Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 12:00   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
Sailing Simulator!

Does anyone have experience with a computer sailing simulator program? I found one online by Posey Yacht Design for $44.00 and it seems to include quite a few helpful scenarios like anchoring, manuvering under power in a crowded area, and of course actual sailing. Before I blow 44 bucks on this I was hoping that someone could tell me if they found a simulator helpful or maybe recommend a brand? Any feedback would be appreciated. Eric
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 12:48   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Wow! How does it look like - is it like a cockpit surrounded by panoramic screens or somethin'?

I think simulators are good fun (sort of like a video game) but useless if meant to teach the real skill.

However, they say that Formula 1 drivers exercise a lot on their video consoles, so perhaps there is a place for sailing simulators too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 13:01   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Does anyone have experience with a computer sailing simulator program? I found one online by Posey Yacht Design for $44.00 and it seems to include quite a few helpful scenarios like anchoring, manuvering under power in a crowded area, and of course actual sailing.
You can download their simulator and find out if it works for you.

I found the graphics to be limited but the AI for the racing scenarios to be pretty good. That said I haven't bought it because I thought it was of some use but not a home run. I would like to see a lot more user controls in the environment. For example I import a section of charts and set the points or I control what the boats looks like. This is usually a fairly easy thing in so many other programs.

But, again, I think this is a decision best made by you.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 00:58   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I never found one that was any good.

Its not like the guy who did Microsoft Flight Simulator for Professioanls knocked by a sailing one in his lunchtime..... Its more like some drunk had a go at ripping people off....

Now that I think of it, Microsoft Flight Simulator uses all the same instruments as boats, plus vhf radio etc. It would probably be just as good to get one than a boaty one.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 02:27   #5

Question FS

I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulator since 2003, it's just excellent. When you compare it to flying to real life the forces are almost the same, skip feedback. I would say that MFS is pretty much the best simulator for anything out there.

The main problem though like with all simulators, it's a simulator. You don't really have the same point of view. I can't "turn" my head in the sim like I do in a real plane. I can't "feel" the G-force. I can't "feel" my orientation and adjust like in real life, a must for smaller planes. I can't squint through the window looking for traffic. And this doesn't get solved with the level-D simulators that cost 40 million dollars, those distort you're vision of the real thing even more.

As for sailing, it's even harder. There is less "technical" stuff like there is with flying. All you have is the wheel and a couple of winches. A chartplotter and an autopilot max. Sailing is more about "feeling the boat" and "feeling the wind" and "feeling the spray.

What do you think?
aviationalyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 04:46   #6

This simulator is a waste of your money.
Better look at ie. Virtual Skipper or Ship Simulator.

Good luck with your search.
DOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 05:33   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to DarkBlue
Have you tried "Virtual Sailor"? Virtual Sailor - Virtual Sailing Simulator
Not perfect but till now the most accurate I could find. Lots of boats and scenery to download and with all the navigation instruments (sextant included).

DB
DarkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote