Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 13:17   #31

Re: Robnet Network Specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_C View Post
I agree. If the protocol specifications were available, I think it would be simple to build a replacement control head. But I can understand why a commercial entity does not publish their proprietary information.
At the beginning I also think that I under stand why they do not publish the proprietary info...
But then, as I think a bit more / being involved a bit more... I failed to understand the logic:
-- the product is dropped and obsoleted; protocol not used in future development;
-- they dropped support completely. They do not want to consider replacement options, etc, etc....
-- I'm ready no sign any none-disclosure agreements, just to learn how to semulate stby/auto knobs... Do not need anything else... They refuse...

From 'pure business, nothing personal' -- I can understand... But boating -- not personal, and failure on the passage -- may be question of life & death... And from that prospective -- I do not understand them... ;-)
ma5645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:50   #32

Marine electronic manufacturers are very "closed" minded about sharing the proprietary protocols and details. It's a bit "old school" compared to the "open source software" approach that proliferates. It has "probably" - although I am not at all convinced of that - help them get started. One thing is for sure, the marine technology market has moved to NMEA 0183/N2K/AIS for data exchange - which is open source...
captnjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:58   #33

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Why they wouldn't release specifications on what is now an obsolete technology (Robnet) is baffling. Perhaps they just can't be bothered. Or, another example of Simrad arrogance. My boat has 14 year old Simrad equipment on it that they absolutely will not service any more. I guess their attitude is that we should be spending $12,000 every ten years to replace entire systems and keep the industry afloat.

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle