Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 07:28   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Raymarine SEATALK/NMEA Interface Problem

Having some issues between the boats original B&G Network system and a more recently fitted Raymarine E80 plotter (before I took ownership)

The present system

B&G Network System comprising of
Network Quad (Depth and Log Speed)
Network Wind
Network Nav (GPS repeater)
Network Pilot (Autopilot)
B&G ACP Pilot Computer

Raymarine E80 Chart Plotter

Raymarine Raystar 125 GPS Sensor

Raymarine Seatalk/NMEA/PC Interface (Part Number E85001)

Problem
Have lost the NMEA Input data to the E80 Chart Plotter

Original Connections

Raystar GPS Sensor is connected to the Seatalk input on the Seatalk/NMEA Interface

The Seatalk cable from the E80 Seatalk port is connected to the Seatalk output of the Seatalk/NMEA interface

There is a cable labeled “From Instruments” connected to the NMEA Input of the Seatalk/NMEA interface

A cable labeled “To Helm” is connected to the NMEA Output of the Seatalk/NMEA interface.

The NMEA data cable from the E80 NMEA port is connected to a cable labeled “GPS Repeater” (I guess this means the B&G Network Nav), and also to the DSC VHF. Only the NMEA output wires have been connected, the NMEA input wires are not connected to anything

In addition, a power cable has been wired into the Seatalk output of the Seatalk/NMEA Interface (live wire connected to the Seatalk Red, and the negative connected to the Seatalk White (ground). This power supply comes from the Nav Instruments circuit breaker.

What did I do.? I had noted that the power cable to the interface was not fused, so decided it should be (the manual suggests a 5 amp fuse)

After fitting the fuse, that’s when the problem started. When the power is turned on, the NMEA indicator light on the interface comes on for 10 seconds, then goes out, and the E80 sounds an alarm, (no position fix), and there is no data such as wind, log, depth displayed on the E80.
After a bit of trial and error, I found that if I removed the power supply (the one from the breaker), the E80 starts to receive the position data from the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor.

Leaves me with a few questions.

Why have a separate power supply to the interface. The interface is also being fed 12V through the Seatalk red wire. My thoughts were that the Seatalk red wire was too small to carry the amps needed for both the GPS sensor and the interface.
More puzzling is why does the plotter start to receive data from the GPS sensor when this separate power supply is removed from the interface.

How to get the NMEA data from the B&G system to the E80 chart plotter.
The NMEA cable going to and out of the interface looks to have been a one time a continuous cable (this is my assumption). It has at some time, been cut and connected to the interface.
Could I remove these from the interface and splice them together and also splice in the NMEA input wires to the E80 on the E80 NMEA cable (at present not is use).
If this is possible, I was wondering why it was not done in the first place and could have done without the interface unit.

I’ll be back on the boat tomorrow, so any suggestions, I’ll try them out.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 09:47   #2

Re: Raymarine SEATALK/NMEA Interface Problem

[QUOTE=nigel1;1215959]Having some issues between the boats original B&G Network system and a more recently fitted Raymarine E80 plotter (before I took ownership)

Raymarine Seatalk/NMEA/PC Interface (Part Number E85001)

Problem
Have lost the NMEA Input data to the E80 Chart Plotter
( A cable labeled “To Helm” is connected to the NMEA Output of the Seatalk/NMEA interface.) {I would check that connection at the helm, make sure the pilot is switched on}

Original Connections

Raystar GPS Sensor is connected to the Seatalk input on the Seatalk/NMEA Interface

The Seatalk cable from the E80 Seatalk port is connected to the Seatalk output of the Seatalk/NMEA interface {I think a Seatalk output is also an input}

The NMEA data cable from the E80 NMEA port is connected to a cable labeled “GPS Repeater” (I guess this means the B&G Network Nav), and also to the DSC VHF. Only the NMEA output wires have been connected, the NMEA input wires are not connected to anything{seems OK}

In addition, a power cable has been wired into the Seatalk output of the Seatalk/NMEA Interface (live wire connected to the Seatalk Red, and the negative connected to the Seatalk White (ground). This power supply comes from the Nav Instruments circuit breaker.

What did I do.? I had noted that the power cable to the interface was not fused, so decided it should be (the manual suggests a 5 amp fuse)

After fitting the fuse, that’s when the problem started. When the power is turned on, the NMEA indicator light on the interface comes on for 10 seconds, then goes out, and the E80 sounds an alarm, (no position fix), and there is no data such as wind, log, depth displayed on the E80.{fitting a fuse should not alter the working of the system}
After a bit of trial and error, I found that if I removed the power supply (the one from the breaker), the E80 starts to receive the position data from the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor.

Leaves me with a few questions.

How to get the NMEA data from the B&G system to the E80 chart plotter.
The NMEA cable going to and out of the interface looks to have been a one time a continuous cable (this is my assumption). It has at some time, been cut and connected to the interface.
Could I remove these from the interface and splice them together and also splice in the NMEA input wires to the E80 on the E80 NMEA cable (at present not is use).
If this is possible, I was wondering why it was not done in the first place and could have done without the interface unit.{may be the previous owner wanted to connect a PC.}

I’ll be back on the boat tomorrow, so any suggestions, I’ll try them out.
I would for a start return everything to its original wiring (remove the modification that you may have done). Secondly check the output from the nmea at the helm. If this does not make the system to work, I would disconnect the nmea from both B & G and Raymarine and check that each system works correctly by them self. Then I will progressively reconnect output and input from Ray to BG. Not necessarily using the interface. Be aware that the E80 like the C70 may provide power for the Seatalk bus and that NMEA 1983 is slow.
Relevant manuals are available from Ray. There is also a Ray help forum.
Hope this help.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 09:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Only change I made was adding a fuse, it may be coincident that the interface failed at same time.
The B&G system seems to be working OK.
Hoping to contact Raymarine support tomorrow and get their opinion. My gut instinct is that the interface is goosed. I assume that the interface was used in the first place because it allowed the slower NMEA from the B&G to be converted to the faster seatalk.
Old 23-04-2013, 10:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I assume that the interface was used in the first place because it allowed the slower NMEA from the B&G to be converted to the faster seatalk.
Or maybe that there was first only a PC used as a chart plotter (no E80) with a Ray 125 GPS and B&G instruments and pilot. I would try now to connect Ray 125 GPS to E80 using Seatalk then NMEA between E80 and B&G.
Old 25-04-2013, 08:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just back from a 3 day sailing trip, so just seen your message.
Before I set off, I did as you also suggested, removed the interface, and connected the E80 direct to the Ray125, and hooked up the B&G stuff to the NMEA port.
Just about everything works OK, the only data missing was the wind data from the B&G to the E80
Raymarine told me that the E80 may not support NMEA wind data, but that the interface unit does, and can convert it to Seatalk, which is then read by the E80, and most likely the reason for the interface unit being fitted.
The interface is pretty dead, a close look shows what appears to be damage to some of the solder tracks.
Anyway, I'm a bit better educated now, and at the same time, also wired up the radar to receive NMEA as well.
Raymarine support in the UK were very helpful, talked me through a lot of stuff on the phone, called me back with suggestions.
Navico, on the other and not so forthcoming, first asked me to send the gear back to them!!, would not discuss issue on the phone, and when I sent the info by email, got a reply back from someone who had not read through the whole mail, so that turned out to be waste of time.

Now debating whether to replace the interface unit, as its only benefit is to get wind data to the plotter, hardly seems worth it.

Cheers
Old 25-04-2013, 11:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Now debating whether to replace the interface unit, as its only benefit is to get wind data to the plotter, hardly seems worth it.
Cheers
I do like my wind data on my plotters and instruments. Unless you can find another Ray instrument that can be of use to you and will accept NMEA wind then the interface (E85001) at around $200.- is may-be the way to go.

Cheers to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wind.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	59894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind graph 10s.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	59895  

Old 11-08-2013, 11:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just to conclude this thread, I decided to replace the interface. Thought to put a bit of business through local friendly chandler, who called me back to say Raymarine no longer make this interface. He had a number for someone at Raymarine who would suggest a work around. Called Raymarine, explained the set up, and all he could suggest was what I needed was the interface they no longer make.
A few more calls to various suppliers, and I managed to track one down and now fitted and everything working.

Tags
raymarine