Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2021, 10:38   #1

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
Raymarine ST60 Wind sensor access to bearings?

The wind speed part of my Raymarine ST60 Wind sensor stopped working. The little cups don't rotate, even in a gale. The direct vane is working fine.

I went up the mast and brought down the wind vane. I could hardly turn the cups by hand.

I unscrewed the small screw attaching the cup assembly and removed the cups. Then I opened the "egg" by unscrewing. I removed the circuit board and see the cup with two cutout segments. The cup interrupts a light beam device on the board.

Next I tried to get to the bearings. I tried pulling off the cup. It distorted before it showed any signs of moving.

I researched for instructions, videos, etc. I found a suggestion to spray in WD40. This helped and the bearing loosened up so I can flick a cup and it moves but not as free as the direction panel.

I found salt crystals in the cup. I assume salty airgot in somehow.

I went up the mast and re-installed. In light winds many of the other mast head sensors rotate. Mine does not. We have strong winds forecast from tomorrow so maybe the winds will exercise the bearings but I doubt it.

Does anyone know how to get to the bearings?

Looking at the price of a new wind vane I had to sit down from shock. Then I looked up the specifications for the ST60. Could not find any reference to accuracy, maximum wind etc. Anyone got any information? So we pay many hundreds of dollars for a device with no specs where bearings can clog after a few years and they can't be replaced.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 01:32   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Raymarine ST60 Wind sensor access to bearings?

Our ST60 instruments are 20 years old, done 45,000 nm and the wind speed and direction unit works fine. I would hazard that the ST60 range of instruments are among the most rugged and reliable there are.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 03:34   #3

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

Yup, the 20 year old instruments were built to last and not for early obsolescence. In my case a 4 year old wind sensor on a boat that gets a lot of salt spray failed.

Evidence of salt crystals inside, no access to bearings and more than 100GBP for a new plastic sealed unit holding the $3 bearings.

Then there is the Raymarine chart plotter I inherited with a special circular knob and a rubber membrane that rotted out. No longer supported, no spare parts although less than 10 years old. And because the engineer that designed it thought that the seal was perfect, the circuit boards don't have a conformal coating for protection. (A cheap varnish). So the tracks on the circuit board holding the switches eroded away.

And then there is the 3 year old Raymarine plotter that has a software bug whereby it displays data from at least one NMEA0183 message incorrectly.

Still waiting for an answer from Raymarine.

So I am really happy for you that you have had no problems with your 20 year old ST60. Good luck with your replacement when yours eventually fails.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 04:41   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

Raymarine tech help on the phone has always been great for me.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 16:02   #5

Found this thread looking for help on the same issue. The bearings on the lower unit were accessible by removing the magnetic top hat (pull off with moderate force).

The whole white bearing unit can then be pushed out using a tube of a suitable diameter with a hole for the rod ( so you can apply even force across the whole bearing unit.

The plastic unit can the. Be split in half vertically by inserting a small screwdriver into one of the gaps at the top. Inside is a rod with the bearing, and a spring.

My bearing and spring were completely corroded and essentaiially fell off. I'm in the process of finding a suitable replacement. I'm not going to try to get OEM just a generic replacement. I don't need perfect wind speed measurements.

I believe the pin that sits on the bearing should separate to allow for installation of the new bearing (possibly screw) but at this stage I can not get it to do so.
Wallyt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 17:39   #6

I have included a photo of the disassembled bearing assembly.

The bearings were completely shot, as was the spring and one o ring.

The bearings appear to be to be 5 x 8 x 2.5 bearings. I will be ordering some new ceramic bearings and attempting to reassemble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231021_003422398.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	282366  
Old 10-05-2024, 23:51   #7

Did you manage to find bearings and resolve yours get free etc.
Any other info on the operation would be very welcome
screensaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 00:12   #8

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

O Rings brittle with time, if your unit is ten years old and not had to change any O rings you have been lucky or you maintain it well.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 15:37   #9

Thanks. Yea mine is just over 15 years and the cups stopped turning this week. The direction also has a glitch between 30 to 34 degrees to port. Haven't pulled it off yet as I have a problem with heights and the mast is coming out for re-rigg next week so Im trying to figure out what parts I should probably have. Seems bearings and Orings. I'm hoping the direction glitch will clean up, but that small dead spot is not a Maijor. Thanks
screensaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 21:30   #10

I did manage to get bearings for mine, although I couldn't get it to spin as freely.

I lost interest in the project for a bit, and need to get into it again.

Tags
marine, raymarine, wind