Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:48   #1

Raymarine RNS Software

Is there anyone using Raymarine RNS software out there and do you have any comments? I would like to know what computer you are using because I would like to get a small low power consumption laptop. I have loaded the trial software that came with my system, but as yet I have not connected it to the plotter, a E80
Thanks

Barry
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:14   #2

If you have an E series, this software is a no-brainer. It can even repeat the radar that you have hooked up to your head unit. So no need for a second E-series repeater. The $600 software + a $400 laptop + $200 or so in various installation will get you a $2500 E-series repeater.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:28   #3

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Uses Raytech since 2003

I have used an old hp 17" wide laptop sine 2003 integrated with my full Raymarine system - radar sonar, chartplotter. My setup uses a serial to usb and pcmcia card. It repeats radar, sonar and has c-map, raster and photo charts. It is a great system and has worked well most of the time. I need to upgrade my computer and don't know what I will need to change to replace the video coming over the pcmcia card. Has anyone made this transition and if so what parts need to be changed to get output to all usb?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Navstation 1.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	21729  
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:43   #4

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Latest RNS 6.2 installs & works fine on my Windows 7 x64 laptop.

The earlier RNS 6.1 also worked ok but had to be installed in Vista SP1 compatibility mode as it otherwise thought Win 7 was a legacy system & refused installation.

Both versions (to my surprise) place active route on my C80 although I had no intentional hook-up. I later realised the link is through the Seatalk/NMEA adaptor that my laptop shares with C80.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Latest RNS 6.2 installs & works fine on my Windows 7 x64 laptop.

The earlier RNS 6.1 also worked ok but had to be installed in Vista SP1 compatibility mode as it otherwise thought Win 7 was a legacy system & refused installation.

Both versions (to my surprise) place active route on my C80 although I had no intentional hook-up. I later realised the link is through the Seatalk/NMEA adaptor that my laptop shares with C80.
With regard to you c80, were you sharing the charts off of the plotter? Or do you have 2 Navionics chips? THe C series isn't supposed to share charts/network broadcast that info...thats why they want you to get the E series all the time. But if 6.2 has introduced a new feature, then by God, I'm upgrading!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:57   #6

I have installed RNS 6.1 and I am amazed at the functions. I really like the ability to download weather grib's and show them on the charts. I did try to download from Raymarine but just got a email saying the service has been suspended! I have not yet connected to my E80 since I am 300 miles from my boat at the moment! But I am looking forward to trying it. I think that I will try a trackball with my Macbook.

Barry
Old 06-12-2010, 09:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
With regard to you c80, were you sharing the charts off of the plotter? Or do you have 2 Navionics chips? THe C series isn't supposed to share charts/network broadcast that info...thats why they want you to get the E series all the time. But if 6.2 has introduced a new feature, then by God, I'm upgrading!!!!
No you are correct, C series cannot share charts. I was using raster charts on RNS at the time.

BTW Euronav SeaPro PC chartplotter has a Navionics module which allows such charts to be used with USB Navionics card reader. It also allows Navionics files to be stored on local hard drive for quicker access. After authorisation they can then be used for pre-determined time (about two hours) without card reader being attached.

Ref bazzer's post note that RNS 6.2 seems to have lost the built-in grib file download utility. This would tie in with the service being suspended. Another case where a Raymarine "upgrade" gives you less

Note you can still manually display your own grib files though. Guess it grated them offering something for free.

If in doubt RTFM
Old 06-12-2010, 10:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
No you are correct, C series cannot share charts. I was using raster charts on RNS at the time.

BTW Euronav SeaPro PC chartplotter has a Navionics module which allows such charts to be used with USB Navionics card reader. It also allows Navionics files to be stored on local hard drive for quicker access. After authorisation they can then be used for pre-determined time (about two hours) without card reader being attached.

Ref bazzer's post note that RNS 6.2 seems to have lost the built-in grib file download utility. This would tie in with the service being suspended. Another case where a Raymarine "upgrade" gives you less

Note you can still manually display your own grib files though. Guess it grated them offering something for free.
Thanks for the info, if that is the case why upgrade to 6.2? I have been trying to find the differences but so far no sucess. Im just hoping that 6.1 that I have will work via Seatalk and my PC running windows 7

Bazzer
Old 06-12-2010, 10:16   #9

Boat: Taswell 49
Im currently looking at getting a C90W unit for use at the helm. Is it possible to connect a laptop to the C90W and my other raymarine instruments and be able to do the following:

1. Route planning and plotting on laptop then send waypoints/routes to C90W.

2. Display radar on laptop and AIS info?

I am trying to avoid a second Chartplotter and simply have a laptop or dedicated computer at the nav station below. If I am reading correctly I need an E series unit to do the above?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Thanks for the info, if that is the case why upgrade to 6.2? I have been trying to find the differences but so far no sucess. Im just hoping that 6.1 that I have will work via Seatalk and my PC running windows 7

Bazzer
Check here for best info on RNS 6.2 capabilities.

Why upgrade? - well how else will you know what your (not) missing

Having said that this version does offer full integration with Windows 7 particularly when using Seatalk hs networking.

Ref post above you can certainly have your RNS routes apperar on C & E series MFD's (see my post above mentioning this). Equally AIS info will display if fed to RNS.

You can also have radar overlay with E series & wide screen C series.

If in doubt RTFM
Old 06-12-2010, 12:13   #11

Boat: Taswell 49
Raymarine Marine Electronics - RayTech RNS v6.2 (Full Version)

Crikey $700 and I still gotta buy charts eh? I guess thats still cheaper than buying another display for the nav station.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 18:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Is there anyone using Raymarine RNS software out there and do you have any comments?
Barry
In my view. Poor. Glitch with the zoom. Can not open Grib’s file, does not show tracks, will make a mess of way-points if you create a route with RNS and down load into a C series. Been like this for ages, need serious improvement, not worse the money.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 18:37   #13

Oh man, that radar overlay is such a killer app...I have a c80 and I'm seriously considering upgrading to the C90W...but I'd have to tear out all of my housings and replace. Suddenly, thats $500 more in fiberglass housings for this project
Old 06-12-2010, 21:02   #14

on further investigation I find that the upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2 is free, not $199 as I thought. 6.2 has lost the ability to download Grib from within the program, but other than that it appears much the same.
Now I am trying to figure out what optimum route is all about!
Old 21-01-2011, 05:48   #15

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40
Hello,

I have a C90W chartplotter in my Beneteau which also has a "PC interface" (NMEA to RS232 adapter + RS232 to USB adapter) below decks. Transforming my laptop (running RNS software) in a second chartplotter seems very interesting. Reading the manuals it looks like I have to possibilities:

a) I can connect the USB cable from the "PC interface" to one of the USB ports of the laptop.

b) I can use a Raymarine SeaTalk HS special cable for a direct connection between the C90W and the ethernet LAN port of the laptop.

The possibility b), being faster, seems much more interesting as I assume that maps, coming from the Navionics card on the chartplotter, would be available more rapidly in the laptop. Still I could not confirm if a wireless version of b) is possible. I understand that it will not be as secure as a wired connection but I really would like to be able to get navigation information anywhere in the boat. In fact I really do not know if SeaTalk HS is like Ethernet. And then, if a normal wireless router could be used to provide connectivity between the chartplotter and the laptop.

Many thanks for any views on this matter.

Regards, Luis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine