Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 16:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

I wonder, if since it's discontinued, and no longer available from Raymarine. If these new replacement belts aren't exactly to the original specs. Hence, a little tight.

Page 12 strangely won't load for me, but I'm pretty sure I have it in the loosest position. With the wheel/cam in all the way, there should be the least amount of tension on the belt. Also, with how easily the ring and plate FINALLY went together, I'm pretty sure I have it right.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 16:58   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
I wonder, if since it's discontinued, and no longer available from Raymarine. If these new replacement belts aren't exactly to the original specs. Hence, a little tight.

Page 12 strangely won't load for me, but I'm pretty sure I have it in the loosest position. With the wheel/cam in all the way, there should be the least amount of tension on the belt. Also, with how easily the ring and plate FINALLY went together, I'm pretty sure I have it right.

Well..................

Heat it and stretch it.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 17:01   #18

Boat: Dufour 38
Some of the belts sold on ebay and elsewhere are very stiff. They are the right size, but so stiff that they cause problems.

The adjusting cam should rotate about 300 degrees. It does not go full circle.

Put the wheel completely back together. Looking at the BACK of the wheel, adjust the cam full counterclockwise. If you hold the clutch lever in about half way, you will see the lever move as you rotate the cam adjuster.

If you need a good belt, send a PM.
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:18   #19
Marine Service Provider

And the answer is much more simple than we all thought. Silicone spray! And instantly, I have 1 finger steering again.
Old 12-02-2011, 18:57   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
And the answer is much more simple than we all thought. Silicone spray! And instantly, I have 1 finger steering again.

That is great............but I don't get it. Tight is tight. Spray doesn't loosen an over tight belt.

But hey..............if it works it works.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 05:50   #21
Marine Service Provider

Unless it wasn't REALLY tight, but mainly just friction that made it seem extra tight.
Old 20-04-2018, 19:18   #22

Boat: Islander 36 1977
Re: Raymarine ST4000+ Belt Tension

problem soled.....for real
I have the older black version. I was having the same problem.
I bought the d169 at5/750mm belt from poly belt. I thought I bought the wrong belt; I called ray marine, this is the belt they recommend. I put silicone spray, adjusted the cam with no luck.
There are two pieces to the hub. The part with the motor attached, and the other. on the other piece where the belt grabs when unit is engaged, I took some 40 grit sand paper: and sanded around it. I'd sand a bit then snap it together to test it. it wasn't a whole lot I had to sand. when I finally sanded enough so the hub would slide easily while disengaged, I used 60,100,120,220 to smooth the plastic back out. It works like a charm now. If the belt stretches over time there wont be any problem because there is room for full adjustment, because I had the tensioner in it's loosest position.
good luck and happy sailing. :thumb
Moltensurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 16:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltensurf View Post
problem soled.....for real
I have the older black version. I was having the same problem.
I bought the d169 at5/750mm belt from poly belt. I thought I bought the wrong belt; I called ray marine, this is the belt they recommend. I put silicone spray, adjusted the cam with no luck.
There are two pieces to the hub. The part with the motor attached, and the other. on the other piece where the belt grabs when unit is engaged, I took some 40 grit sand paper: and sanded around it. I'd sand a bit then snap it together to test it. it wasn't a whole lot I had to sand. when I finally sanded enough so the hub would slide easily while disengaged, I used 60,100,120,220 to smooth the plastic back out. It works like a charm now. If the belt stretches over time there wont be any problem because there is room for full adjustment, because I had the tensioner in it's loosest position.
good luck and happy sailing. :thumb
Whoa!
7 years to fix it.
Old 22-04-2018, 11:19   #24

Wink Re: Raymarine ST4000+ Belt Tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Whoa!
7 years to fix it.
well I didn't start the thread, but someone had to figure out how to fix the issue....:whistling
Old 22-04-2018, 11:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Whoa!
7 years to fix it.
how did you stick the icon on there with the guy shaking his head? I wanted the guy whistling but can only get it to print text.
Old 21-07-2018, 05:48   #26

Boat: Catalina 36, MK2 #1897

My ST4000+ started popping out out auto to standby, giving code WHL. I have checked various sites and manual and don’t see WHL code anywhere. Unit is off the wheel, I was able to gently pry apart the two plates (“#1 = drive ring” and “#2 = mounting plate”) using a plastic ice scraper, inserting slightly at the three points where one mounts the unit on to steering wheel.
1) What is WHL code?
2) When I took apart plates, found two loose nuts, which I have determined match two screws diagonally across from each other. See picture.
3) how does one know if belts needs to be changed? I easily took off the five screws that hold support plate #4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	173996  
Pgutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 06:03   #27

Sorry, see #2 above. I can’t determine what those two nuts are for? They were found loose in the backing plate and are compatible with the screws for the mounting brackets but definitely not part of the mounting bracket assembly.
Old 21-07-2018, 07:52   #28

For some reason, the mounting brackets on my wheel need to align with the holes corresponding to these nuts. The side of bracket with the nut required that specific screw to be of longer length than other side.
I was able to re assemble and will test today. Stay tuned.
Old 22-07-2018, 21:05   #29

The good news: autohelm worked fine today, didn’t slip out of auto and held coarse well. I am wondering if it might have been a slightly loose electrical connection. I will bring electric connector spray cleaner and hope this project is history.

Tags
raymarine