Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 08:49   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Replacing Ship's Computer -- Atom vs Celeron?

I find that 10 is much better to 8.1 but it does take some getting used to. New editions take a lot of time to install/upgrade but each new edition has been better. I have the pro version so I don't know how much difference that makes. I think going back to 8.1 would be a mistake. IMHO of course.

PS: I find that OpenCPN is quite slow in loading new charts. When I zoom in and it loads a new chart there is a second or 2 delay, even with 16 gig. of ram.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:32   #62
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It's impossible to be objective about UX/UI issues, your muscle memory and neural pathways build up their familiarities, and all in/re-learning is uncomfortable.

I've always loved tinkering creating the "ideal" setup for myself using various Linux desktop/windows managers, but boy talk about rabbit-holes, infinite distractions there.

If you're trying to just Get Stuff Done, get your fingers used to the latest/current windoze, then skip to every second major release just before they stop official support, well after "service pack 3" stage of the "new" one.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:49   #63

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I wanted to say, I am using odroid c2

It's much faster and more powerful than raspberry pi, but using little power, e3-5 watts. Also much cheaper than atom.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 10:30   #64

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But the machine is slightly laggy in OpenCPN, which is a little disappointing. Could be 2g of RAM is too little. But it seems to be more or less usable
laggy in what way? Loading charts ? Panning, Zooming ?

Are you using Hardware accelerated graphics ?
Options->Display->Advanced->UseAcceleratedGraphics

If you are using raster charts you might get better performance by enabling texture compression caching.
Options->Display->Advanced->UseAcceleratedGraphics->Options->TextureCompressionWithCaching
This will convert your raster charts into a format that is easier to feed to OpenGL. It will take more disk space. Also unless you run the RebuildTextureCache, the first time you access each chart it will need to be converted making it initially slower, building the cache can take a long time if you have a lot of charts.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 12:56   #65

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I bought and installed an HP mini desk elite 800 on my boat.
Intel core i3 chip
16gb ram
256gb ssd hard drive

It's got 2x display ports and 1 vga
6 x USB 's
65w power supply

http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...esk800mini.pdf
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 22:31   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
laggy in what way? Loading charts ? Panning, Zooming ?

Are you using Hardware accelerated graphics ?
Options->Display->Advanced->UseAcceleratedGraphics

If you are using raster charts you might get better performance by enabling texture compression caching.
Options->Display->Advanced->UseAcceleratedGraphics->Options->TextureCompressionWithCaching
This will convert your raster charts into a format that is easier to feed to OpenGL. It will take more disk space. Also unless you run the RebuildTextureCache, the first time you access each chart it will need to be converted making it initially slower, building the cache can take a long time if you have a lot of charts.
Thank you; very useful! I guess I will have to choose OpenGL in OpenCPN as well as enabling hardware acceleration in the OS, right?

Today I am in the process of creating a hard wired power supply for the new box. When I finish with that, I will fiddle with the display settings and see if that helps.

I haven't tried it with raster charts yet -- was using CM93.

The lagginess I experienced was slight and probably won't be a big problem. I'm guessing it could be an issue with too little RAM. I didn't notice it when panning, but rather when zooming and using menus.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 22:34   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I wanted to say, I am using odroid c2

It's much faster and more powerful than raspberry pi, but using little power, e3-5 watts. Also much cheaper than atom.
With Linux, right? As an old Unix guy who has never been entirely happy with any other OS, this appeals a lot. But I keep holding myself back because I just don't have time to spend all that time playing with the computer. Although maybe a dedicated OpenCPN machine wouldn't require such a complex setup . . .
Old 22-07-2017, 22:37   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
It's impossible to be objective about UX/UI issues, your muscle memory and neural pathways build up their familiarities, and all in/re-learning is uncomfortable.

I've always loved tinkering creating the "ideal" setup for myself using various Linux desktop/windows managers, but boy talk about rabbit-holes, infinite distractions there.

If you're trying to just Get Stuff Done, get your fingers used to the latest/current windoze, then skip to every second major release just before they stop official support, well after "service pack 3" stage of the "new" one.
Yes, that's always been my problem with Linux. "Infinite distractions" indeed!

I hold my nose and use Windows for exactly these reasons, plus I work for a living, and my company networks are all Microsoft. My IT guys would take a dim view of any playtime with Linux, although they are old Unix guys themselves.
Old 24-07-2017, 03:35   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've got this installed now. As usual, it takes hours to do something simple like rig up a power supply and run the wiring in a shipshape way.

