Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2020, 11:00   #16

Re: RG 223U for Iridium Go?

Definitely true about the "big open sky" requirement. Our Iridium GO system works ALL the time when we are sailing. If we are in a marina, surrounded by other boats with masts and "stuff" it can get a connection MAYBE 20% of the time.

This isn't an issue for us, we don't spend any more time than we have to in marinas, and they usually have at least a rudimentary internet connection which works for us. But I can imagine it might be a problem for someone.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 14:25   #17

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

We bought the exterior antenna kit, but never got round to installing it.

We use the Go in a small Tupperware box together with a fat USB battery bank, and have that in the cockpit outside. Works brilliantly.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:30   #18

Boat: Bowman Cutter 48'

Can anyone tell me what the connector identification numbers (or letters) are? I purchased a 15 foot LMR400 to extend the antenna cable so I could mount it on my antenna array at the stern, The connectors supplied do not match up with the iridium antenna!
BERSCHERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:20   #19

Boat: Garcia Exploration 45

FWIW - I opened a ticket with Iridium to ask about both the connector and the recommended cable type. My question, and the response, appear below. To summarize, though: 50ohm TNC connectors with LMR-400 cable (I will be using LMR-400 UF).

Question:
I am in the process of installing an Iridium GO on my sailboat, and I have a question about the cable to be used to connect the external antenna to the unit itself.

The connector at the antenna is TNC. Is this a 50 ohm connector, and should 50 ohm cable be used for the antenna-to-GO cable run? What cable do you recommend?

Response:
Yes it is 50 Ohm. The standard for the cable length including connectors and losses in the antenna should be no more than 3dB loss at 1625MHz at 7 watts. The type of cable used depends on length. The longer the run, the thicker the cable has to be. LMR-400 is common but you can use thinner cable if it isn't too long.
BTW, I recommend using the cable calculator at Times Microwave.

-- Jerry
zorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 14:10   #20

Boat: Islander 36

Does anyone here actually use the rigid cable provided in the package?
Extremely annoying to buy too much expensive useless cable.
Thanks Irridium.

To those that got the LMR 400 UF, can I buy just as much as I need? (18ft) And with the proper ends?
Old 18-06-2021, 22:32   #21

Boat: Garcia Exploration 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Does anyone here actually use the rigid cable provided in the package?

I know at least one sailor who did - with good results.

Quote:
Extremely annoying to buy too much expensive useless cable.

Thanks Irridium.
At least they provided you a cable that will WORK, as opposed to some crappy, high loss cable.

Quote:
To those that got the LMR 400 UF, can I buy just as much as I need? (18ft) And with the proper ends?
You can buy as much or as little as you need from places like DX Engineering, which is where I bought my cable and connectors. https://www.dxengineering.com/

I also bought an expensive crimping kit from them and installed the PL-259 connectors myself. They offer cable assemblies, but I don't see one that is LMR-400-UF. You could ask them; I'll bet they would do a custom assembly.

Note, though, that the hole needed for a connector is a lot larger than the hole needed for just the cable.

-- Jerry (happy LMR-400-UF user)
-- Jerry Callen, s/v Idril, Garcia Exploration 45 hull #25, launched June 2020
zorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium