Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2016, 21:15   #1

Recovering a pump & motor that has been immersed in salt water

Not too sure where to post this one!

Anyway, I removed my 240v water maker motor & pump to allow a Shipwright to do some work in area where this unit is installed. I left it under my cockpit table (which is enclosed in clears) & some FW entered my boat & tossed it overboard. Some other damage was also done - however, they did leave behind a pair of ladies underpants, neatly folded in my dinghy! Go figure.

A diver has now located motor/pump.

So how best to clean this up/preserve it, before I take motor to an expert for evaluation?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 21:19   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Recovering a pump & motor that has been immersed in salt water

Ask the manufacturer?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 21:51   #3

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Or the expert.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 22:51   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Shine 38

Open and wash it in FW (in bucket), dry in the owen for 24h 70 - 80°C of expose to the sun few days. Before mounting back made Mohm test, if is ok change bearings or remove old grease and put fresh inside bearings. But if you don't know best is bring motor to somebody that know job and have Mhom tester and he will also put warnish on the windings.

Regards

Damir
damir s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 03:35   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

My electric boat lift motors were submerged for several hours in brackish water during Hurricane Isabel. I hosed them down thoroughly, let them dry out and then drenched them with WD-40. They worked fine after all that.
Old 17-08-2016, 04:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Submerge in fresh water hopefully before it dries out, take to someone who can overhaul it or disassemble yourself if you know how. If there is no corrosion and you have not applied power, you may save them both.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 08:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'd go for the fresh water rinse ( several times) & saturate with WD40 immediately then dry out as suggested in other posts. Have tried this with good success on drowned outboards more than once. Hope it wasnt in the salt water too long tho as they etch with all the dissimilar metals
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 11:54   #8

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by damir s View Post
Open and wash it in FW (in bucket), dry in the owen for 24h 70 - 80°C of expose to the sun few days. Before mounting back made Mohm test, if is ok change bearings or remove old grease and put fresh inside bearings. But if you don't know best is bring motor to somebody that know job and have Mhom tester and he will also put warnish on the windings.

Regards

Damir
Was about to recommend the same. I worked in the mining industry when at times underground equipment was flooded, crushers, screens, etc. Also surface plants that were mothballed for years and rehabilitated.
Electric motors are cheap and evaluation is warranted to see cost effectiveness of drying out motor, etc.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 17:47   #9

Boat: Custom designed wood 69 ft ketch; Moonfire

If you can find a product called "Saltaway" this is perfect for this application. Dismantle the motor as much as you are able; including the brushes, and soak for a few days. Then perform the rinse cycles, and dry thoroughly as others have indicated. Also be aware the salt water can permeate up insulated wires, and damage does not appear for months. Be prepared at some future point to replace these wires. Good luck.

Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 18:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs View Post
Not too sure where to post this one!

Anyway, I removed my 240v water maker motor & pump to allow a Shipwright to do some work in area where this unit is installed. I left it under my cockpit table (which is enclosed in clears) & some FW entered my boat & tossed it overboard. Some other damage was also done - however, they did leave behind a pair of ladies underpants, neatly folded in my dinghy! Go figure.

A diver has now located motor/pump.

So how best to clean this up/preserve it, before I take motor to an expert for evaluation?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The motor has pretty much been covered on what to do. The pump on the other hand hasn't. More than likely, you should be able to salvage the pump depending on what kind of pump will depend on what you have to do. If it's a plunger pump like a cat, you will have to pay some quick attention to the power end. remove the shaft bearing caps, open up the back and rinse with fresh water before blowing dry. drench the shaft bearings with Boshield T-9 and put the caps back on (dont worry about the gaskets right now. Also spray the inside crank, and rod components with it too. Close it up and add any motor oil filling the pump. Spin the pump (an drill would work) for some time draining and repeating. Then Do the entire process again, replace the gaskets and fill with proper oil. I would also add a little Lucas oil stabilizer. The fluid end simple flush to insure no mud is in it because it doesn't care if salt water is in it. So if your pump is a piston style pump, I hope this helps.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 14:27   #11

Thanks for all your responses.

Manufacturer was closed for holidays, so that was out.

Ended up flushing immediately with fresh water and spraying with INOX. Then disassembled and used compressed air to clean out tight areas. Washed again with fresh water & another saturation with INOX. Let dry in sun for a few days, replaced bearings, grease & oil (in pump).

It now works fine, but only time will tell if it is reliable!

Thanks again.

feebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, salt, salt water, water