Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2022, 05:58   #16

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: Royal Caribbean Asks FCC To "Expeditiously" Approve Starlink On Cruise Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
I thought the whole purpose of the trip was to get away from the keyboard and enjoy the journey?

I vote for the FCC to say... NO!
I believe in freedom of choice.
Just because the Internet is there there’s not mean that you have to use it.

Al, S/v Finlandia
Old 18-06-2022, 07:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Royal Caribbean Asks FCC To "Expeditiously" Approve Starlink On Cruise Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I believe in freedom of choice.
Just because the Internet is there there’s not mean that you have to use it.
Well exactly. No one is forced to access the internet whether at home or cruising.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 08:45   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

But we are forced to look at all that space junk floating around aren’t we?
Old 18-06-2022, 09:30   #19

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
They already do. Last cruise I was on charged £20 a day for the ultimate package.
So what does the "ultimate package" on a cruise ship include these days? A Rhinvirus with a 10% chance of Covid?

Folks, this post was in jest, I have nothing against cruising. I just prefer it to be on my own boat!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 15:24   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
I'm being facetious now, but there is truth to this image.
No, they're all holding their phones properly for photos, in "landscape" orientation. In real life they'd all be stupidly holding them in "profile" so the video would look like crap on the News or on a laptop or tablet.

Admittedly, the one time I had to leave a sinking boat I did look back and take a few pictures of it. So I guess that part checks out.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 15:41   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
So what does the "ultimate package" on a cruise ship include these days? A Rhinvirus with a 10% chance of Covid?

Folks, this post was in jest, I have nothing against cruising. I just prefer it to be on my own boat!
I sail my own boat but like the odd cruise too.
Old 18-06-2022, 19:19   #22

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
No, they're all holding their phones properly for photos, in "landscape" orientation. In real life they'd all be stupidly holding them in "profile" so the video would look like crap on the News or on a laptop or tablet.
Damn, I thought I was the only one who got pissed at people taking video in portrait mode. And FWIW, the vast majority of photos need to be landscape as well.

Remember the days we actually used cameras? They were designed to be held comfortably in landscape mode and was awkward to turn them to portrait mode. What changed?
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 01:09   #23

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post

We spend a lot of time on our own boat but we also enjoy being pampered on a cruise liner.
Our cruise was with UK P&O and everyone from 12 years old must be fully covid vaccinated and we would not go if that was not a requirement. There is also a covid test the day before embarkation. Both are checked when embarking.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 03:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Damn, I thought I was the only one who got pissed at people taking video in portrait mode. And FWIW, the vast majority of photos need to be landscape as well.

Remember the days we actually used cameras? They were designed to be held comfortably in landscape mode and was awkward to turn them to portrait mode. What changed?
That's what changed. A good percentage of the people alive today have never used a camera. They have only ever held their phone one way. It would never occur to them to hold it in landscape orientation.

That's how we get that news footage of, say, a fight on an airplane, which is just a vertical slot on the screen. The news outlets try to make it tolerable by adding blurred versions of the video on either side of it, but I don't know how you can look at those and not think "I want to see what's outside the frame!"

I think we'd be doing the younger generations a favor by teaching them how to hold the phone when taking photos and videos. Maybe find a way to add that somewhere in the school curriculum. Or make a TikTok; that might reach them.
Old 19-06-2022, 04:29   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I sail my own boat but like the odd cruise too.
Did a Caribbean cruise with the family once and it was actually quite enjoyable. One trick is to avoid the mobs so when you first arrive at the port let everyone queue up for departure for about a half hour and then go straight off.

Several friends have done river cruises in Europe and thought they were great. Also hear that a cruise up the Inside Passage (Seattle to Alaska) is amazing and since I doubt I'll ever get a boat over to that part of the world likely my only shot at doing that.
Old 19-06-2022, 04:32   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post

I have the opposite peeve. All computers now come only with landscape mode screens but my primary use is reading and editing documents that are all in portrait mode.
Old 19-06-2022, 07:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have the opposite peeve. All computers now come only with landscape mode screens but my primary use is reading and editing documents that are all in portrait mode.
Interesting outlook. I suspect you're not alone. The world is certainly going "profile."

I just hope I'm not around to see the day the first movie theater boasts about their new "tall screen" with the same ratio as a cell phone.
Old 19-06-2022, 08:10   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Arrow Re: Royal Caribbean Asks FCC To "Expeditiously" Approve Starlink On Cruise Ships

Quote:
Portrait [Vertical] Monitors are available:
https://www.vssmonitoring.com/best-vertical-monitor/

How to rotate the screen in Windows 7, 8, and 10

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/f...creen-computer

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 09:26   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Portrait [Vertical] Monitors are available:
https://www.vssmonitoring.com/best-vertical-monitor/

How to rotate the screen in Windows 7, 8, and 10

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/f...creen-computer
Thanks. Gone to laptops so option 1 not an option.

Option 2 I didn't see the part about rotating the keyboard at the same time as the screen. Either have to turn my head sideways to read the screen while I'm typing or set the laptop on it's side so I can read the screen but rotate my hands to type.

Unfortunately not flexible enough to do either.
Old 19-06-2022, 14:16   #30

Quote:
Thanks. Gone to laptops so option 1 not an option.
Just connect the laptop to an external monitor. I've found them cheap at the second hand store. Or get an external keyboard.

I'll go to my grave preferring landscape mode. Both TVs and movie screens have gotten wider over the years, so I assume I'm not the only one. But I maybe that will change as old timers die off.

Tags
Caribbean, cruise, cruise ship, rib