Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2023, 01:55   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 55.1
Remote access to weather conditions on boat

Iīve been working on solution to a problem I couldnīt find solved anywhere else so thought Iīd share.

For some time I wanted to know what wind speed and direction was at my boat when I wasnīt on board - for example when deciding whether to head to the marina for a day of sailing, checking if observed conditions were as forecasted, knowing if wind has picked up on anchor when Iīm on shore in protected area, etc

I have a 16m sailboat with full B&G Zeus system, so the best monitoring equipment was already on the boat and I didnīt want to start adding new weather sensors that would never be as effective as those I have already at the top of the mast. But I needed to access that data over an internet connection when not at the boat.

Here is what I had already set up:

1. Teltonika RUTX50 4/5G wireless router - this is permanently connected with dual sim and auto switching based on roaming location, providing on board wifi, and allowing remote communication with the boat

2. Victron Cerbo GX - Already set up to monitor fuel & water tanks, battery levels, various temperatures, bilge, etc. All viewable over the internet through a boat dashboard page built inside Victron VRM, and also small Victron Touch display mounted in saloon

3. VE.Can to NMEA2000 adapter - allows any of the data capture from above in #2 to be presented on my ZEUS3 plotters, but also collects any data on the NMEA system and presents it back to the Cerbo GX

This system has been running for a while, the missing link was to activate Signal K on the Cerbo, and then set up saillogger to leverage the data.

Saillogger does many great things, now payable by a small $5 a month subscription, but I mostly use just the logging which creates an automated log of every time I move the boat, and solving my weather problem.

By accessing the data in the Cerbo, I can now see the following info remotely through a web page - most importantly the wind speed and direction I wanted. This is all done realtime though the 4G connection > Cerbo > Signal K > Saillogger.

In order to work on my boat, this of course needs the Navigation system powered up, but I donīt want to leave my full B&G system running all the time just to access this data, so I then fitted a small relay across my Navigation circuit breaker, and remotely switch on and off the Navigation system when I want to remotely check in on the weather ( this is only for NMEA sourced data, everything else is always available as the Cerbo, Router, tank sensors etc are permanently powered). The relay is controlled by the I/O port on the Teltonika router, and I simply send a custom SMS ( NavOn & NavOff ) to the router SIM whenever I need it. I could also use the I/O on the Cerbo but it was just nearer to the circuit breakers.

Also, my B&G was configured so that when Navigation circuit breaker is powered up, all Zeus Chart Plotters power on too - I didnīt want this for remote monitoring, just access to the NMEA data, so I stopped them auto powering up by disconnecting the yellow signal cable from 12v Positive. Now when Navigation is powered up, I still need to press on / off on the chart plotters.

Iīve still a lot more I can do with this, but even with the subscription fee I think saillogger is a great solution to both an automated log book, but also my niche requirement.

Here is a screenshot of the view I get from the saillogger monitoring page, when I want to check in on the weather conditions ( and any other data I have available )

Happy to help with any questions, I think so much more to be done with this configuration

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	282287  
Saintgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2023, 05:48   #2

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Remote access to weather conditions on boat

Excellent story about all the parts and thoughts required to leverage more functionality out of an existing system! It would be staggeringly expensive to go from zero to that, but it was relatively simple for you to go from what you have to what you needed.
One thought. Your remote relay that turns on your nav sounds like it is in parallel with your circuit breaker. This would mean that when powered up, that circuit is completely unprotected. At the very least, I would include an inline fuse with that relay. Any sort of a downstream short is currently unprotected.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2023, 06:08   #3

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I absolutely agree that the benefit wouldnīt justify the cost if built just for this but youīre right with the system already running the only additional cost was a Ģ5 relay. Total cost of the other parts is probably around Ģ600 (excluding Teltonika router which I needed for many other reasons anyway) so still not a huge amount considering the potential of whatīs possible. The Cerbo, SignalK, NMEA setup is such a simple but powerful system and this is just a first attempt at leveraging access to all the NMEA and Cerbo data remotely, Iīm sure much more can still be taken from this. And great point on the breaker but its my mistake, the relay is actually across the panel switch, I was wrong to say the circuit breaker.. that is still inline in the existing system.
Old 19-10-2023, 06:23   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

If you have AIS installed,leave it running at all times. You then go to MarineTraffic.com,look up your boat(or any other equipped vessel) & check VESSEL DETAILS

example; .https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...:GRAND_MANAN_V
Old 20-10-2023, 11:49   #5

Boat: Ericson 27

That’s exactly what I’m doing on my boat, though without the pretty bits. After our electrical refit 18 months ago, we’re all victron on the boat. Added an LTE router, and connected to my n2k network.

Now I just leave my instruments on, including AIS, and log in to signal-K when I’m curious.

But also, remote monitoring of the tankage and electrical system is great too.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 12:01   #6

Vesper coretex, Raymarine itc5 on, n2k powered as well (displays off), vesper fee of $20/mo does this and more (best anchor watch).

Not cheap.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 12:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
vesper fee of $20/mo does this and more (best anchor watch).

Not cheap.
This part has been perhaps the biggest impediment for me. I have a network, with all the data. I have a Wi-Fi device on the network, so it's all floating around down there. But my internet when I am on the boat is my cell phone hotspot. Paying for 365 days a year of data service just doesn't make sense for me.
Of course, the fact that I can look at my boat while eating breakfast has an impact on that calculus! Lol
Old 20-10-2023, 17:01   #8

I wish vrm could just show nmea 2000 data on the victron website site. the battery, AC power, and temp monitoring is great.

no idea what signal k is, or how you are getting nmea data to the internet via cerbo..
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 19:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintgeorge View Post
Iīve been working on solution to a problem I couldnīt find solved anywhere else so thought Iīd share.

For some time I wanted to know what wind speed and direction was at my boat when I wasnīt on board - for example when deciding whether to head to the marina for a day of sailing, checking if observed conditions were as forecasted, knowing if wind has picked up on anchor when Iīm on shore in protected area, etc

I have a 16m sailboat with full B&G Zeus system, so the best monitoring equipment was already on the boat and I didnīt want to start adding new weather sensors that would never be as effective as those I have already at the top of the mast. But I needed to access that data over an internet connection when not at the boat.

Here is what I had already set up:

1. Teltonika RUTX50 4/5G wireless router - this is permanently connected with dual sim and auto switching based on roaming location, providing on board wifi, and allowing remote communication with the boat

2. Victron Cerbo GX - Already set up to monitor fuel & water tanks, battery levels, various temperatures, bilge, etc. All viewable over the internet through a boat dashboard page built inside Victron VRM, and also small Victron Touch display mounted in saloon

3. VE.Can to NMEA2000 adapter - allows any of the data capture from above in #2 to be presented on my ZEUS3 plotters, but also collects any data on the NMEA system and presents it back to the Cerbo GX

This system has been running for a while, the missing link was to activate Signal K on the Cerbo, and then set up Saillogger to leverage the data.

Saillogger does many great things, now payable by a small $5 a month subscription, but I mostly use just the logging which creates an automated log of every time I move the boat, and solving my weather problem.

By accessing the data in the Cerbo, I can now see the following info remotely through a web page - most importantly the wind speed and direction I wanted. This is all done realtime though the 4G connection > Cerbo > Signal K > Saillogger.

In order to work on my boat, this of course needs the Navigation system powered up, but I donīt want to leave my full B&G system running all the time just to access this data, so I then fitted a small relay across my Navigation circuit breaker, and remotely switch on and off the Navigation system when I want to remotely check in on the weather ( this is only for NMEA sourced data, everything else is always available as the Cerbo, Router, tank sensors etc are permanently powered). The relay is controlled by the I/O port on the Teltonika router, and I simply send a custom SMS ( NavOn & NavOff ) to the router SIM whenever I need it. I could also use the I/O on the Cerbo but it was just nearer to the circuit breakers.

