Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 13:50   #1

re-use Radar scanner - Pairing with new MFD

Hi, my Raymarine SL70 radar display broke and I'm left with an old Radar scanner. The scanner is wired directly into the display unit, I'll try to attach the schematic I've extracted from the owner's manual.

Now I'm browsing to purchase a multi-function display and I'm trying to understand if I can re-use this older radar or I need to replace the radome completely.

All newer systems seem to be using ethernet (or wifi connections). I'm wondering if I can re-wire the scanner and use it with a modern MFD.

Being rather old, I would think my radar scanner is analog, and newer scanners are all digital? And that doesnt sound compatible...I'm still learning things as I post this...

https://imgur.com/a/f1oT5Xk
Zenith 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 14:26   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: re-use Radar scanner - Pairing with new MFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith 1 View Post
Hi, my Raymarine SL70 radar display broke and I'm left with an old Radar scanner. The scanner is wired directly into the display unit, I'll try to attach the schematic I've extracted from the owner's manual.

Now I'm browsing to purchase a multi-function display and I'm trying to understand if I can re-use this older radar or I need to replace the radome completely.

All newer systems seem to be using ethernet (or wifi connections). I'm wondering if I can re-wire the scanner and use it with a modern MFD.

Being rather old, I would think my radar scanner is analog, and newer scanners are all digital? And that doesnt sound compatible...I'm still learning things as I post this...

basically the answer is no, its not compatible with any of the newer stuff , its for the recycling bin Im afraid
Old 20-02-2022, 14:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Hi Zenith and welcome to the forum.

With a name like Zenith you should be an electronics expert.

I looked into this subject when I was on a very limited budget and trying to upgrade my old Raymarine radar. Even buying a slightly newer RM display was not compatible. Basically you need to verify exactly what dome and which display to determine if they're compatible. RM has a pretty good tech support website that you may find the answer already. If not, post and a RM tech usually answers by the next day.

If you're looking at a brand new display then the odds of using the old dome is pretty much zero.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 15:34   #4

The latest compatible MFD I was able to find is the e120, labeled "classic" E/C series. But that also requires an adapter cable. Both of which are pretty hard to find, the cable itself was 250USD. This solution offers no warranty, obviously.

I may try reaching out to Raymarine, thanks for the input so far guys.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
The latest compatible MFD I was able to find is the e120, labeled "classic" E/C series. But that also requires an adapter cable. Both of which are pretty hard to find, the cable itself was 250USD. This solution offers no warranty, obviously.

If you really want to try to use the old dome you can shop eBay and very likely find the adapter cable and such. BUT be aware that analog radars use a device called a magnetron that has has a finite lifespan in regard to the number of operating hours. Usually not an issue on yachts that see much less use than commercial or fishing vessels.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 11:36   #6

Quote:

Unfortunately you are not alone in the analog-digital crossover.
The E120 is the last of the analog displays- and was equipped with the "round plug" and Ethernet connections.

The easy solution is find an E120 display- ( PM me if you get desperate) but then understand the chart functions etc may be difficult to update depending what chats you want.
The switch to digital and newer units then becomes a balance of monies vs needs.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 12:12   #7

Boat: Oyster 56

+1 on above compatibility advice above, also note that raymarine has shut down their support forum so don’t expect any help from there. Be aware that the e120 uses a fluorescent tube technology for backlighting. This is a very common failure point for these units (and has a significant power draw). If you are buying a secondhand e120 see if you can get one which has been retrofitted with led backlights.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 12:29   #8

Definitely sounds like we'll upgrade to new MFD and digital radar.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Tags
radar