Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2022, 13:19   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Recommendations on off the shelf nav/wind/AIS transponder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Why don’t I just get this for a chart plotter and AIS alarm since it works great and I’m used to using it?

https://inavx.com/

All I need an iPad (or two) and the NMEA 2000 -> WiFi converter. Far less complicated

I don't see why you couldn't. Although I don't think it gives a provision for adding radar. But if you've got everything else feeding data via NMEA2000 and can get that data to a PC, tablet, etc. then you can always swap out the software later.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 13:27   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It seems pretty good actually for everything that I’m looking for. There is an AIS alarm, anchor alarm, etc. Check out the video.

And I’m already used to using this. I’ve been using all its in carnations since it was created just for Apple laptops.

And check out the chart selection. The entire universe is covered. And it’s all free for the United States with raster charts.

I think that’s better than open CPN, right? I’ve never used open CPN though.

https://youtu.be/bI5rBP_Elps
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 13:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I don't see why you couldn't. Although I don't think it gives a provision for adding radar. But if you've got everything else feeding data via NMEA2000 and can get that data to a PC, tablet, etc. then you can always swap out the software later.
Ahhhh radar.

Maybe it would be good to have a dedicated radar display? Later?

I was thinking the same. If everything is on NMEA2000, then it’s available to whatever.
Old 10-11-2022, 14:37   #34

Keep in mind, the NOAA raster charts are being discontinued, so many are no longer being updated. NOAA ENCs or anyone else's electronic charts will be current though.

But it's not a bad idea to start with a simple solution for now (tablet app or OpenCPN which also has free charts for the US). And then figure out what you really want for a nav PC, radar, software, etc. as time allows.
Old 10-11-2022, 14:51   #35

Quote:
Keep in mind, the NOAA raster charts are being discontinued, so many are no longer being updated. NOAA ENCs or anyone else's electronic charts will be current though.

But it's not a bad idea to start with a simple solution for now (tablet app or OpenCPN which also has free charts for the US). And then figure out what you really want for a nav PC, radar, software, etc. as time allows.
I think that’s the plan.

So, wind instruments in order that I don’t capsize the boat learning its sailing characteristics, AIS transceiver, basic tablet chart plotter, autopilot as is already installed, do the radar later with a ladder.
Old 11-11-2022, 14:12   #36

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
I think that’s the plan.

So, wind instruments in order that I don’t capsize the boat learning its sailing characteristics, AIS transceiver, basic tablet chart plotter, autopilot as is already installed, do the radar later with a ladder.

Instal the radar mount and the cable (if generic) or at least a mouse line before the mast goes up. The last thing you want to be doing off a ladder or bosun’s chair is drilling and tapping holes.

Same for masthead antennas for VHF (whether shared with or independent of your AIS transceiver), mobile, TV, etc, or masthead video - installing and leading cables while the mast is down is infinitely easier.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 14:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Instal the radar mount and the cable (if generic) or at least a mouse line before the mast goes up. The last thing you want to be doing off a ladder or bosun’s chair is drilling and tapping holes.

Same for masthead antennas for VHF (whether shared with or independent of your AIS transceiver), mobile, TV, etc, or masthead video - installing and leading cables while the mast is down is infinitely easier.

Agreed. For anything you don't know for sure yet if you want/need it, at least make it easy to add later.
Old 11-11-2022, 14:22   #38

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
That’s exactly what I’m thinking for when the mast goes up. An extra display for wind (apparent and true) so I can sail by the numbers

So what do you suggest for software on the laptop or tablet then? Chart plotting? If OpenCPN is no good?

An ACU 150 isn’t what I’m thinking of installing. It’s what Raymarine tech support matched with my SeaStar hydraulic steering system and rams and what is installed in the boat now after I upgraded from a wheel pilot and cable steering.

They don’t think it’s under powered. They specified it.

It matches the Rams.

This is what was specified by Raymarine :

(Qty: 1) Raymarine ACU-150

(Qyt: 1) Raymarine M81120 Hydraulic pump

and here is the rest of the system:

(Qty:1) SeaStar (Teleflex) 1275V

(Qty:2) Seastar HC5314-3 Inboard BA150-7ATM Hydraulic Boat Steering Cylinder

Please don’t cause me to have a heart attack again. Or to quit boating . Because these types of things make me want to quit.

Why would you have such a different opinion than Raymarine technical support?

If they recommended the wrong thing and I wasted thousands of dollars I’m ****ing done. I’m not doing this anymore.

If Raymarine specified it then fine, presumably the distributer knows what he/she is talking about. It just seemed a bit undersized from my perspective, but I’m certainly not an expert. All good, and I’m very sorry for introducing a spurious worry.

