Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 15:38   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
Recommended AC Electrical outlets (USA)

What are the recommended interior A/C outlets for 120V/15A?

I note that residential outlets by Eaton or Leviton start at about .60c. I expect these are not even safe in a residential application. Contractor grade are about $3. Probably the minimum I would use in my house. An outdoor "weather resistant" outlet is about $4. Then, "Marine Grade" outlets at WM cost $50. Which there isn't a chance in hell I am going to splurge for.

The outlets I am replacing, some of the terminal screws are thoroughly rusted, and the mounting tabs falling apart. So I would expect those should be brass or something? Is there something recommended that is "marine grade" and significantly better than the residential outdoor, but not as ridiculously priced as the Marinco from WM?

Is the $4 outdoor outlet good enough for a damp location? The worst one I am replacing is in the head/shower, where there was also a portlight that leaked saltwater near it. Though it was installed in a box with a "waterproof" cover so in theory stayed dry.
Old Today, 17:14   #2

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran
Re: Recommended AC Electrical outlets (USA)

I use a 20 amp rated outlet. I use ring terminals and corrosion-X, never had a problem in 20 years.
Avionics_Joe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical, men, USA