Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2023, 06:49   #1

Rogue Wave, Linksys router and Starlink?

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help. I know next to nothing about networks so I’m hoping you can help solve this strange issue before my husband gets so frustrated he chucks his phone into the water. .

We bought a boat in February and had help from crew and the previous owner setting up our Starlink (they were using one too). The network has a Rogue Wave and Linksys router in addition to the Starlink router.

The issue we are having is that very often a device (cell phone, laptop, and occasionally the smart TV) will say there’s no internet, but other devices are connected and the Starlink app is showing good speeds. We have to disconnect and reconnect to the Wi-Fi and normally it immediately picks up the network again.

I’m not sure if this is a firewall issue or the cache needs to be cleared a lot? I’m hoping there’s a setting I can change, if not maybe remove the extra router or Rogue Wave (not sure if they’re needed anymore or have other benefits I’m not aware of)? Thanks again for your help.
LetsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 07:27   #2

Re: Rogue Wave, Linksys router and Starlink?

The Rogue Wave system is really a Wifi antennae. It would need its own router. It seems like this was the system that was the predecessor to Starlink.

Not being there, the Linksys isn't clear. Is it connected to the Rogue Wave or the Starlink?

A network diagram would be useful.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:30   #3

Hi Shrew. My suspicion is the Linksys router is for the Rogue Wave. We have an ethernet adapter for the Starlink router and it's connected to the Linksys router. Does that help? Maybe we need to run some firmware updates?
Old 08-11-2023, 10:17   #4

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo2 View Post
Hi Shrew. My suspicion is the Linksys router is for the Rogue Wave. We have an ethernet adapter for the Starlink router and it's connected to the Linksys router. Does that help? Maybe we need to run some firmware updates?
I would think that the problem is there is a "WAN" outlet for the linksys router. This is the uplink. My guess is the Rogue Wifi is plugged into this. It will automatically route all non-local traffic to the WAN link. You can swap it with the Starlink and then all non-local traffic will go to the Starlink instead, but you can't use the Rogue. You probably need something like this dual WAN router to use both.
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo2 View Post
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help. I know next to nothing about networks so I’m hoping you can help solve this strange issue before my husband gets so frustrated he chucks his phone into the water. .

We bought a boat in February and had help from crew and the previous owner setting up our Starlink (they were using one too). The network has a Rogue Wave and Linksys router in addition to the Starlink router.

The issue we are having is that very often a device (cell phone, laptop, and occasionally the smart TV) will say there’s no internet, but other devices are connected and the Starlink app is showing good speeds. We have to disconnect and reconnect to the Wi-Fi and normally it immediately picks up the network again.

I’m not sure if this is a firewall issue or the cache needs to be cleared a lot? I’m hoping there’s a setting I can change, if not maybe remove the extra router or Rogue Wave (not sure if they’re needed anymore or have other benefits I’m not aware of)? Thanks again for your help.

Have you tried just connecting to the Starlink Wi Fi and disconnecting POWER to the other devices?
Starlink really makes this simple. Extra stuff is great for special cases, yet most people are going to be more then happy with just the starlink kit.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:51   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

h20man is right. If Starlink is in bypass, you will need to reset it (unplug power and plug it in again 3 times in fast succession) then disconnect everything else and only use the Starlink router.

The Rouge Wave and Linksys are for either using a wifi hotspot that is on shore instead of Starlink, or for sharing your Starlink with other boats nearby. If you don't plan on either of those things, just disconnect them.
Old 08-11-2023, 21:25   #7

I doubt the linksys has 2 wan ports. which I think the rouge wave would need one (as well as the starlink if you tried to combine). so really you should be running 2 separate systems. the wave feeding the linksys. with it's own wifi name and password. and the starlink with it's own name and password. I would not try to interconnect them at all, to do that you'd need a pepwave or something that can automatically swap inputs.

turn off the linksys when it's not in use. so the devices won't try to connect to it.

I doub't you'll ever use the rougewave again unless the starlink fails.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:12   #8

Thanks everyone! It does work in the current configuration, but with this glitch. The previous owner had it set up this way but since we haven't needed to use someone else's wifi, I think I'll just take the Linksys and Rogue Wave out of the mix as suggested.

Tags
rogue wave, route