Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 10:31   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Retirement cruising communications

I just read a few replies until it got into the 'I must have SSB'.

I much, much prefer satellite coms.

Also check out TMobile USA has a world wide roaming data pack for $40 per month. I didn't know about it till I got down here and can't change my TMobile account unless I visit a shop in the US. so check it out before u go.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 11:44   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You must mean the rest of your world. Try crossing the Pacific, or the Atlantic or going from the east coast US to Virgin islands or any of the many other standard passages done by cruisers. You can't rely on cell for weather if you are making passages. There are also many islands where cruisers go that do not have any cellular -- that's part of the beauty of going to remote places. I don't doubt the Med is well covered by cellular.
Don't be ridiculous, the OP wasn't discussing long ocean passages. For his usage, cellular service will be more than enough using weather apps, otherwise sat phone service is better and cheaper than SSB and modem if he decides to cross oceans. The Predictwind app is more than enough information for short 3-4 day passages.

One doesn't need to be in constant contact with the rest of the world 100% of the time, besides... please name one location, one island or country one would care to go to that doesn't have cell coverage today?

The OP can accomplish all he desires with just an iPhone, local SIM cards and a couple of apps along with a $15 annual subscription to Predictwind. Like I wrote earlier "The world has changed."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 12:09   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
One doesn't need to be in constant contact with the rest of the world 100% of the time, besides... please name one location, one island or country one would care to go to that doesn't have cell coverage today?
To quote your opening statement "Don't be ridiculous", Ken.

I'll take your challenge: port Davey, in SW Tasmania... a wilderness anchorage, world heritage listed, one of our very favorite spots in the world. No cell phone, no vhf, only satellite phone (by reputation, we don't have one) and HF radio.

As it happens, there are other areas in Tasmania without cell phone coverage, and still some on the mainland coast of Australia, although coverage is improving. The interior of Oz has huge holes in coverage, but limited access by yacht!

I believe that there are lots of places that yotties go where there is no coverage, Ken. I suppose that you will discount all these facts by saying that they don't meet the "one would care to go " criteria... perhaps that should be rewritten as "where Ken would care to go".

Jim
Old 27-11-2016, 12:28   #34

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

One doesn't need to be in constant contact with the rest of the world 100% of the time, besides... please name one location, one island or country one would care to go to that doesn't have cell coverage today?.....
One rather likes Isla Gordon , no cell coverage there.... nor in most ( 95% ) of southern Chilean Patagonia ( south of Guafo).

I know , ridiculous of one to care to go to such places........
Old 27-11-2016, 13:32   #35

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous, the OP wasn't discussing long ocean passages. For his usage, cellular service will be more than enough using weather apps, otherwise sat phone service is better and cheaper than SSB and modem if he decides to cross oceans. The Predictwind app is more than enough information for short 3-4 day passages.

The OP can accomplish all he desires with just an iPhone, local SIM cards and a couple of apps along with a $15 annual subscription to Predictwind. Like I wrote earlier "The world has changed."
Not sure why you want to call someone else opinion ridiculous because it covers cruising that is outside of your experience. The OP wants to make a passage that is 900 miles to weather. He also wants to be somewhere near the hurricane zone during hurricane season. For my cruising having access to up to date weather info would be critical.

I can name hundreds of anchorages that do not have any cell coverage and I've only been half way around the world.

Predictwind is essentially a GRIB display. If you like it, then I guess usd$15 a month is a good deal for you.
Old 27-11-2016, 15:04   #36
cruiser

The three previous posts are just as ridiculous. The OP stated his objectives, I offered up an excellent choice which avoids spending $2000-$5000, then you guys respond by giving examples of secluded island anchorages in places like Southern Chile. Since you had to look so far from his proposed cruising grounds to find an example, I guess I was correct.

The Op will initially be cruising the USA, he should first try to get by on cellular and see how it works out, that's the smart choice instead of purchasing tons of expensive, outdated techno. We sailed for four days to cross the Bay of Biscay.... didn't need to be in constant email and cellphone contact with the outside. Same goes with offshore California, the Caribbean, East Coast USA and Europe.
Old 28-11-2016, 04:53   #37

Boat: Valiant 42

Guys,

Can we hold up on telling people what to do and simply give some practical advise? They are not the same thing.

The most important device for offshore sailing is an EPiRB. It requires no subscription or ships power to work and will alert shore services if you are in a serious emergency. It does require registration.

There is no low cost, high speed Internet service more than a few miles from land. Therefore, most people get their Internet "fix" when anchored near civilization. Cell service can provide good Internet or you can try visiting the local watering hole where they usually have WiFi. Some marinas offer WiFi but the quality varies a lot.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 10:46   #38

Quote:
The three previous posts are just as ridiculous. The OP stated his objectives, I offered up an excellent choice which avoids spending $2000-$5000, then you guys respond by giving examples of secluded island anchorages in places like Southern Chile. Since you had to look so far from his proposed cruising grounds to find an example, I guess I was correct.

