Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 01:41   #1

Register Raymarine Radio when boat under new ownership and flag?

Hi Everyone,

I have looked through so many pages and forums but cannot seem to find the answer to my question, so I thought I'd post it here to see if someone picks it up and can help us.

We are fairly new to the sailing community and have been told that when we buy a boat we need to re-register the Raymarine Radio. We have now finally found our dream boat - she used to sail under a Finnish flag and we have now bought and registered her in Germany. It's only for pleasure sailing, but what do we need to update radio communication / call sign wise?

Thanks!
Sailig_Irma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:46   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Register Raymarine Radio when boat under new ownership and flag?

Yes , you will need to get a German ships radio license and that will give you a German radio call sign and German MMSI.
Old 08-03-2022, 21:52   #3

generally the radio needs to be mailed away to the maker to have the old number reset. if the radio is old it may be better to just buy a new one.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 22:48   #4

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

The only item that cannot be reset by the user is the MMSI. Any raymarine dealer can do it, but either take the radio out and give it to them, or they will have to visit the boat.
Most units only take a few mins..
Old 09-03-2022, 03:13   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

I don't know if it's done differently in Europe, but in the US, the seller can cancel his license (can be done online and takes 24 to 48 hours). Then you can apply for your license and specifically request the seller's MMSI #. Your application also can be done online and takes about 48 hours.

That way, you don't have to reprogram all the radios onboard -- you keep the same MMSI #. Your new license will show your new boat name as well (if you put that info on the license application).

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 21:46   #6

He can’t keep / transfer the mmsi it’s from another country.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:27   #7
Nearly an old salt

Register Raymarine Radio when boat under new ownership and flag?

MMSI and call signs , ie proper ITU registered ones cannot and do not follow the owner they follow the boat as they are issued to the boat not the owner.

An MMSI and call sign can only be extinguished where an alternative call sign from another issuing agency is so issued and that new issuing agency will update the ITU database accordingly
Old 10-03-2022, 05:47   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
MMSI and call signs , ie proper ITU registered ones cannot and do not follow the owner they follow the boat as they are issued to the boat not the owner.

An MMSI and call sign can only be extinguished where an alternative call sign from another issuing agency is so issued and that new issuing agency will update the ITU database accordingly
Yes, but...(here in the USA, not sure how it works in Europe)

The boat owner's name and the boat name are associated with and linked to the MMSI #. The boat owner in effect owns and controls the MMSI# that is linked to his boat.

So after a boat sells, the new owner has 3 MMSI choices:
1. Apply for a brand new MMSI# and either buy all new MMSI-associated electronics, or send all his MMSI-associated electronics back to the factory for reprogramming (or have a factory tech come to his boat and do the reprogramming there); OR...

2. Go through a multi-step MMSI# "transfer" process that allows him to keep the same MMSI# as the former owner, but update the information associated with that MMSI# to show the new owner's name and the new boat name. The FCC recently told me that this process can be lengthy and requires a very cooperative seller; OR...

3. Go through a 2-step MMSI# cancellation process, where the owner cancels his "control" of his MMSI#. This makes his specific MMSI# available for the new owner to apply for. The FCC will assign "control" of that new MMSI# to the new owner, thereby allowing him to keep all the boat's electronics as-is without having to reprogram them, and he can also update his boat's name.

I recently went through this process for a boat I just bought. The former owner filed his "cancellation" with the FCC online on a Tuesday. I applied for his old MMSI# on Wednesday. The FCC issued a new ship's station license in my name, showing my new boat's name, and showing the same MMSI# as was on the former owner's license, by Thursday.

The whole idea is that when an MMSI# appears on AIS or in a distress call, the authorities know the current boat owner's name and the current boat name, not the former.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 13:51   #9

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailig_Irma View Post
she used to sail under a Finnish flag and we have now bought and registered her in Germany. It's only for pleasure sailing, but what do we need to update radio communication / call sign wise?
I've just done this last year for my boat.

You need to apply for a "Ship Station License" with the Bundesnetzagentur:

click this link

Apply for a call sign (Rufzeichen) and MMSI (if you have DSC or AIS).
Cost: EUR 51 once + ca EUR 12/a.

Once you have the MMSI, reprogram your radio with that MMSI. This might require you to send it to a dealer or the manufacturer. Check the manual.

You might also need a radio operator permit to use the radio; I'm not sure what the regulation is for German waters as I'm out of country.

Hope that helps
Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:19   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
Yes, but...(here in the USA, not sure how it works in Europe)

The boat owner's name and the boat name are associated with and linked to the MMSI #. The boat owner in effect owns and controls the MMSI# that is linked to his boat.

So after a boat sells, the new owner has 3 MMSI choices:

1. Apply for a brand new MMSI# and either buy all new MMSI-associated electronics, or send all his MMSI-associated electronics back to the factory for reprogramming (or have a factory tech come to his boat and do the reprogramming there); OR...

2. Go through a multi-step MMSI# "transfer" process that allows him to keep the same MMSI# as the former owner, but update the information associated with that MMSI# to show the new owner's name and the new boat name. The FCC recently told me that this process can be lengthy and requires a very cooperative seller; OR...

3. Go through a 2-step MMSI# cancellation process, where the owner cancels his "control" of his MMSI#. This makes his specific MMSI# available for the new owner to apply for. The FCC will assign "control" of that new MMSI# to the new owner, thereby allowing him to keep all the boat's electronics as-is without having to reprogram them, and he can also update his boat's name.

I recently went through this process for a boat I just bought. The former owner filed his "cancellation" with the FCC online on a Tuesday. I applied for his old MMSI# on Wednesday. The FCC issued a new ship's station license in my name, showing my new boat's name, and showing the same MMSI# as was on the former owner's license, by Thursday.

The whole idea is that when an MMSI# appears on AIS or in a distress call, the authorities know the current boat owner's name and the current boat name, not the former.

Bob

In Europe unless changing national boundaries you do not “ bring “ your call sign and MMSI with you. They remain with the boat and you simply submit a change of ownership details

This is to the MMSI remains connected to the same vessel.

The only time you change MMSI is if you re register under a different flag

Tags
boat, marine, ownership, radio, raymarine