Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 23:44   #1

Replacement for Ray C90W?

The stalwart Raymarine C90W has dies due to the rotted selector switch problem and I am told that parts to repair this well known fault are simply not available - unless I ship to to the UK and they will repair for 22,000 THB (about 670 USD) which begs the question why will Ray not sell the parts to their Dealer in Phuket?

My mind boggles at the choices for a replacement, but I would like to integrate the existing Ray digital radar, and Simrad pilot. The old Ray ST wind instrument will have to stand alone for now at least.
The pilot integration with NEMA 2000 should be comparable but I am not so sure about inter-brand compatibility with radar. Cost might dictate another Ray head unit rather than a complete new head + radar combo

I see touch screens are the rage, but I am not sure how I would like it when wet, and/or bouncing about?
Ray seems to have a hybrid touch/button version in the lower case c and e series, but the new Axiom seems touch only?
Is the B&G Vulcan or Zeus touch only?

The old Ray lived in a Navpod and it would be nice to recycle this pod rather than spend another 500.00 USD. I am not opposed to making a SS filler plate if the new unit is a little smaller, or if going Ray, using their adaptor bezel

B&G Zeus seems to have nice sailing functions, that I have lived without to date but if it means buying a new radar, that cost will factor into the big picture

Confusion reigns...................
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 00:36   #2

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48
Re: Replacement for Ray C90W?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
My mind boggles at the choices for a replacement, but I would like to integrate the existing Ray digital radar, and Simrad pilot. The old Ray ST wind instrument will have to stand alone for now at least.
The pilot integration with NEMA 2000 should be comparable but I am not so sure about inter-brand compatibility with radar. Cost might dictate another Ray head unit rather than a complete new head + radar combo
I'm also pondering a similar upgrade.

If you already have a digital Ramarine radar, I'd guess a newer Raymarine MFD is the obvious choice....

I'm told overall quality has improved after the company was bought out around 2010.

Some of the confusion is perhaps due to the way Ray have named the various generations of their kit... As the case of letters matters a lot.

As I understand it, after C..W and E..W came the lowercase c and e models.
Next, a few years later, came eS and gS and the like ..
Then finally Axiom.

It needs double-checking, but I think all of these are compatible with any digital Raymarine radar dome.

All of the lowercase models are also supposed to soon get access to the same software as Axiom ... That is, Lighthouse 3.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 00:48   #3

I have had enough of Ray planned obsolescence marketing and if forced to go with Ray due to my reluctance to buy a new radar, then it will be a model with buttons in addition to touch screen.
Or I need to be sold that touch works when wet, with gloves, or when bouncing about - the bouncing bit is difficult to imagine working with a touch screen when buttons are difficult enough.

I understand the es has both touch and buttons, and the c is touch only???
I fail to understand why Axiom is touch only.

I am in Subic and the Dealer in Manila while very keen to sell me a new unit, is a bit circumspect with the technical details. Or maybe just a language issue
Old 02-11-2017, 04:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:

Or I need to be sold that touch works when wet, with gloves, or when bouncing about

It has not worked in my experience. You want buttons and a knob!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:31   #5

Boat: Outbound 46

I had the same problem on both a C90W and a C120W. I got so disgusted at Raymarine's unwillingness to sell me parts that I ripped out both chartplotters and the radome, and replaced it all with Garmin. No way was I going to spend any more money on Raymarine equipment.

We've had the Garmin gear for a year. It takes some getting used to, but so far I've been very happy with the system. I think the radar is definitely a step up in user-friendliness compared to Ray marine. We're mostly NMEA 2000 now, and that's also an improvement.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 14:14   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Axiom is touch, Axiom Pro is touch plus knob/buttons. I'm also pondering an upgrade from E80/E120...
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 14:32   #7

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I replaced my C90W a couple of years ago with a Raymarine es98.
I like the plotter. It doesn't have buttons (that's what died on my C90W), it does have a touch screen and I have found no problem with it working when wet. It does have a knob with a button in the center that you can use to control the display without using the touch screen.
The biggest downside that I have found with it is that it doesn't have an output for the alarms and the tiny little beep sound that it makes is nearly impossible to hear over the wind or engine noise.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 02-11-2017, 19:58   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
The stalwart Raymarine C90W has dies due to the rotted selector switch problem and I am told that parts to repair this well known fault are simply not available - unless I ship to to the UK and they will repair for 22,000 THB (about 670 USD) which begs the question why will Ray not sell the parts to their Dealer in Phuket?

I see touch screens are the rage, but I am not sure how I would like it when wet, and/or bouncing about?
Ray seems to have a hybrid touch/button version in the lower case c and e series, but the new Axiom seems touch only?
Is the B&G Vulcan or Zeus touch only?

The old Ray lived in a Navpod and it would be nice to recycle this pod rather than spend another 500.00 USD. I am not opposed to making a SS filler plate if the new unit is a little smaller, or if going Ray, using their adaptor bezel

B&G Zeus seems to have nice sailing functions, that I have lived without to date but if it means buying a new radar, that cost will factor into the big picture

If you are talking about the rotary control in the bottom right corner (where the membrane behind it cracks), those parts are available. I recently purchased two of them for around AUD75 each (ridiculous price, but that's the way it is). I have yet to fit one, (boat not here) but am advised it is quite simple - a few minutes. I am sure the dealer who supplied me, can post you over a replacement also if you are interested.

Hope that helps,

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:31   #9

I bought a replacement rotary control last year. Took about 2 minutes to replace it and cost less than $40 from memory. Think i found the source on Ebay
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:39   #10

I actually bought the new track pad from "Outback Marine" here in OZ. Cost $55 Prob have to contact them as it does not appear in a search.

http://www.outbackmarine.com.au/

Good luck. The C90w is a good bit of gear other than that fault. Also has an external alarm which is essential.

Andrew
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 16:15   #11

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elandra65 View Post
I actually bought the new track pad from "Outback Marine" here in OZ. Cost $55 Prob have to contact them as it does not appear in a search.

Marine, mobile and off grid equipment - lithium batteries, electrical, electronics, refrigeration

Good luck. The C90w is a good bit of gear other than that fault. Also has an external alarm which is essential.

Andrew
Thanks for the tip Andrew. That price is better than what I paid.
Regarding the external alarm output, how do you access that? Is it a volts-free relay contact, or an actual alarm signal output?
Thanks again,
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 18:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elandra65 View Post

Marine, mobile and off grid equipment - lithium batteries, electrical, electronics, refrigeration

Andrew
Outback advises today that this is no longer available...........
Old 22-03-2019, 16:12   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Lightbulb Replacement for rotary controller available now

Just thought I'd add that there is now a replacement rotary dial part available for the Raymarine Wide Series e90w e120w e140w c90w c120 and c140w models from i3DGear. The new part is 3D printed using a much stronger flexible diaphragm than the original Raymarine silicone diaphragm. It is 3D printed as one piece, so the flexible diaphragm is totally bonded to the dial body. It's available at the i3DGear website. As this is 3D printed, there is now an infinite supply of these available to keep these great Raymarine multi function displays running!

Cheers,
Rick
Waveform is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men