The Op will initially be cruising the USA, he should first try to get by on cellular and see how it works out, that's the smart choice instead of purchasing tons of expensive, outdated techno. We sailed for four days to cross the Bay of Biscay.... didn't need to be in constant email and cellphone contact with the outside. Same goes with offshore California, the Caribbean, East Coast USA and Europe.
Ken, you asked the question 'please name one location, one island or country one would care to go to that doesn't have cell coverage today?' ... I simply answered it... you did not say 'one location in the US or the Med,'

Four days crossing Biscay with no wx info? Hmmmm.... fax via HF sounds a pretty good option to me.
Old 28-11-2016, 11:13   #39

Boat: Catalina 470

Bob,
You've gotten some helpful input from some others already, but if I could digress a bit, maybe we can help you narrow down a few aspects that will be important to you in making your decisions...

1) First off, with 7 months to go, you've got plenty of time!!
So, my best advice is to GO SLOW!
I know the urge to, "go buy some cool stuff"...but, you are in no rush....and little of the equipment you're considering is going to be on any "holiday sale", so no need to rush...
(although, you may find some "boat show specials" in Feb, for the Miami Boat Show)

2) Secondly, please don't throw the M-600 in a dumpster....there are many sailors that will find it useful, probably including yourselves!!
No need for any PACTOR modem at all!!
And, NO need for you to spend any more money on your SSB radio...at least not right now!!!
(see below for details)

3) Third....is the big digression....
Your query is about communications, but you haven't delineated specifically who you wish to communicate to/with, where you wish to communicate to/from, what times, what distances, what information, voice comms, data comms, etc., etc...

There are a rare few cruisers who are running businesses, and/or still working remotely, while out cruising....and their communications requirements are more complicated (and expensive!)...
But, these are the exceptions, and do not seem to apply in your case, so we won't delve into them!

Without knowing exactly what communications you, yourself, require....it is darn near impossible for others to offer specific recommendations...
So, what you get are answers ranging from the "this has worked for me", to the "this is the best thing on the market", to the "don't bother with this", etc., etc....
These are not bad answers....but, since they aren't specific, usually don't actually give you the information you need to make your decisions....

So, the digression is to ask what you need/want???
But....
But, many times this ends up with lots of ancillary discussion, and you rarely get all the facts...

So, perhaps I can start you off with a few facts...based on what you wrote already....and point you to some information / decisions you may not have thought of...

a) You're talking about "retirement cruising communications" and starting in the US, Bahamas, and onto the Caribbean...
If I'm wrong about your needs/applications, please let me know...
But, my guess is that your primary needs for communications are:

1 --- the ability to signal distress...(EPIRB, HF-DSC-SSB Radio, VHF-DSC Radio)

2 --- the ability to signal other vessels, other cruisers, etc...(HF-DSC-SSB Radio, VHF-DSC Radio)

3 --- to be aware of current weather and obtain reasonably accurate forecasts...(HF Radio, VHF Radio, internet access via cell or Wi-Fi)

4 --- to stay abreast of current world events, news, etc...(newspapers, internet access via cell or Wi-Fi, HF radio)

5 --- to occasionally keep in touch with friends and/or family onshore / at home...either via voice call or e-mail....(cellular, or HF-Radio/ship-to-shore call, e-mail via cell or Wi-Fi or HF radio)

6 --- take care of personal business / personal finance...(cellular voice call or e-mail via cellular)

7 --- update blogs, post photos on web pages, etc...(internet access via cell or Wi-Fi, or possibly e-mail via cell or Wi-Fi or HF radio)

{Please note the most effective means of carrying out each of these types of communications, in descending order, in the parentheses....although some may think these are opinions, for the specific cruising grounds mentioned, these are borne out as facts which haven't changed much, except for: improvements in US NWS/NOAA forecast accuracy, cheaper phone and internet services, cheaper ship-to-shore calls, better cell coverage, necessity of paying for much of the Wi-Fi, etc..}

Also note the irony that while I've made my living in satellite communications for decades, I've not mentioned sat comm as being an effective means of communications here...
Hmm??
Why is that, you wonder??
Well, the reason is not that Iridium doesn't work....to the contrary it works well...but, is expensive and along the routes that you describe is completely unnecessary!

If you desire sat comm, then we can discuss the various approaches, but for the application you describe, it seems quite unnecessary....as well as too complicated and expensive!