The box is running happily on 13.6 volts from one of the stabilized droppers my boat came with (I've created a 13.6v bus so that I can add more such devices), and after enabling hardware graphics acceleration, the lagginess is gone. There is still some problem but it seems to come from the mini keyboard/trackpad. The graphics are really good and 4k movies run flawlessly.

One question -- how to enable the power on with power supply on? I've got the box behind furniture based on my belief that it's possible to set up these boxes to power up when power is supplied?

Or some other way to start the box remotely? The power switch will not be easily reachable.
Old 24-07-2017, 05:17   #70
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
One question -- how to enable the power on with power supply on? I've got the box behind furniture based on my belief that it's possible to set up these boxes to power up when power is supplied?
Check in BIOS if there is an option defining what to do after power is restored (usual options: stay off, switch on, go to a state from the time of power disappearance).

Still would like to have easy access to power button, if only for those times when hard reset is necessary.

And.. how are you going to do controlled shutdowns? Keyboard and mouse only?
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 05:24   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Check in BIOS if there is an option defining what to do after power is restored (usual options: stay off, switch on, go to a state from the time of power disappearance).

Still would like to have easy access to power button, if only for those times when hard reset is necessary.

And.. how are you going to do controlled shutdowns? Keyboard and mouse only?
Thanks!

Yes -- the Windows power control will do the shutdown, then I switch off the power -- I have a switch at the nav table.

I just need for it to power up when I turn the power back on.

Some digging also revealed possibility to do it with USB mouse -- that would also work.

And yes -- in case of need, the power button is not all that inaccessible -- just have to lift the back of a settee. Just don't want to do that every time I power up the box.
Old 24-07-2017, 07:43   #72
cruiser

Boat: magbeTVE
Send a message via ICQ to Safc Send a message via AIM to Safc Send a message via Yahoo to Safc Send a message via Skype™ to Safc

Dockhead,

Would you recommend this machine after all ??

I want to spend about max. 250 euro for a mini pc, if yours is really as good as you suggest, I'm ordering the same one ! Or would you go for a slightly upgraded model (say with min. 4 gig ram?)

Also, which screen are you using ?
Could you post some pictures of your setup ?

Also, looking for a water resistant, foldable keybord. Any suggestions ?

Brgds,
Safc
Safc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 07:57   #73

Quote:
I've got this installed now. As usual, it takes hours to do something simple like rig up a power supply and run the wiring in a shipshape way.

The box is running happily on 13.6 volts from one of the stabilized droppers my boat came with (I've created a 13.6v bus so that I can add more such devices), and after enabling hardware graphics acceleration, the lagginess is gone. There is still some problem but it seems to come from the mini keyboard/trackpad. The graphics are really good and 4k movies run flawlessly.

Or some other way to start the box remotely? The power switch will not be easily reachable.
My Minix box has a BIOS setting for power on: always off, always on, restore previous state.
Old 24-07-2017, 08:22   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safc View Post
Dockhead,

I want to spend about max. 250 euro for a mini pc, if yours is really as good as you suggest, I'm ordering the same one ! Or would you go for a slightly upgraded model (say with min. 4 gig ram?)

Brgds,
Safc
I have the Minix Z83-4 it is a bit more expensive, but has some advantages: 4GRAM, external 2.4+5Ghz Wifi antenna, full case heat-sink, HDMI and DP video. It works well and can run with a nominal 12V input.

I have two monitors that can work with it:
- LG 24" 1080*1920 IPS HDMI cut off the brick and connected to 12Vnom.
- Samsung 23" Monitor/TV USB player HDMI DP with stereo speakers, also cut off the brick and connected directly.

Both use about 20W full brightness, but I run them at lowest brightness and they use less than half that.
Old 24-07-2017, 09:47   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safc View Post
Dockhead,

Brgds,
Safc
Yes! I do recommend. It's a nice machine, incredibly compact (like 1 1/2 packs of playing cards), and now works fine with no lag. 120 euros! Excellent graphics. You can have dual displays if you don't mind using a VGA connection for one of them. Only 32 gigs of eMMS pseudo SSB drive, but I have OpenCPN, whole world in CM93, a bunch of other programs installed and still have10 gigabytes left. Uses only 10 to 13 watts of power; the power supply is only 18 watts (!). No fan to pull salt air or dust through the chassis. Nice case and very nice mounting bracket included.

It was a great purchase.

My monitor is an 23" Asus 4k gaming monitor. I think any cheap Full HD monitor would be ok.