Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 18:53   #1

Boat: Cabot 36 - Que Sera
Safety wire for radome

My Scanstrut sc-20 came with a safety wire that attaches at one end to a through-bolt connected to the Garmin 18 it supports. However, it seems from the instructions that the other end should be attached by rivets to the Garmin 18 radome itself. I’m reluctant to do so and would welcome feedback on whether it’s something I should do — and if so, where to drill the rivet holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9101.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	170817
chuck g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 19:01   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Safety wire for radome

The safety wire is there in case you're working on the radome with the stick up and you up the mast, to keep from dropping it 30' to the deck.

I would leave it off. If you ever need to take the radome off while you're up there, you can install the wire then if you feel you need to.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 19:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck g View Post
My Scanstrut sc-20 came with a safety wire that attaches at one end to a through-bolt connected to the Garmin 18 it supports. However, it seems from the instructions that the other end should be attached by rivets to the Garmin 18 radome itself. I’m reluctant to do so and would welcome feedback on whether it’s something I should do — and if so, where to drill the rivet holes.

Attachment 170817
My personnel opinion (and worth every penny you paid for it...)

This is a way for the maker of the bracket to transfer liability to the boat owner if the radome falls to deck.

Did you use lock nuts? or nuts and lock washers? Do you have a regular inspection protocol for your mast and rig where you check said nuts? Then this wire is a waste of effort.

There are LOTS of things over your head on your boat--held up with fewer than four locknuts--without redundant "safety wires."
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 19:15   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would install it. I've had to mess with my radar twice and both times I could have dropped the cover. Safety first.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 19:58   #5

the ones I've seen rivit to the mast. so if the whole mount breaks off, the mount and radar will be hanging by that wire.

you don't remove the covers of new radars, so I wouldn't be concerned with droping the cover.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 20:05   #6

https://scanstrut.com/images/technic...structions.pdf

pic 5. one end is on the mount, the other end is on the mast.

those instructions are pretty bad though. I've only used the seaview ones. see pic 15-18. much clearer

http://www.seaviewglobal.com/system/...l_Template.pdf
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:41   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the ones I've seen rivit to the mast. so if the whole mount breaks off, the mount and radar will be hanging by that wire.

you don't remove the covers of new radars, so I wouldn't be concerned with droping the cover.

That is correct. I just did this job. One end of the loop goes to radome's underside, the other to a rivet on the mast.
You can see this safety wire running up the Scanstrut mount, under its riveted base, and just above the top right "arm" of the base on the mast.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 12:17   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Hmmm...rivets. Metal installed into radome. If it is one of the new systems that don't send out a lot of power and tolerate metal bits, that might be fine. If there's any concern about that, you might instead drill two small holes in the radome, and install a loop of Kevlar or Aramid cordage. Kevlar kite string in particular is very strong and inexpensive, even 2-3mm. thick it may be rated at 300-500#. Seal the two holes with a little epoxy or other maerial. Now you've got a loop of strong material, and you can use a clip or carabiner or simply more cordage to attach the safety line. No interference, no problems.

I knew a marine aviation mechanic, old-timer from Pacific flying boat runs, who used to attach a safety line to every tool he used. He said "After the first time you drop a wrench, and you can see it very clearly a hundred feet down on the bottom beneath you, your attitude about these things changes."

He was a good mechanic, too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 12:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If could see it, I’m going for it.
However I usually drop tools into less than a foot of vis water. My high dollar Snap On ratcheting screwdriver is in the Vero Beach mooring field.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 13:03   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I knew a marine aviation mechanic, old-timer from Pacific flying boat runs, who used to attach a safety line to every tool he used. He said "After the first time you drop a wrench, and you can see it very clearly a hundred feet down on the bottom beneath you, your attitude about these things changes."
The ultimate dropped wrench story:

1980 Damascus Titan missile explosion
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 13:15   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yeah, surprising THEY didn't have an SOP requiring tethers on the tools. I guess someone forgot to tell them that missiles can be counted as munitions, huh?

a64-
WAIT. You *usually* drop high value tools into the water? Give me your agenda, I'm tired of going to the big box stores.(G) I've been fairly lucky that way, most of what I drop has tended to immediately "duck and cover" under something like an engine or other obstruction. Once I dropped the black plastic road pan of my car and painted it gloss white, and then repainted it because I'd painted the wrong side, figuring that if I dropped something at least I'd be able to SEE it against the white. Nope, doesn't matter, just like a white bilge you'll never find where the clever little critters have gone.
I do sometimes stick a rare earth magnet on the end of a tool, to help keep a screw attached while I'm working with it. Seems like the damnedest tools and parts are only non-magnetic when you NEED them to be magnetized, doesn't it?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety