Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 11:11   #1

Replacing existing masthead wind meter (wiring question)

Hello -

Apologies if this is a dumb question - just trying to get some guidance.

I have an existing WS45 standard horizon masthead unit and head unit in the cockpit of my Hunter 33.5. I believe the head unit has failed (I did some preliminary testing and will do some bench testing later to confirm). Based on some forum chatter I've read, the WS45 standard horizon head unit is very difficult to find at this point.

I am looking at multiple options for replacing the wind meter including going out and buying a Raymarine masthead and head unit to replace the existing.

My issue is this: I can't figure out how to access the transducer wiring and I am wondering if it's possible to reuse the existing wiring (assuming I did some continuity testing and was confident that what's there was adequate).

The setup is thus: masthead unit has a 5-wire bundle that runs down the mast and connects at the mast step. From there, it goes to a junction box which then runs to the front of the cockpit (either behind the headliner or through some channel I can't see).

My plan is: replace the masthead unit and run the Raymarine wire bundle through the mast. Connect the Raymarine 5-wire set to the connector at the mast step, then use the existing wiring from the mast step through the junction box to the cockpit. There I'd adapt the 5-pin connector for the Standard Horizon head unit to work with the Raymarine.

Can anyone validate this approach? Any gotcha's I should be aware of?

If this seems dicey, my alternative is to look at just installing the TackTick system (or honestly just going without, I think I can get by in my local sailing grounds with just a masthead fly).

Thanks in advance for any help!
bdeakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 12:49   #2

Boat: Colvic Watson
Re: Replacing existing masthead wind meter (wiring question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeakin View Post
Hello -

Apologies if this is a dumb question - just trying to get some guidance.

My plan is: replace the masthead unit and run the Raymarine wire bundle through the mast. Connect the Raymarine 5-wire set to the connector at the mast step, then use the existing wiring from the mast step through the junction box to the cockpit. There I'd adapt the 5-pin connector for the Standard Horizon head unit to work with the Raymarine.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi

Over here in the UK's East coast North sea it's not always user friendly and I got fed up of having to get to the mast head by various means to do various repairs or replacements.

I did some test as I have a motorsailer and as it is no racing yacht I decided to fit my wind indicator on a 5' high mast mounted from the pushpit rail.

The end of my main sail boom is 5' away and depending on the wind force and direction I only occationaly do get maybe a miss reading of about 2mph.

After monitoring the system over three years now I am not interested in the 'exact' wind speed and happy if it's within the nearest 2mph and the direction of the wind has always been spot on compared to my fixed basic wind direction indicator on the masthead, now if when I need to get at the wind indicator I can now reach and change parts and get at electrical wiring in 15 minutes!

Maybe food for thought
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0044a.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	76627   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP 2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	76628  

Click image for larger version

Name:	-12 Deg C Jan 2010.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	76629  

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 05:58   #3

Boat: beneteau OC 352
Re: Replacing existing masthead wind meter (wiring question)

i just replaced my wind transducer.. the easiest way is to unstep the mast and work on it on the ground.. however whether its on te ground or not i would employ the same method.. use the existing "ducer" wire to pull the new wire through.. climb up to the top of the mast , cut the existing "ducer" off and tie the the new "ducer" wire to the old and then use electrical tape to tape around both wires to keep the wires from untwisting.. have someone on the deck pull to new wire through while you are feeding it into the top of the mast..

or go buy the raymarine wireless unit
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast, wind, wiring