Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2022, 21:36   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Raymarine ST60 instruments and Quark box

Hi,

So, I’m updating a few things on my new-to-me Islander Bahama 30. She came with a set of Raymarine ST60 instruments: speed, and wind. There’s also a depth instrument that hooked directly into the Raymarine display that used to be on my binnacle before I ripped it out and put in a tiller.

Since pulling the display out the GPS SOG stopped working, so I think that it routed through that box.

I ordered a Quark AO-26 with the idea that I could plug the old instruments into it and then access them via tablets and phones from anywhere on the boat. I’m going to use Navionics for now, but will eventually integrate the instruments and the Quark into a Raspberry Pi/Open CPN system.

This is all sort of sketched out for now.

I was hoping for some insight i to what concrete steps and equipment I can use to creat the network I’m describing. If it’s not clear already, I’m new yo these nav systems.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 02:31   #2

Re: Raymarine ST60 instruments and Quark box

If you want to connect with your existing Raymarine Seatalk devices (ST60 displays & sensors) then you perhaps should investigate the Quark A027 rather than the A026.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 08:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
If you want to connect with your existing Raymarine Seatalk devices (ST60 displays & sensors) then you perhaps should investigate the Quark A027 rather than the A026.
Ugh, I think you’re right!
And it takes forever to ship those things over from Poland.
Old 18-10-2022, 08:28   #4

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachduckworth View Post
Hi,

So, I’m updating a few things on my new-to-me Islander Bahama 30. She came with a set of Raymarine ST60 instruments: speed, and wind. There’s also a depth instrument that hooked directly into the Raymarine display that used to be on my binnacle before I ripped it out and put in a tiller.

Since pulling the display out the GPS SOG stopped working, so I think that it routed through that box.

I ordered a Quark AO-26 with the idea that I could plug the old instruments into it and then access them via tablets and phones from anywhere on the boat. I’m going to use Navionics for now, but will eventually integrate the instruments and the Quark into a Raspberry Pi/Open CPN system.

This is all sort of sketched out for now.

I was hoping for some insight i to what concrete steps and equipment I can use to creat the network I’m describing. If it’s not clear already, I’m new yo these nav systems.
the best way to tie it all together is get the seatalk to seatalkng/nmea2000 converter. this is NOT just a fancy cable, its actually a device running conversion software. It takes all the old seatalk data and puts it on seatalkng/nmea 2000. You can then connect a pi to the new nmea2000 backbone. I have done this, added a veratron go gps, and the ais output from my vhf. Everything gets everything including 2 old rm plotters, my pi, and aquamap on my ipad via wifi
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 08:40   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
the best way to tie it all together is get the seatalk to seatalkng/nmea2000 converter. this is NOT just a fancy cable, its actually a device running conversion software.
Indeed, this how we have wired our ST60s up to the SeaTalk NG, but it could have been a NMEA 2000 network. Widget cost us about £100 and came with a cable to switch the 2 pin plug to the round Seatalk NG fitting on the widget. Note you need to power the ST60s via the widget not their current supply. Instructions in with the widget.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 09:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
the best way to tie it all together is get the seatalk to seatalkng/nmea2000 converter. this is NOT just a fancy cable, its actually a device running conversion software. It takes all the old seatalk data and puts it on seatalkng/nmea 2000. You can then connect a pi to the new nmea2000 backbone. I have done this, added a veratron go gps, and the ais output from my vhf. Everything gets everything including 2 old rm plotters, my pi, and aquamap on my ipad via wifi
Thanks for the info, this thread has been extremely helpful.
How do you connect the AIS into the NMEA network?
Old 18-10-2022, 13:10   #7

Boat: Najad 373

Quote:

Since it has a Nmea0183 output, you will also need a conversion cable to connect to the STNG backbone. Look up the Raymarine website, it has a wealth of technical support documentation that describes the network extensively.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 05:26   #8

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Thanks for the info, this thread has been extremely helpful.
I think I saw upthread you were planning on a pi?

If so, that's another alternative. I use the PiCAN-M hat from copperhill tech. But there are alternatives. Signal K can drop the 0183 data onto the nmea2000 backbone

in my case my vhf has the ais receiver and has both 0183 and 2000 output so it was super easy.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 06:26   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Consider a Quark QK A031 and AS03 the later allows conversion between RS232 and RS422 for the older Raymarine units and the former allows NMEA and native SeaTalk to be combined and retransmitted over wifi.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
instruments, marine, men, raymarine, rum