Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 02:54   #1

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean
Replacing Raymarine ST90 wind vane/cups and install masthead tricolour nav lights

Hello CF, I am sourcing a new vane and cups for the masthead instrument. Question 1: Has anyone had experience of replacing these? The unit is Raymarine ST90, I think the replacement part is Raymarine E28081, just the vane and cups seem to cost anywhere from AUD30-100. The boat is in Turkey, I am in Australia so intending to source before I leave. I am trying to remember if I also need the arm. Apparently they come in 2 sizes, normal 12" and extended 24". Last time I was on the boat (November last year) I recall noticing the vane and cups were missing (thanks to the local birdlife I assume) however I can't recall whether the arm was still in place? So my Question 2: Has anyone had to replace the arm as well and how likely is it to have broken (damm I should have taken a photo with the zoom camera, where is bloody drone when you need one, now theres an idea an online platform that connects people with drones to people like me that would like one to fly past something and take some pictures - uberDrone)
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:13   #2

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Re: Replacing Raymarine ST90 wind vane/cups and install masthead tricolour nav lights

While I am up there installing the vane/cups, I intend to install a masthead LED tricolour, apparently there are some new design ones of these that can operate off the existing masthead light circuit. So my Question: does the followiong is logic sound ok, use the deck level nav lights for around ports and when there is background "light noise", use the masthead nav lights when out in the ocean where the extra 19m of height should mean you are seen from further away? Masthead tricolours are hard to see in port with city lights in the background
Old 07-08-2017, 06:54   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Replacing Raymarine ST90 wind vane/cups and install masthead tricolour nav lights

I don't think you can change just the cups while up the mast. The cup part is held on with little tiny roll pins. You would need to have the whole unit on a work bench. Probably need to buy the whole thing with the little mast.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:06   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I did this two years ago and just replaced the whole unit. As Guy said, doing anything else while up the mast is not a good idea. If you have the mast pulled for some other reason then maybe but otherwise just buy the whole thing. I would imagine yours is a short arm (I have a 40 ft boat with a normal configuration at the masthead so yours is likely to be much the same). I remember it cost me around $300 US at the time from Defender but you might find it cheaper. I needed to buy it from somebody who could reliably overnight it to me where I was so I didnt look around too much. If pieces of yours broke off you might have to buy the whole thing anyway.

AS for masthead/deck lights, there are rules about that here in the US on inland waters so I will let somebody who knows Aus tell you about that. Whatever they say though, definitely get them on separate circuits so you can control them independently. My boat's previous owner didnt do that and it was a pain until I fixed it.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:42   #5

Boat: KP 46

The ST90 is EASY to remove from your mast, it has a little wire clip that you push up, (it is captured so you will not lose it) then twist to unscrew the plug and pull the whole thing from the base, you can then take it down and easily replace the cups and vane. The cups and the vane are each attached with a small screw in the center of each. You could do it aloft, but chances of dropping one of the tiny screws is great.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:30   #6

Boat: Nauticat 32

I support the idea of taking the whole unit down because of the small screws. We had only one minor problem when changing the plastic parts (not necessary the same model that you have). The metal axel was round, but the new plastic part had a hole that was not fully round. We had to widen the hole in the plastic a bit to make it round.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:45   #7

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

The masthead wind sensor is made to be replaced as a unit. I suggest you keep the old unit if it is repairable. Get the replacement cups, etc and do the job at your leisure. I find I need to fix the masthead part about every five years.
I believe, according to the rules, that sailboats under 20 meters can use either a masthead tricolor or separate bow and stern lights, but not both at the same time. The masthead should also include an all around white for steaming or anchoring.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
The masthead wind sensor is made to be replaced as a unit..
It is 4 pieces, anyone of which is easily replaced
1. the mast and housing
2. the PC board in the housing
3. the vane
4. the cups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raym c.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	153603  
Old 07-08-2017, 13:18   #9

Boat: Hunter 30 G

that's one hell of a zoom lense!!
Old 07-08-2017, 13:35   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Masthead tricolor lights are wrong for your boat. Australia complies with COREGS requiring a 225 deg white steaming light at least a meter above your navigation lights when under power. Tricolor units are OK for sailboats under 7 meters.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 16:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Masthead tricolor lights are wrong for your boat. Australia complies with COREGS requiring a 225 deg white steaming light at least a meter above your navigation lights when under power. Tricolor units are OK for sailboats under 7 meters.
No, Vessels under 7 meters only need a handheld white light "which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

For a tri-light it is under 20 meters according to International Colregs.
RULE 25
Sailing Vessels Underway and Vessels Under Oars
(a) A sailing vessel underway shall exhibit:
(i) sidelights; and
(ii) a stern light.
(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20 meters in length the lights prescribed
in paragraph (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at or
near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.

Same with OZ:
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
MARINE ORDERS
Part 30
Prevention of collisions
Issue 8
Rule 25
Sailing vessels underway and vessels under oars
(a) A sailing vessel underway shall exhibit:
(i) sidelights;
(ii) a sternlight.
(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20 metres in length the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.

Vessels under POWER are required to show the 225 white, which distance above the sidelights varies by her length, minimum is 1 meter for vessels less than 12 meters, 2.5 meters above for lengths 12 meters but less than 20 meters, and 6 meters fir lengths 20 and above.

M
Old 07-08-2017, 17:51   #12

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

captmikem,
I agree all these parts can be replaced, but none except the entire unit do I want to mess with at the top of a 50+ mast, nor do I want to go up and down more than once per repair. So my choice is to keep a spare masthead unit. The last time I did this I had to replace the bearings in the wind vane which was not possible at the masthead.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 22:32   #13

Thanks for the wind instrument comments, I am now much better prepared for the task. I am purchasing the whole unit instead of vane/cups kit. That way I might end up with a spare. Wow I did not realise the cost of these instruments, around $540 for the R28170 Short Arm Wind Vane Transducer. I have started looking at the ultrasonic options, some good posts in CF re this, thought the "LCJ Capteurs CV7 Windyplug" might be a good option best to buy that over in Europe by the looks of it.
Old 07-08-2017, 23:09   #14

Thanks for comments re swapping over to a masthead LED tricolour with anchor light. Yeah there are a few folks around here in Oz with them on racing yachts under 20m. I have checked manufacturers: Optolamp (Brazil), Hella, Aqua Signal, Signal Mate. I like the ones with a photodiode, saves power if you forget to turn off the anchor light in the morning. The Hella NaviLED 2NM Trio Tri-Color w Anchor would be good, however I am leaning to the Optolamp because I can simply use the anchor light cable already in the mast.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:51   #15

Thunderhoff,
I understand your reluctance, it is not always easy to find someone (that you trust) to crank you aloft. A couple of years ago when I replaced my spinnaker halyard, I made it 30' longer than needed. Now I just take a turn on a winch at the base of the mast, lead it forward to a snatch block on a cleat a the bow and then around the capstan on my windlass. My wife just steps on the button and tails the halyard on the windlass. Takes about a minute and a half to get to the top of our 63' mast with little effort. Coincidentally I was up to the top twice last week, it is a non event anymore.

M

Tags
head, marine, mast, raymarine, wind, wind vane