Your proposal to continue using iNavx makes sense. If one day you decide that’s not sufficient, you will then have your own experience leading you towards an MFD or continuing with application-based solutions.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 14:59   #39

Boat: 1973 van de stadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Quickest and cheapest OpenCPN (free), uses free US charts and provides input and output software links. Your existing Mac may work or a Windows (horror) laptop, You also need some form of multiplexor, either hard wired (RS232 / NMEA / USB) or wifi, to link your PC / GPS / RM together.

You don't mention what GPS you have or what Raymarine network you have. This will affect what multiplexor you need.

Much as people hate Windows, it is a straight out of the box solution and the sheer volume of development and support makes it an easier and more reliable choice than Mac or Linux especially for less technically inclined users.

Depending on your skill set a RPi running Linux would give you more for you buck but requires both software and hardware knowledge to achieve a reliable system. A 12v PC and monitor(s) maybe, the options are endless.

You need to say what Raymarine stuff you have and if it includes a GPS.
+1

Your Standard horizon radio features both GPS and AIS receiver. Rather than adding a usb adapter, I use a nmea to wifi adapter to send gps and vessel traffic data to my pc, and my phone ,both use opencpn.

OpenCPN suits us fine over longer distances than your traveling.
spotfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 21:53   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The ACU 150’is good for 12A. It has no clutch output which a hydraulic system typically doesn’t need. It should be fine a bigger system is a waste of money
Old 12-11-2022, 07:26   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The ACU 150’is good for 12A. It has no clutch output which a hydraulic system typically doesn’t need. It should be fine a bigger system is a waste of money

Thank God. I nearly had a heart attack. Another one. Especially because I have already installed everything. And paid for at all. It’s all brand new. Brand new steering system and auto pilot. Big upgrade.

The thing is with these boats, I have really well balanced rudders. It takes nothing to move them really.

I was using a push pull cable system that you would normally use with outboards previously. The problem was there was slop in it. That’s just how it is. There is a lot of slop in those systems and the wheel pilot could not handle that slop. So I could not have an auto pilot. This whole upgrade was to ensure that I have a good reliable auto pilot.

I’ll be selling off that wheel pilot kit shortly. I’ll be selling off a lot of stuff actually.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:31   #42

If your rudder loads never get that high, it shouldn't take a super powerful autopilot to steer the boat. As long as the pump is sized to move the rudders at an appropriate speed, you should be good to go.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:38   #43

Quote:
If your rudder loads never get that high, it shouldn't take a super powerful autopilot to steer the boat. As long as the pump is sized to move the rudders at an appropriate speed, you should be good to go.
And that’s exactly how Ray Marine figured it out.

The only thing that they really needed was the volume of my steering cylinders. I think they may have asked me something about how quickly I wanted it to turn or something. I don’t remember. But it was all about the volume of the steering cylinders. They just need to match a pump that could put out the proper volume. And from that pump, then they specify the control unit.
Old 14-11-2022, 07:09   #44

Boat: Alberg 35

Icom MA-510TR

Love mine. It is either stand alone or can be integrated with other electronics via NMEA
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 09:37   #45
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
I figure everyone else knows a lot more about electronics than I do. I don’t really use them or study them. Being a tech guy from way back, I’m a little burnt out on technical things and prefer more traditional (Amish? Lol) ways of sailing.

However, this is a high tech boat and I’ll be single handing, mostly. I’ll need electronics for safety reasons.

So I figure maybe instead of spending time figuring out electronics in the 2 1/2 weeks I have left to get the boat ready for a 200nm trip to the rigger, I will ask another question on the forum.

Can anyone recommend what I should buy for electronics?

This is what I currently have:

*Old MacBook
*MacENC with free noaa raster charts
*Raymarine network with Raymarine Hydraulic autopilot/hydraulic steering (not linked to navigation)
*Standard horizon VHF with AIS (not even sure what this is, AIS wise)

Tasks I need done by the electronics:

1) navigation planning and following routes
2) autopilot steering to a heading
3) wind speed and direction to sail by the numbers on high performance cat (reefing will be important)
4) proximity alarms as redundancy to my own traditional watch keeping (AIS? RADAR?). Extra measures of collision avoidance are important to me when single handing over great distances. You get groggy and stupid.

Note: I’ve never had AIS or a working radar unit before.

Keeping in mind that I already have an extreme aversion to spending money on electronics for boats, what would be the best and cheapest way to accomplish those tasks above?

What should I buy to accomplish the tasks? Thanks!
I find your post confusing. With your aversion to spending money, only 200 miles to go, and motoring all you need is a handheld GPS. It will give you everything you need to know. Just be sure to pick good weather windows and keep your eyes open.

FWIW I have completed a roundtrip to Ketchikan, Alaska (over 700 NM) and Vancouver Island circumnavigation with only an old Garmin 45 and paper charts of course.

Good Luck.

Tags
ais, men, wind