Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:06   #16

Re: Robnet Network Specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_C View Post
I just recently found the manufacturer of the circular connectors used with Robnet so I have been creating my own cables. I found enough parts on eBay that I am attempting to create a bench scale test system for my AP300 autopilot.
Do you have the manufacturer details and part numbers ?
I need to replace the sockets on some AP displays
tayana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:28   #17
R_C

Boat: 38' Marine Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayana55 View Post
Do you have the manufacturer details and part numbers ?
I need to replace the sockets on some AP displays
The connectors are Amphenol's C091 A/B/D series circular connectors. You can download the 50-page datasheet at http://www.amphenol.info/downloads/c091_en.pdf. Here are Digikey part numbers for the three I've used:

361-1126-ND (IP65)
361-1218-ND (IP40)
361-1075-ND

The last part above I used just to make a short and cheap cable to quickly bench test components.
R_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45   #18

Quote:
The connectors are Amphenol's C091 A/B/D series circular connectors. You can download the 50-page datasheet at http://www.amphenol.info/downloads/c091_en.pdf. Here are Digikey part numbers for the three I've used:

361-1126-ND (IP65)
361-1218-ND (IP40)
361-1075-ND

The last part above I used just to make a short and cheap cable to quickly bench test components.
Thanks ever so much, that will come in useful.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:21   #19

Quote:
Both LCDs are shot on an AP300DL I bought cheaply on Ebay for parts.
As the LCDs are shot, have you tried to remove the actual glass LCD and clean the zebra strips?
Often water gets in and shorts out the contacts, there may also be some corrosion that will clean up OK.

I have seen 120x32 I2C displays, this may be worth a try as they are not expensive. Obviously they are not likely to fit, but you would prove that they work and that the I2C commands are industry standard.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:58   #20
R_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayana55 View Post
As the LCDs are shot, have you tried to remove the actual glass LCD and clean the zebra strips?
Often water gets in and shorts out the contacts, there may also be some corrosion that will clean up OK.

I have seen 120x32 I2C displays, this may be worth a try as they are not expensive. Obviously they are not likely to fit, but you would prove that they work and that the I2C commands are industry standard.
The zebra strips and the contacts on the board are fine. The problem is the liquid crystal between the glass sheets is shot. Here's a picture.

I think any I2C display would have to use the identical controllers used by the existing board. I have a Bus Pirate board on order so I can sniff the I2C and see if it matches the PCF8578 driver's datasheet. If I can decipher the I2C commands then I could use a microcontroller (even an Arduino) to drive another LCD graphic display. But that would only be a solution for the 80x32 LCDs. The larger 160x128 LCD on the AP300DL uses different Toshiba controllers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCD screens.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	66824  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:45   #21

Quote:
The zebra strips and the contacts on the board are fine. The problem is the liquid crystal between the glass sheets is shot. Here's a picture.
Definitely too far gone, looks like they've overheated (left in the sun) and cracked/leaked the fluid.
Old 31-12-2016, 18:01   #22

Quote:
Excellent. I found the DS75176BM chip on the J300 board and downloaded the datasheet from TI. I'll get a TTL to USB converter and start exploring. Then again, I already have an TTL to RS232 converter so I could probably use that with a USB serial adapter. Thanks.
Hello,
I am in need to know the Robnet protocol for AP11 and AP21. I am building my own remote control thru an Android device. Have u got some specifications about the Robnet that u can share? Or point me too? Thx
Chris
captnjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:00   #23
R_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjoshua View Post
Hello,
I am in need to know the Robnet protocol for AP11 and AP21. I am building my own remote control thru an Android device. Have u got some specifications about the Robnet that u can share? Or point me too? Thx
Chris
Unfortunately, I never found any documentation for the Robnet protocol.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:47   #24

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Robnet is a proprietary system. It's my understanding that it is a modification of NMEA 0183, and also carries power. I've never seen any published info on its specs...
Old 03-01-2017, 12:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Robnet is a proprietary system. It's my understanding that it is a modification of NMEA 0183, and also carries power. I've never seen any published info on its specs...
I am aware of proprietary system and most obviously Simrad will not publicly publish specs. Has anyone sniffed anything and got something from the RS-485?
Old 22-03-2017, 10:01   #26

I'm in very similar situation : my AP16 head is dead, but AC40 unit and the rest of the system -- OK. I wonder if this thread is active, and there are some information for Robnet protocol exists...
If so, I would like to know what is the possibility to cooperate.
ma5645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:56   #27
R_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5645 View Post
I'm in very similar situation : my AP16 head is dead, but AC40 unit and the rest of the system -- OK. I wonder if this thread is active, and there are some information for Robnet protocol exists...
If so, I would like to know what is the possibility to cooperate.
I don't know if this is applicable to your AP16 head but I have revived several AP300 control heads by replacing electrolytic capacitors. Using a meter that measures ESR you can test the capacitors on the board.
Old 22-03-2017, 12:35   #28

Quote:
I don't know if this is applicable to your AP16 head but I have revived several AP300 control heads by replacing electrolytic capacitors. Using a meter that measures ESR you can test the capacitors on the board.
Unfortunately, it is a bit different... The salt water get inside -- over time -- and damage some plate and component... The plate may be possible to restore... But I can not identify the component, market as 601 424...
The whole situation drives me crazy as being familiar with electronics, I understand that repair is possible, if the information available...
Also my understanding is that the major job is done in AC40, not the head... and it should be possible to send the information from the computer...
ma5645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:59   #29
R_C

I agree. If the protocol specifications were available, I think it would be simple to build a replacement control head. But I can understand why a commercial entity does not publish their proprietary information.
Old 22-03-2017, 13:06   #30

I haven't found any details about the RobNet specs. I've read it was possible to reverse engineer by sniffing the RS485 port/chip. But will only be able to do so when I get back to my sailboat in april or may 2017.

In mean time, if any can do it...

Tags
paracelle