Also, please take note that for most of the world's cruising grounds and routes (and, of course, all of the areas that you've mentioned), are all well covered by excellent (and FREE) HF Radio weather broadcasts (and other HF radio services) that require NO expensive modems, nor subscriptions....so if you have a working marine SSB radio (or even a good portable unit, capable of receiving these marine broadcasts), you have nothing to buy in this regard!!

b) Along the routes you describe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
...We are now looking into communication options. Our plan is to leave Cleveland (OH) in July and head down Erie Canal. After spending some time with family and friends in NYC, will then make our way to Chesapeake, and then to Myrtle Beach SC. From Myrtle Beach, we plan to make a short offshore jump to the Bahamas (probably 3 to 4 days). From there we plan to do Island hopping (Bahamas, BVI, Netherlands Antilles, etc.) for the Caribbean cruising season. Not sure what we will do or where we will go for hurricane season - considering a number of options.
--- Except for the times you are offshore / on-passage (a day or two island hoping, and possibly a few days on a longer passage)....and the instances that you will purposely be anchored in far remote locales, away from cellular and Wi-Fi (a few days at a time?), you will be served with cellular/3G/4G (by either your current provider and/or local mobile network providers in the various islands/nations) and/or Wi-Fi (either paid subscription or complimentary as a customer/guest)....
Remember, that unlike us in much of the developed / western 1st World, most of places you've mentioned have a majority of their population / technical development near their ports and along their coasts...which provides you with unusually good cellular coverage (and with many of the "cruiser" and "tourist" centric businesses also wanting to attract the $$$, they tend to have good Wi-Fi there, as well as take advantage of cellular coverage)...
Batelco in Bahamas has good coverage (and, you can sometimes just use a US-based roaming plan)...make sure you have an unlocked multiband phone and you'll be able to buy/use SIM cards in the various islands/nations for cheap cell service...
(please read what sailjumanji wrote in post #25... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/retirement-cruising-communications-176275-2.html#post2266614 )

And, here is where an decent external Wi-Fi system ($200 - $250), and a well-installed external cellular "booster" ($500 - $800), will both be of great use!!

Marine WiFi Systems

http://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/

Please understand that it is the installation of the "cell booster", and the placement of its antenna(s), that allow it to work well on-board!!
Do NOT underestimate the need to design and install these properly....failure to do so, will all but insure a frustrating experience, and usually a waste of $$$...
We can discuss this in detail, later!!

And, please understand that while many will browse to passageweather or use predictwind, remember that these are just graphical sites showing the raw computer model data...and if you desire actual human derived forecasts (from seasoned maritime meteorologists) you'll find all of the weather and forecast info for your entire planned cruising areas, directly from the US NWS/NOAA...all for FREE!!
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/home.htm

And, remember that any "affordable" sat comm solution (Iridium or IridiumGo, etc.) will be VERY slow...2.4kb to 4.8kb at best....10 to 20 times slower than dial-up....
And, any PACTOR-modem connections will be about the same, and only slightly faster...
And, as such, these approaches while expensive are rather inefficient (and a total waste), when you have terrestrial means of comms!!!

--- US East coast, Bahamas, SW N. Atlantic, Tropical Atlantic, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, etc., are all very well covered by excellent hi-powered HF transmitters (SSB Voice and Weather Fax), from Chesapeake, VA; New Orleans; Boston; Mobile, etc..
With both multiple weather broadcasts daily (Voice and weather fax charts), from seasoned. experienced maritime meteorologists, with fairly detailed 5-day forecasts, updated every 6 hours...all for FREE!!!
And, resonantly-priced ($0.99/min) two-way voice comms (ship-to-shore comms)

This is where your Icom M-600 (FREE) would come in handy!!

And, this is where I can be of great help to you...not just pointing you to the sources of these, but also show you how it all works....just read some info and watch some videos, and in an hour or so you'll be well on your way to understanding what to do / how to do it....and here again, it's all free!! (nothing to buy, nor subscribe to)

I don't want to over-whelm you here...so, I will just provide a few links and have you peruse them, and get back to us with questions...

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/home.htm

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/hfvoice.htm

http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/fax/marine.shtml

http://www.shipcom.com/frequencies.html

Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/marine-ssb-stuff-how-to-better-use-proeprly-install-ssb-and-troubleshoot-rfi-etc-133496.html

And, lots of free videos...

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2mPZAx2vWzdjTJjHlChruyY

Maritime HF comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2nPNdApNsZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

And, some more specific videos...
HF-DSC Comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2n3z5nlv-ga2zYuPozhUXZX

Icom M-802 Instruction
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2npivDjoFrC-8QKVyMb4tVr

Offshore Sailing (just fun videos, not really on-point here)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2nbwAGh5DKgTCj15iyl6qoY

4) One VERY important point that is often overlooked is the electrical demand that much of the higher-tech products require...
They may look small, but remember that averaged over a year, the average smart phone uses more electricity than the average home refrigerator these days!!!
And, with space for a decent sized solar array fairly limited on a 38 footer, you will need to take all of your electrical requirements into account, when considering what types of communications you can sustain...
Remember, you're not going to want to run an engine or genset just to be able to run all of your goodies!

We can discuss this in further detail if you desire...

5) To sum up....for your stated plans, you can use what you've already got, and have most of all the communications you'll need....(assuming you do have a EPIRB and your M-600 at least receives well)....

And/or, you can spend about $1000 or less (on ext Wi-Fi and ext cell booster), and either use a US-based roaming plan along with local cell plans / local SIM cards, along with your existing M-600 (and current VHF radios), and your "retirement cruising communications" should be all taken care of...

I hope this helps...
BUT...
But, if you have other requirements that you haven't stated here, and/or some specific desires that I haven't hit upon, please let us know...
And, we can be of further help..

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 12:53   #40

Quote:
No, Ken, not correct, just dismissive of any information that disagrees with you. You asked for locations without cell coverage where one might wish to go. Several of us have shown examples of desireable cruising destinations with no coverage . These are not incorrect, nor are they ridiculous. It is you making questionable statements re cell phone coverage for yotties that approaches the ridiculous.

I'm not disagreeing that cell phone based internet is a very useful service, I'm using it as I post this. But it is not universally available.

Jim
Old 28-11-2016, 13:55   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No, Ken, not correct, just dismissive of any information that disagrees with you. You asked for locations without cell coverage where one might wish to go. Several of us have shown examples of desireable cruising destinations with no coverage . These are not incorrect, nor are they ridiculous. It is you making questionable statements re cell phone coverage for yotties that approaches the ridiculous.

I'm not disagreeing that cell phone based internet is a very useful service, I'm using it as I post this. But it is not universally available.

Jim
Read post #39

He just wrote my exact thoughts, only in a much more wordy and complete manner. I agree with the fellow 100%, but don't have all day to write it down.

Go slow and forget about all the expensive outdated equipment. The OP plans on cruising areas with good cell coverage and downloading 3-4 day weather forecasts will be fine.
Old 28-11-2016, 14:04   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Four days crossing Biscay with no wx info? Hmmmm.... fax via HF sounds a pretty good option to me.
We downloaded a four day forecast before setting off. Our SSB and weatherfax have never been used even once over the past six years. Back in 2002, I'm sure the setup was state of the art and very expensive. Today, it just takes up space and can be used if everything else fails I suppose.

But..... My point is, why should the OP invest in stuff that's obsolete by todays standards when he can get by very safely on cellular and VHF equipment that he already owns and like other cruisers like us are using successfully? Unless he just happens to have several thousand dollars buring a hole in his pocket.
Old 28-11-2016, 14:10   #43

Quote:
Read post #39

He just wrote my exact thoughts, only in a much more wordy and complete manner. I agree with the fellow 100%, but don't have all day to write it down.

Go slow and forget about all the expensive outdated equipment. The OP plans on cruising areas with good cell coverage and downloading 3-4 day weather forecasts will be fine.
Read post 32. In it someone (you, Ken) challenged us to name just one cruising destination without cell coverage.

Several of us did so.

You claimed again that we were ridiculous.

That has nothing to do with John's educational post(s), but seems to show that you ignore any post that refutes something you write, preferring to direct attention elsewhere.

Some would view that as a character flaw.

Jim
Old 28-11-2016, 14:11   #44

Boat: Catalina 470

Whoa there Ken!
I didn't interject myself into your ancillary discussion / rant with Jim, and I'd appreciate the same respect from you...please don't pull me into it!!

Besides, if you read what I wrote carefully, I think you'll see that you and I are not in-sync here...
As, I do NOT believe that HF Radio is expensive, nor outdated!!
To the contrary, Bob (the original poster) will be served quite well by his HF radio (and his VHF radio, and cell phone)!!
These are not outdated, nor expensive at all!
And, even more on-point is that I never mentioned him downloading anything!!
(and, I just went back and reread my own posting, and cannot find anything in it that even implies so, except for a mention of "e-mail" or my negative recommendation of a "PACTOR" modem...so, please keep me out of your discussion/rant....thank you.)
Quote:
Read post #39

Ken, as I wrote above, I have respectfully steered clear of your rant/ancillary discussion, and I would appreciate the same respect back from you and not have you twist my words nor try to imply that HF communications is outdated and/or expensive!!

I thank you to keep me out of all the mess...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:55   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Ditto, available most places I've been recently , eg Isla Chiloe except for the one anchorage we were weatherbound in for three days, but not all, eg the Andean side...

But not cheap... $A10 for 14 days/ 3 gig... would add up over the long term.. and as stated the OP already has an HF receiver.. so no added cost there for weather info.

Tags
communications, cruising, men, retirement