Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 08:21   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Replacing my Bullet M2 to bring Wi-Fi in the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
The bottom line is that the new Ubiquiti line of "ac" mode client devices are no good for cruisers. If they want to use Ubiquiti Bullets or NanoStations they should stick to Bullet M2's or NanoStation M2's. We agree that if they want a dual band client device then the Mikrotik Groove 52HPn or Groove 52ac series is the best choice.
Bob, can you explain the differences between these two Groove models? Which one is most suited for cruisers?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:32   #17

Referring to the OP's reported issue - that sounds like the Bullet loses or forgets its current settings whenever power is removed.

I found this thread on flash memory failures, (google had a few hits for this) and one of the possible solutions is to flash the unit with latest firmware. The thread also has some other suggestions for debugging. Might be worth trying some of this before buying something else.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:50   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Bob, can you explain the differences between these two Groove models? Which one is most suited for cruisers?
The big difference is that the Groove 52HPn is an a/b/g/n device and the Groove 52ac adds the "ac" mode. Other differences are that the Groove 52ac has a gigabit ethernet port and uses a 720 MHz cpu vs. the 600 MHz cpu in the 52HPn.

As for what is best for a cruise, the Groove 52ac provides maximum compatibility with all AP's because of the ac mode but I'm not sure this a reason for a cruiser to choose it. I think that most professionally setup public Wifi systems are using only 20Mhz band width since this allows for the maximum number of channels available. If you happen to be anchored off a waterfront cafe that has a router behind the bar that is set to "ac" only mode then the Groove 52HPn won't connect.

Mikrotik markets both Grooves with 2 license levels. One is a CPE (level 3) only and the other is AP/CPE (level 4). A cruiser only needs a level 3 license since he will only use the radio as a CPE or station. Going from a Level 3 to a Level 4 license adds about $20-30 to the cost.

All level 4 license Grooves include a dual band antenna. All level 4 Grooves come set as AP Bridges as the factory default setting. This means that to be used as a CPE they must be re-configured. This can be a non-trivial job for a new user.

With a level 3 license you will need to provide your own antenna but by default the Groove comes configured as a CPE and you can start using it out of the box.

A level 4 Groove will have the letter A after the word Groove; GA in the case of an "ac". The letter G signifying the gigabit ethernet.

Just to add confusion for the purchaser in the US the FCC requires Mikrotik to sell a version of the Groove that is locked to US legal frequencies. Most US dealers will not ship an International version to a US address. Also it appears that Mikrotik has elected to not sell anymore level 3 Groove 52ac's in the US market. You can still get Groove 52HPn's with the level 3 license.

Anyone planning on using a Groove onboard, especially a level 4 Groove, should consider having a computer with an ethernet port available, a spare short ethernet cable and the Mikrotik utility program called Winbox.exe. Winbox is available on the Mikrotik software page in the PC version. If you only use apple then you can google "Winbox for Mac" to get an Apple version that is wrapped in Wine.

As Lake-effect and a previous poster suggested, reinstalling or upgrading the firmware on a bullet that is acting strangely can fix some things. I like to use the TFTP firmware recovery method (google "ubiquiti firmware recovery). It seems to fix things that just loading firmware from the System tab can't.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:24   #19

With 120° coverage area LiteAP looks good and reasonably priced https://www.ui.com/airmax/liteap-ac
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:14   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username25 View Post
With 120° coverage area LiteAP looks good and reasonably priced https://www.ui.com/airmax/liteap-ac
Looks good for a WISP. What will it do for a cruiser?
Old 06-07-2019, 13:25   #21

Quote:
Looks good for a WISP. What will it do for a cruiser?
Hmmm I was looking to replace Nanastation M2, but you claim "it won't connect to any access point that isn't another Ubiquiti ac device set as an AP".

MIKROTIK GROOVE A 52 AC (RBGrooveGA-52HPacn) looks interesting, but it comes only with 6dBi omni antenna (2.4GHz/5GHz) https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGrooveGA-52HPacn

Any more powerful 2.4GHz/5GHz omni antennas?
Old 06-07-2019, 13:56   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I replaced my corroded Ubiuiti Bullet with a "Bad Boy" from Bitstorm. It is based on the Ubiquiti hardware but all in all I find it easier to work with than the original and it has survived all kinds of weather (including Hurricane Irma which took out the mast but the Bad Boy attached to the stay survived with nary a scratch).
Old 06-07-2019, 14:40   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think it can even be set as a CPE (station). Keep your Nanostation M2. If you want 5 ghz buy a NanoStation M5.

This antenna from L-com 2.4/5.8 GHz 7/8 dBi Dual Band Omni Antenna - N-Female Connector - HGV-2458-07U would work.

I doubt you need more than 6dbi on 2.4ghz unless you have a special situation in mind. What is the output power you normally use on your Nano M2?
Old 06-07-2019, 14:54   #24

Quote:
I don't think it can even be set as a CPE (station). Keep your Nanostation M2. If you want 5 ghz buy a NanoStation M5.

This antenna from L-com 2.4/5.8 GHz 7/8 dBi Dual Band Omni Antenna - N-Female Connector - HGV-2458-07U would work.

I doubt you need more than 6dbi on 2.4ghz unless you have a special situation in mind. What is the output power you normally use on your Nano M2?
TX Power: 28 dBm. Now we are connected to SSID at 0.4 miles (0.6 km) distance and signal strength is just -83 dBm with terrible transmit CCQ: 41%. Nano M2 antenna is 11 dBi, I doubt 6dBi would connect at all...
Old 24-05-2021, 13:09   #25

With the new GrooveGA-52HPacn that is being delivered to replace the old GrooveA-52HPac, does anyone else see that the QuickSet panel on this new device cannot be changed from "Ethernet" and the value of "CPE" cannot be selected any longer? I need to return mine this week if it is defective. Thanks in advance!
DonJuane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat