Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2022, 13:16   #1

Reverse working on a Raymarine Ev-100 Wheel Autopilot

I'd like to install a new Ev-100 wheel autopilot in a Wharram that I have bought one month ago. It has the rudder wheel installed on the opposite, from bow to stern (attached a photo).

Would it be possible working reverse, for example, by changing the motor wires that go to the course computer? or switch the polarity in the set up menu of the autopilot control head. I don't know, something that makes the autopilot work on the contrary.

Any other suggestion is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-04-16 at 2.21.54 PM.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	256064  
megan_brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 13:34   #2

Re: Reverse working on a Raymarine Ev-100 Wheel Autopilot

I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.

I use a Pelagic tiller actuator with a Raymarine Smartpilot and the ACU simply reverses polarity of the 12v supply to change direction - you reverse the wires if you wish to mount it on the other side of the cockpit.
KompetentKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 09:57   #3

Yes you can reverse the wires to move wheel other way. . Or just run the setup. It will make it right during commissioning.

Those wheel spokes might have issues attaching it. Not sure.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 11:10   #4

great, thank you very much for your help. I want to make sure that it can work by changing the wires before buying and installing it. I'm waiting for a confirmation from an official Raymarine technician before making the investment.

smac, you are right, this steering wheel is not valid. I'm planning to install a new one.
megan_brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 13:11   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Personally having just replaced the ray wheel pilot , I’d say they are very poor autopilot drive. They are slow and weak. Consider a proper below decks linear arm drive.
Old 17-04-2022, 14:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Personally having just replaced the ray wheel pilot , I’d say they are very poor autopilot drive. They are slow and weak. Consider a proper below decks linear arm drive.
Absolutely.

In a thread about tiller pilots on YBW recently, someone made a remark about how they need to be considered relative to their cost. I find it hard to share this view.

With a reliable autopilot you can cross oceans singlehanded - Otto takes care of everything whilst you are asleep below.

The cost of a shitty autopilot is that you can't go sailing - not, at least, in the way you want sail.

I'd never have anything less than a below-decks autopilot if I had a choice.
KompetentKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 20:51   #7

There probably won't be any "below deck" steering parts on a Wharram.
For crossing oceans you might be better to use Wharram's windvane design from his website or see it in action on Lucky Fish YouTube channel.
You may need to disconnect the wheel steering depending on resistance.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 12:28   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KompetentKrew View Post
In a thread about tiller pilots on YBW recently, someone made a remark about how they need to be considered relative to their cost. I find it hard to share this view.

With a reliable autopilot you can cross oceans singlehanded - Otto takes care of everything whilst you are asleep below.

The cost of a shitty autopilot is that you can't go sailing - not, at least, in the way you want sail.

I'd never have anything less than a below-decks autopilot if I had a choice.
I share their view, cost is important. The cheapest RM below deck system is twice the price of a wheel pilot. Must be nice to be in a position not to worry about costs.

Also worth considering that most people don't cross oceans, therefore don't need a long keel, a steel hull and arguably a water maker in Europe. However, I wouldn't criticise someone else's choices if that's what they want.

One question for the OP Megan_Brian, how big is this Wharram? There are size limits based on weight for the RM wheel pilots. Presumably based on a mono, so not sure how this translates to a cat. Can this boat plane or really surf downwind? That might have an impact on the decision.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 20:16   #9

I've installed EV100 wheel on mine a year or so ago. I think you may have several issues installing the wheel drive.

1) it needs some clearance between the pedestal and the wheel itself. Yours look very close together

2) you need to mount the locator pin that holds the back of the wheel unit in place. Again - you may not have enough space for it since the wheel is so close already.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 22:10   #10

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

... Or just run the setup. It will make it right during commissioning.
Yep. It doesn't matter which way it's wired. Step 3.5 in the setup tells the control head which direction is starboard.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, wheel, work