Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 04:41   #16

Re: Raystar 120 GPS Recever Needs Replacement

Plus goes up, connecting to the 2 leaded bracket.
Fireman_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 05:01   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I think it's admirable when people are able to keep old gear like this running. Not to keep throwing away perfectly good stuff and constantly buy new stuff.

But where GPSs are concerned -- there have been great leaps in the technology since the Raystar 120's and 125's were designed.

GPS receivers these days are much faster, much more sensitive, receive other systems (GLONASS, Galileo), have WAAS which works in Europe too (EGNOS), give more precise position data. And -- on top of all of that, have become much cheaper.

This is one type of gear where it really might make sense to toss the old stuff. A new Simrad GS25 costs less than $200 and is great leaps ahead of previous generations of GNSS receivers.

The other thing worth tossing is old style fluxgate compasses. The new generation are based on solid state magnetometers and are much more stable, and most of them are now gyro stabilized.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 05:18   #18

Cobra now has a VHF radio with a built in GPS for $150, less than most GPS units alone! Just connect the NMEA out to your display. I'm curious as to how good the reception is with the radio under the hardtop.
Old 22-04-2015, 05:21   #19

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I had the same issue last year. Purchased a Digital Yacht GPS and it worked great, quick acquisition etc. Only problem was it crashed whenever I turned on the autopilot. Figured time could be better spent than trying to solve that one, so bought the new Raymarine unit, it was pricey after having to purchase the SeatalkNG to Seatalk downconverter as well. But it is working well.
S/V Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 05:31   #20

While I'm making some pretty good side money repairing Raymarine units, I would not spend the money they're asking for the 130 plus the converter. It pisses me off when companies have crappy proprietary designs that fail then force you into a ridiculously expensive replacement that may end up with the same or more issues.
Old 22-04-2015, 06:48   #21

Thanks for the clarification, Fireman_Bob, think I've got it now. The cost of a new GPS receiver isn't as important to me as the pain-in-the-butt of running the cable down our trawler mast and threading it forward to the chart plotter - a formidable task! So, I'll put off replacement for now and replace the Raystar 120 battery instead. Cheers,
Bill G.
BJGWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps