Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 21:35   #1

Boat: Dromor Athena 44
Raymarine ST6001 Not Responding - Any ideas?

My boat came equipped with a Raymarine ST6001 autopilot, S1 computer, and Type 1 linear motor. I know it worked when I bought the boat 2 years but has since stopped working although it saw basically no use. In short, it seems all the components are working and the control head shows as if everything is working but the pilot does nothing.

Here is what I know:

1) control head it is connected via SeaTalk1 to the computer and SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG via the Raymarine converter part number E22158.
2) The control head powers up from the SeaTalk backbone and says "No Pilot" if the computer switch is off.
3) When I turn on the computer the control head is in standby mode with the correct compass bearing shown on the display. The correct heading is shown even when the boat is not moving so it must be coming from the fluxgate compass (e.g. no bearing from GPS, if that is even possible).
4) The rudder bar was not showing, but this morning I went into the setup and the display was simply turned off. It seems to be working properly on both end stops and when the wheel is centered.
5) when you press auto the screen says "Auto" and the +/- buttons change the compass bearing, but... nothing happens.
6) The Raymarine a75 chart plotter shows messages when the auto pilot is turned on and off so is obviously getting a signal.
7) When the linear motor is connected directly to the battery it works.
8) The SeaTalk 1 fuse (2a) and power in (10a) both appear OK. I don't see any other fuses.
9) Rudder / steering working properly.

I checked the operation and calibration manuals plus the computer manual and the troubleshooting, but none describe what to do when everything seems to be working but the pilot simply doesn't respond...

Does anyone know what the problem may be or any other troubleshooting that would help me figure it out?
SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 21:44   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Raymarine ST6001 Not Responding - Any ideas?

Can you still hand turn tne wheel when you set Auto?
With Auto on doe the plus minus buttons do anthing?
Are you tied in a berth?
Old 13-05-2019, 21:49   #3

When in Auto, I can turn the wheel as if nothing changed.

When in Auto, the +/- buttons change the bearing shown on the control head, but nothing else happens. When i press standby the bearing returns to the actual heading position.

I am on a swing mooring, although the behavior I describe is the same even if moving under motor or sail. If I need to test anything specific while moving I can do it this weekend.
Old 13-05-2019, 22:26   #4

Check the power wires that go from the computer to the linear drive and the clutch wires.
Old 13-05-2019, 22:44   #5

I didn't say this earlier, but the first thing I did was check the motor wiring. This was many months ago, but the ends were not properly terminated by the previous owner and had some oxidation. I installed terminations thinking that would help, but it didn't change anything. When I connect the battery to the same terminations on the motor it spins.

Admittedly I haven't investigated the clutch. I don't hear the motor spinning without movement so didn't think to check it. Clearly the clutch is not being engaged as I can still spin the wheel--maybe the computer won't power the motor until the clutch is engaged... I will check Thursday AM on the mooring and this weekend while moving--thanks for the tip.
Old 13-05-2019, 23:11   #6

Moving won't make any difference. Pretty sure you have a wiring from the computer to the linear drive / clutch issue. Possibly a fuse in the computer.
Old 14-05-2019, 10:20   #7
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Disconnect from the motor, then Check the voltage at the ends of the wires as you vary AP commands.
Old 14-05-2019, 10:34   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRnglr View Post
My boat came equipped with a Raymarine ST6001 autopilot, S1 computer, and Type 1 linear motor. I know it worked when I bought the boat 2 years but has since stopped working although it saw basically no use. In short, it seems all the components are working and the control head shows as if everything is working but the pilot does nothing.

Here is what I know:

1) control head it is connected via SeaTalk1 to the computer and SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG via the Raymarine converter part number E22158.
2) The control head powers up from the SeaTalk backbone and says "No Pilot" if the computer switch is off.
3) When I turn on the computer the control head is in standby mode with the correct compass bearing shown on the display. The correct heading is shown even when the boat is not moving so it must be coming from the fluxgate compass (e.g. no bearing from GPS, if that is even possible).
4) The rudder bar was not showing, but this morning I went into the setup and the display was simply turned off. It seems to be working properly on both end stops and when the wheel is centered.
5) when you press auto the screen says "Auto" and the +/- buttons change the compass bearing, but... nothing happens.
6) The Raymarine a75 chart plotter shows messages when the auto pilot is turned on and off so is obviously getting a signal.
7) When the linear motor is connected directly to the battery it works.
8) The SeaTalk 1 fuse (2a) and power in (10a) both appear OK. I don't see any other fuses.
9) Rudder / steering working properly.

