Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2014, 23:19   #1

Boat: Van deStadt 34
Raymarine SL631 Chartplotter - Upgrading Software?

I have a Raymarine SL631 chartplotter running version 4.09 software - the latest is version 4.11.
1) Is it possible to update the s/w and if so how?
2) Do any of you know the possible changes between v 4.09 and 4.11?
(The plotter is 10+ years old and has only NMEA (0183) and SeaTalk (1) comms - I do have a User Card if that helps. I am not getting "satisfaction" out of the local Ray offices and I have also tried the UK (with no answer yet)).
Thanks, Andrew
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 00:29   #2

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Re: Raymarine SL631 Chartplotter - Upgrading Software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
I have a Raymarine SL631 chartplotter running version 4.09 software - the latest is version 4.11.
1) Is it possible to update the s/w and if so how?
2) Do any of you know the possible changes between v 4.09 and 4.11?
(The plotter is 10+ years old and has only NMEA (0183) and SeaTalk (1) comms - I do have a User Card if that helps. I am not getting "satisfaction" out of the local Ray offices and I have also tried the UK (with no answer yet)).
Thanks, Andrew
Rots of ruck, Andrew, the beancounters at Raymarine seem to have decided to make support for older systems harder than it used to be.
Not to be too critical though, they have always had a pretty useful website, with access to manuals, etc., pretty good FAQ support, etc.; much better than some companies.

Raymarine Marine Electronics for Boats and Maritime Applications

Part of the problem with the old, very 'proprietary' units is the awkward update process, if even possible.
In your SL631 case, it might be done if you can get ahold of the special update C_MAP NT cartridge with the new firmware.
However, you state it only has a Seatalk port, per the procedure below it needs an HSB port to do the update (no way via the NMEA one).
Without looking at the manual for it I don't know if it has an HSB port, pull the cover off where it would be and see of there are pins there
(some units in the same family without various working port connectors still have the connector postions on the case as blanks).

So if it doesn't have an HSB port, it probably needs to have the firmware PROM/flash chip replaced by the Raymarine repair dept.
But I think I ran into this some time ago and read that they no longer work on certain older units, so you might just be SOL.

If your SL631 doesn't have the chartplotter function, therefore no slot to put the C-MAP card, the procedure to remote it from another unit via HSB bus is also below in the text and at the link.

The Raymarine links are here:
Software upgrade procedure for Pathfinder series displays (text copied below):
http://www.raymarine.com/knowledgeba....cfm?view=4755

(this link may not yield the 3 search results for a search on "SL631"--)
Your search returned 3 file(s). :
http://www.raymarine.com/knowledgebase/index.cfm

Software upgrade procedure for Pathfinder series displays

How do I upgradee the software in my Pathfinder series display?

HSB Displays :

RL70, RL70RC, R70, R70RC, R80, R80RC, RL70C, RL70CRC, RL80C, RL80CRC, Raychart 520, Raychart 530, Raychart 631

hsb2 Displays:

RL70+, RL70RC+, R70+, R70RC+, R80+, R80RC+, RL70C+, RL70CRC+, RL80C+, RL80CRC+, Raychart 520+, Raychart 530+, Raychart 631+

SL Stand-Alone Series:

SL70, SL70RC, SL70C, SL70CRC, SL520, SL530, SL631

Software Upgrade Procedure

All Pathfinder family displays (HSB, hsb2, and SL+) contain flash memory for onboard storage of their operating software. The software code is field upgradeable, by reflashing the onboard memory from a specially formatted C-MAP NT software cartridge. As enhancements and upgrades are created, Raymarine makes this software availalbe to our network of servicing agents and dealers. Units fitted with an integrated chart reader can be updated simply by inserting the appropriate update cartridge, and powering the display on. During boot-up, the software update is detected and identified, and the unit's internal software code is reflashed over the course of 60 to 90 seconds. After the upgrade is completed, the display restarts automatically, and is ready for operation. The upgrade cartridge can them be removed.

Units not having an integrated chart reader can be upgraded remotely via the HSB or hsb2 networks, using another display (with integrated card reader) to host the software. In this instance, the host and the unit to be updated sholuld be powered off, and linked using a standard HSB cable. the software update should be inserted into the upper card slot of the host unit. Next, the two displays are powered on, within 10 seconds of one another. the host display will detect and identify the software in its reader, and then determine whether it is valid software for itself. If the software matches that already installed in the host, or is for a differend category of display, the update is made available over the HSB or hsb2 system. The display to be updated then detects the software update, and proceeds to reflash itself. At the conclusion of the update, both displays will restart, and then the cartridge can be removed from the host display.

To determine the software version currently installed in your display, Click Here
To determine what type of display you have, Click Here
For the latest HSB series software information, Click Here
For the latest Pathfinder PLUS series software information, Click Here
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 16:45   #3

Tx J - thankyou very much for your reply - just what I needed. My plotter does have an HSB connector (3 pins) - I've never looked under the plug! It also has two slots for C-Map NT cards so either method should be available to me - if I can get the source! I've re-contacted the local Raymarine dealer with this information and we'll see where we end up. Thanks again, Andrew
Old 23-04-2014, 17:22   #4

Thanks to the links Tx J supplied I have a lot more information. The new version 4.11 is minor update to monocrome plotters ONLY but they changed the version number (and re-issued the old software) for all other models (mine is colour). For me 4.09 = 4.11.
Now that I have discovered that I have "HSB" - what does it do? Any other information available?
(the Ray site gives information on HSB2 which I guess is an ethernet network - I couldn't find HSB (1) ). Cheers, Andrew

Tags
chartplotter, marine, raymarine, software