even from the slave plotter which was displaying and controlling the radar).

I also never saw and IP address for the radar. I tried a few other configurations of my sniffing setup and eventually even plugged the radar into the ethernet port of my PC - nothing.

Does anyone know what protocol / transport layer they are using between the modern radars and plotters? It doesnt seem like TCP/IP??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raymarine sniffing.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	235913  
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:44   #2

Boat: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
Re: Raymarine Raynet Protocol with Quantum II

Hi. Does the diagram show your actual setup? If so it could be that your sniffer running on the laptop is on a wired Ethernet whereas the radar is on a separate Wi-Fi network.
SolentBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:52   #3

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Raymarine Raynet Protocol with Quantum II

Two possibilities: 1. as @SolentBlue describes the radar is using wifi. 2. You're using an ethernet switch rather than a hub. You'll either need a cheap old-school hub, or a decent switch that permits span ports. If you don't know about span ports, find a hub.

Sniffing wifi may or may not be easier - I don't know if raymarine uses encryption for their wifi connections.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, rot