Also, my B&G was configured so that when Navigation circuit breaker is powered up, all Zeus Chart Plotters power on too - I didnīt want this for remote monitoring, just access to the NMEA data, so I stopped them auto powering up by disconnecting the yellow signal cable from 12v Positive. Now when Navigation is powered up, I still need to press on / off on the chart plotters.

Iīve still a lot more I can do with this, but even with the subscription fee I think Saillogger is a great solution to both an automated log book, but also my niche requirement.

Here is a screenshot of the view I get from the saillogger monitoring page, when I want to check in on the weather conditions ( and any other data I have available )

Happy to help with any questions, I think so much more to be done with this configuration

Mark
You do know that if you post a link that gives you a referral commission in the USA you are required by FTC rules to disclose that CLEARLY in the posting? That is exactly what is happening here. You are getting a kickback on the fees paid, and not disclosing that fact.

I do not know if this FORUM has rules about that, but the LAW is clear...
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 20:02   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

See if sailflow has weather stations where you sail. The advantage is that the weather stations are out where you sail, not in a marina or harbor.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2023, 10:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
You do know that if you post a link that gives you a referral commission in the USA you are required by FTC rules to disclose that CLEARLY in the posting? That is exactly what is happening here. You are getting a kickback on the fees paid, and not disclosing that fact.

I do not know if this FORUM has rules about that, but the LAW is clear...
You may be factually correct. And it is possible that this posting was in fact financially motivated. But with a kickback on the order of $30 per customer in the first year and $15 per customer in subsequent years, I'm inclined to think his motivation was sharing his story, and the financial implications were at best a tangent. We would like to think that CF is a huge platform with large numbers of followers, but I would be surprised if his posting resulted in a dozen subscriptions.
Still, full disclosure (if he was even aware) would have been appropriate.
Old 23-10-2023, 10:55   #12

Thanks for the feedback, and follow up. Yes it certainly wasn’t my motive for sharing the story. The links go to a deactivated partner account so no kickback will be given but I deleted them anyway from the original post. Thanks again
Old 23-10-2023, 10:59   #13

Thanks, Yes I agree that would be a great solution as the data is already there. I don’t know if that page could be edited as I’m not a programmer in any way but could do a lot more with it if we could.

Happy to share some more info on how I got signal k working without programming if you would like
Old 31-10-2023, 17:54   #14

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
This part has been perhaps the biggest impediment for me. I have a network, with all the data. I have a Wi-Fi device on the network, so it's all floating around down there. But my internet when I am on the boat is my cell phone hotspot. Paying for 365 days a year of data service just doesn't make sense for me.
Of course, the fact that I can look at my boat while eating breakfast has an impact on that calculus! Lol
Our Cortex is crashing hard after a few days. The time to crash varies widely, but it requires a power reset. I've filed a support request with Garmin and will hopefully get a response one day. I'm about to put a shelly on the power line so I can reset it remotely.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:16   #15
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

(Disclaimer: Developer of Saillogger here but this post has nothing to do with it)

Victron Cerbo GX is indeed a great platform and can be used to do a lot. I had written an article about it "Victron Cerbo GX on Steroids".

If you have one, getting Signal K on it is pretty easy and then you can turn it into a MarineTraffic station to get an upgraded subscription (subject to their terms of conditions), a local wireless NMEA data source for phone and tablet navigation software, an anchor alarm and much more.

If you are into weather monitoring, there is also an option of turning your boat into a Windy weather station. We benefit a lot from that, observing weather reported by boats that are close to our destination.

Signal K is super powerful and Victron did a great job in turning their GX series into a platform that enables many possibilities.

Tags
boat, Cerbo GX, nmea 2000, remote, Saillogger, Signal K, Teltonika, Victron, weather