Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 07:22   #16

Boat: Hylas 54
Re: Remote Raymarine Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
We have the S100 with a wheel pilot. However, I think the control head is newer than the ST4000. It is using Seatalk, but I don't know how it accesses the Seatalk network since it came with the boat when we bought it.

If it turns out that you can connect it, go for it. It is great leaning back against the mast looking up at the genoa while driving.
Can I ask what type of range you get with the S100 wireless? I read somewhere that the range is 30'. I need it to be longer than that to use on my sailboat. I have 54' center cockpit, the nav station is easily more than 30' from the bow and there's plenty of wood and "boat" to interfere with the signal.

Thanks
Old 25-01-2015, 07:31   #17

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I'd be concerned with the distance and wood that is in the way. I go to 20 feet and sometimes have to hit the control a couple of times to get a response. I have a cc also so the distance is not the entire boat in my case.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 07:55   #18

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I have a 2006 vintage Smart Pilot Wireless Remote that I operate with a same vintage S3 course computer on my 42' ketch. This vintage wireless remote uses a tranducer to communicate with the course computer via the SeaTalk network. I installed the transducer on a bulkhead in the aft cabin. I normally use the remote while on the foredeck when entering or leaving an anchorage or dock so I can prepare docklines and/or ground tackle and still steer the boat.
On the foredeck I am 35' feet from the transducer and have never had a problem with reception between the tranducer and the remote. That signal needs to pass through several bulkheads and the deck. The only problem I have encountered is when I mounted the remote on the mizzen mast in the cockpit, about 6' from the transducer. It appears the metal in the mast can interfere with signal, and I would occasionally get a "No Pilot" message on the remote.
So my remote has a range greater than 30' and it seems to have no trouble passing through bulkheads and decks. For your specific installation needs and for whatever vintage AP you have you probably need to consult with Raymarine.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:26   #19

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesscapade View Post
Can I ask what type of range you get with the S100 wireless? I read somewhere that the range is 30'. I need it to be longer than that to use on my sailboat. I have 54' center cockpit, the nav station is easily more than 30' from the bow and there's plenty of wood and "boat" to interfere with the signal.

Thanks
It looks like you've gotten a range of answers already. It seems like, as is often the case, it depends. We get about 30' on average. Our control head is on the starboard side of the cockpit aft. Going forward on that side, I get pretty reliable signal to forward of the mast. If I go forward to port I'm more likely to have the signal dropped. That may be because of the mast or the cabin intervening. I'm quite likely to have the signal dropped if I go all the way to the bow which is probably about 35'.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine, remote