I checked the operation and calibration manuals plus the computer manual and the troubleshooting, but none describe what to do when everything seems to be working but the pilot simply doesn't respond...

Does anyone know what the problem may be or any other troubleshooting that would help me figure it out?
I have an ST7002+ Control Unit and Raymarine Smart Pilot S3G which lost autopilot function last summer in British Columbia enroute to Alaska (never made it)...your symptoms sound somewhat familiar. My first thought was a computer problem and checked/reprogrammed everything to no avail. As it is just a box of wires/chips and nothing a user can really do on the water we just hand steered for days.

One morning I thought about it again and recalled that there are only TWO mechanical connections: the Linear Drive Unit and the Rudder Reference Unit. Sure enough the Rudder Reference Unit had come undone due to the knuckle connection wearing away and falling out; coming apart due to the necessary manner of install, upside-down. I removed the knuckle, drilled a small hole for a cotter pin, reinstalled and had my autopilot back in 20 minutes. So, check your mechanical connections.

On another note I did an Internet search for the Dromor Athena 44 specifications and came away with virtually nothing...seems to be a popular Mediterranean boat built for the charter trade and Dormor is now out of business. Without a Displacement number I can't say for sure but it seems to me that a 44' boat would be better suited for either a type 2 linear drive or hydraulic unit rather than the type 1, its appears underpowered.

God Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 11:25   #9

Boat: Riva 48

I have a similar setup and the short of it is that the S1/SPX5 generation autopilots do not work well with the new a6/7/8/9 chartplotters. The ST-STNG converter works well sometimes, sometimes it does not. My suggestion would be:

- Check the connections to be sure you are not missing something obvious
- Try connecting the ST6001 head directly to the autopilot, not through the converter. Raymarine does not recommend that but sometimes it works better
- Change the autopilot computer and head. You can do this for relatively little money, selling the S1/ST6001 on ebay and getting a P70/Evolution autopilot

Bottom line is, either stay in the ST/nmea 0183 world or upgrade everything to STNG. Halfway solutions are too convoluted and basically, a waste of time.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 11:46   #10
Marine Service Provider

Any ideas? Yes, RTFM. That's airplane talk for Read The F...king Manual.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 12:52   #11

I would check the wiring and fuses before calling for help. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the Power output circuit from the controller. I ended up sending the unit off for repairs and was very pleased with the service. If your good with electronics you could replace the parts yourself but since your asking for help troubleshooting, I'm guessing you may want to send the unit out if you eliminate the easy fixes. I've attempted to post a link to the boat gallery. The article reference Dan who is the same person I used. If the link doesn't work go to the boat gallery website and search for raymarine. Hopefully this helps.

https://theboatgalley.com/raymarine-instrument-repair/
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:44   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

are you locking the wheel before engaging the autopilot? mine requires that i do so.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 19:21   #13

Boat: South Coast 36

I had the exact some problem. A small piece of insulation had fallen into the clutch. It was a two second fix (after removing steering, throttle, electrics and pedestal)
aualby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 20:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualby View Post
I had the exact some problem. A small piece of insulation had fallen into the clutch. It was a two second fix (after removing steering, throttle, electrics and pedestal)

Could you hear the motor spinning when the computer was trying to change course, but the clutch was disengaged so it didn’t do anything? I my case I hear no motor... I will be back on the boat tomorrow to check more.
Old 14-05-2019, 21:37   #15
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRnglr View Post
Could you hear the motor spinning when the computer was trying to change course, but the clutch was disengaged so it didn’t do anything? I my case I hear no motor... I will be back on the boat tomorrow to check more.
If you get this solved please let us know what it was.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine