Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2022, 15:12   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Royal Caribbean Asks FCC To "Expeditiously" Approve Starlink On Cruise Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'll go to my grave preferring landscape mode. Both TVs and movie screens have gotten wider over the years, so I assume I'm not the only one. But I maybe that will change as old timers die off.
We're way off the topic now, but our eyes and visual perception are designed for "landscape mode".
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 17:43   #32

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Royal Caribbean Asks FCC To "Expeditiously" Approve Starlink On Cruise Ships

Cool... gone from internet at sea to portrait monitor orientation, to taking photos and videos in landscape mode. Now that is progress. LOL
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 06:48   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Just connect the laptop to an external monitor. I've found them cheap at the second hand store. Or get an external keyboard.
Except the external monitor doesn't fit in my carryon backpack with my traveling laptop and falls off the nav table when the boat heels over.

Quote:
I'll go to my grave preferring landscape mode. Both TVs and movie screens have gotten wider over the years, so I assume I'm not the only one. But I maybe that will change as old timers die off.
I also prefer landscape mode in almost all situations (except editing large documents). Seems like the native mode of my eyes is landscape since they are oriented side by side instead of vertically.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 07:08   #34

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
That's what changed. A good percentage of the people alive today have never used a camera. They have only ever held their phone one way. It would never occur to them to hold it in landscape orientation.

That's how we get that news footage of, say, a fight on an airplane, which is just a vertical slot on the screen. The news outlets try to make it tolerable by adding blurred versions of the video on either side of it, but I don't know how you can look at those and not think "I want to see what's outside the frame!"

I think we'd be doing the younger generations a favor by teaching them how to hold the phone when taking photos and videos. Maybe find a way to add that somewhere in the school curriculum. Or make a TikTok; that might reach them.
Watching the 6 o'clock news one night recently and the anchor guy actually told viewers (after watching a portrait view video) to please only take videos in landscape mode and he held up his phone to show everyone how to hold it.
Picture/video taking 101. Everyone should take lessons.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 10:43   #35

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have the opposite peeve. All computers now come only with landscape mode screens but my primary use is reading and editing documents that are all in portrait mode.

Which is why I have 4 screens and one is in portrait orientation for docs and the rest in landscape for spreadsheets
Old 20-06-2022, 11:58   #36

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
...Seems like the native mode of my eyes is landscape since they are oriented side by side instead of vertically.
I love it! Someone needs to make a meme. Photoshop a face to put the eyes vertically, and add some pithy comment like "This is how we'd all look if we were meant to view videos the way you take them."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 12:37   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Which is why I have 4 screens and one is in portrait orientation for docs and the rest in landscape for spreadsheets
How do you fit that all on a 27' C&C? And keep it from making dents in the cabin sole when you go sailing?

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 13:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Ideally it is, but for some people, depending on work requirements, etc. having connectivity makes the difference of going vs not going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Most cruisers like to communicate via text and email, read the news, send pictures, talk to other passengers, etc… life doesn’t stop just because you go on a cruise.
Exactly.

Not to mention keeping in touch with family members who need some watching over.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 23:10   #39

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

It's pretty pathetic that Royal Caribbean's whole premise for asking the FCC to approve Starlink is to help all those poor unfortunate soles who are employed by RC to keep in contact with their families who are far away . . . . what a bunch of garbage . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 15:00   #40

Quote:
How do you fit that all on a 27' C&C? And keep it from making dents in the cabin sole when you go sailing?

Well you can use folding arms
Until she gets tired of holding the monitors
Smirk [emoji57]
Old 21-06-2022, 15:05   #41

Can’t edit
But get a monitor that rotates
Old 22-06-2022, 02:41   #42

Extremely stupid question on the landscape vs portrait mode, but isn't the camera aperture round? One wonders why photos aren't all square (or round).
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 04:50   #43

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Extremely stupid question on the landscape vs portrait mode, but isn't the camera aperture round? One wonders why photos aren't all square (or round).
The sensor is not round.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 05:24   #44

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The (round) lens just focuses light onto the CCD Chip:

They could be made any shape. The rectangular shape has always been preferred, but technology always leans toward that shape, too. Think about old glass-plate cameras. The first TV tubes were round, but to paint the image the beam was scanned horizontally, then moved down to scan the next line, hence a horizontal (800x600) image. Movie film is just a strip of horizontal images. It turns out people prefer wider images to more square ones. So movies got wider, and later, TVs got wider.

Until today, when people younger than a certain age are pushing the norm the other way, towards tall, thin images. It'll be fun to watch where this goes.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 06:59   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
Meanwhile, Dish Network is asking Musk and the FCC to yank service from people installing Starlink on moving objects because this approval hasn't been granted.
They're obviously doing so with the best intentions in mind...
nestorph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruise, cruise ship, rib