Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2023, 07:42   #1

Real world experience with Zeus3S & iPad remote control

I'm currently specifying electronics for a new build, which will include a B&G Zeus3S plotter in the cockpit.

At the chart table, I'm considering whether I can rely on an iPad with B&G app as a remote controller for the plotter.

Last week I chartered a boat with a Zeus3 (non-S) plotter, and experimented with the app, connected using the plotter's built in WiFi. It was not a good experience - rendering on the iPad display was slow and patchy, plus remote control was totally unreliable. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Mostly not.

I'd love to hear from owners/users with a Zeus 3S who have used the iPad mirroring in anger, and have two questions:
1. Does it work with the plotter and the iPad on the same boat WiFi network (as opposed to using the plotter's built in WiFi). The user manual says it should, but I'm sceptical about believing it until I've seen it.

2. Have you found the connection robust and fast enough to be usable as the primary chart table display/controller? Others have reported dropped connections, amongst other things.
Thanks all.
Flobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 09:57   #2

Re: Real world experience with Zeus3S & iPad remote control

1. Yes.
2. No – You won't be happy. It's extremely laggy, and locks you out after some period of time (hours) and requires you to reconnect. And you are not allowed to control autopilot at all, period.
silvercreek is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, Ipad, remote